Pellet cost

I was at the range a few years ago when I heard a conversation between a couple guys where one of them was complaining about the cost of ammo. The old guy responded with "just be glad that you live in a country where you can even buy guns and ammo and stop complaining of the cost!" That reply has stuck in my head all these years.

I was at the range a few years ago when I heard a conversation between a couple guys where one of them was complaining about the cost of ammo. The old guy responded with "just be glad that you live in a country where you can even buy guns and ammo and stop complaining of the cost!" That reply has stuck in my head all these years.
There is a reason to support 2A organizations. WE can have Air Guns that are not limited to a lousy 12 FPE. Heck we can have a .50 BMG if we want, and can afford the ammo, and reside in a free state.

Pellets are cheap shooting, possible exception, spitballs. Typical cemterfire rifle match cost me about 75.00 in ammo plus 6 to 8 hours to prepare it. About 35 steps to load each piece of competitive cemterfire bench rest ammo. I love my pellet gun more every day.
I hear you; I absolutely love not having to police my brass and not doing everything else associated with rolling your own.

I’m actually in the manufacturing sector in USA.
We use a lot of steel, alum and plastics in raw form. I will say that materials have come back down to a point. Some more than others.

1-2 years into covid when we ran into shortages I was talking to my plastics supplier and they were dealing with a resin shortages.
Now when I talk to them..it’s seems shortages are taken care off. But they claim “operations cost” as the reason for prices not falling back to pre covid.
Your guess is as good as mine..but that could mean anything from personnel to utility costs…or a combination of everything.
All the being said..I don’t see how JSB can maintain retail price with what’s happening worldwide. It’s not possible..they would go out of business.

On a side note…nsa did also raise prices just a bit. Box for 20.2 slugs is not $21. But you can use every one of them, no damage. That’s what I shoot

Seems that Wallymart will not ship to CA, I know you can't get PB ammo in this %$# forsaken state but pellets from Wallymart...REALLY, everyone else has zero issue shipping here.
Any state east of CA will happily take you as your new place of residence. There is one or two on the east coast I would avoid though. 😂😂

Really you're using a 50 cal as an example? .22 LR is more like it.
Before I quit PB’s two years ago I was using Lapua Midas Plus. I didn’t shoot tons of it but it is now $19 for 50 rounds. That’s 38¢ each. And that’s if you could find it. Next step for me if costs go crazy on pellets will be archery. Until you Robinhood one or put one in the woods, my shooting cost should be pretty low.

Before I quit PB’s two years ago I was using Lapua Midas Plus. I didn’t shoot tons of it but it is now $19 for 50 rounds. That’s 38¢ each. And that’s if you could find it. Next step for me if costs go crazy on pellets will be archery. Until you Robinhood one or put one in the woods, my shooting cost should be pretty low.
You haven't seen the price of Archery stuff have you? It's another rabbit hole. I have a cheapie recurve that works just fine for me, when I really want to demonstrate how much I suck at archery.

You haven't seen the price of Archery stuff have you? It's another rabbit hole. I have a cheapie recurve that works just fine for me, when I really want to demonstrate how much I suck at archery.
Yes I have. I bought a barebow last year, crossbow year before, two Hoyt compounds couple years ago and a PSE fishing compound.
I remember the first day I took the barebow to the range thinking, oh boy no more ammo cost. Then I robinhooded an arrow/s. There’s $20 in arrows down the drain. Fortunately it was pure luck and hasn’t happened since.
I saw a crossbow set up this fall, with some kind of electronic scope, the package was over $4000. For a crossbow. Nope.

Last edited:
Some of us remember when gas was 35 cents per gallon. It went to 50 cents. We all freaked out. In my life this situation has happened at least four times. The economy is not a straight line. It goes up and down. Get used to it. Happened before and it will again.

There have been as many as 48 recessions in the United States dating back to the articles of confederation.

Pellets have gotten very expensive. It pays to shop around. Trenier Airguns has really good prices and fast service.

Thanks for the link... I looked at the site.. Anyway to call to talk to sales to get info.. Do you have a phone # for them ?

It costs me $0.50/round to shoot my 300 blackout and $0.25-30 for my 223 and 9mm is currently only around $0.15/round -

some of these slug companies are ****ing ripoffs - $0.66 for 357 slugs .... it's just a damn slug, no powder, no primer, no ****ing brass casing which is the most expensive part of a bullet.