JTS Airacuda and Airacuda Max Introductions

For the testers. Have any of you tried a right side thumb hold on the Max ? May sound crazy but I try to shoot everything with my thumb on my strong side of the stock. This came about shooting lever actions and falling block rifles with tang mounted peep sights. This also aids in manipulation of the action and naturally applying less torque to the rifle. Anyway, it has always felt unnatural to me to drag my thumb out of a thumhole stock in order to work a bolt.

A vertical thumb position will near always induce LESS grip torque while allowing a more direct thumb to trigger finger squeeze, thus allowing the relaxing of the 3 lower fingers on the grip.
Target / Competition shooters have known this for years !!
Did you try it with the Max ? I have a couple of thumhole stocks that I can grip in this manner, with one I had to modify the stock . I shot Service Rifle and Smallbore Three Position most of my life griping thumb over and doing very in well in those matches. It was about twelve years ago that I decided to install tang sights on a few of my rifles , went with strong side thumb and immediately liked it. That was when I noticed that my PRS friends where doing the same, I was one of the cool kids and did not know it ;)

Did you try it with the Max ? I have a couple of thumhole stocks that I can grip in this manner, with one I had to modify the stock . I shot Service Rifle and Smallbore Three Position most of my life griping thumb over and doing very in well in those matches. It was about twelve years ago that I decided to install tang sights on a few of my rifles , went with strong side thumb and immediately liked it. That was when I noticed that my PRS friends where doing the same, I was one of the cool kids and did not know it ;)
Yes the MAX can be shot with a scrunched up thumb along side the grip. tho not comfortable or allowing a Thumb / Finger pinch which would be IMO the primary reason for such a grip / hold on rifle :unsure:

Now with my D75 stock fitted to the Standard, primary way it holds is Thumb Up !!! Love it ......

Reactions: Singleshotcajun
Also can do some more detailed tuning by adjusting the poppet travel ( don't know if it's still available in the full production models ) but it is there in my .25 Standard.
I think we may have a misleading Q&A on this ?
On BOTH models the POPPET sits on the seat in the same manor, uses a conically wound spring providing preload.
* The Intake / Retention cover for the assembly screws into a threaded bore and has deep threading allowing a VERY LARGE RANGE of PRELOAD adjustablity to the poppet spring.
There is NO ADJUSTMENT for "per-say" poppet travel :eek:

Yes the MAX can be shot with a scrunched up thumb along side the grip. tho not comfortable or allowing a Thumb / Finger pinch which would be IMO the primary reason for such a grip / hold on rifle :unsure:

Now with my D75 stock fitted to the Standard, primary way it holds is Thumb Up !!! Love it ......
I would be flexing on that one too ,very nice. I'm not much one for jealousy but ;)

I think we may have a misleading Q&A on this ?
On BOTH models the POPPET sits on the seat in the same manor, uses a conically wound spring providing preload.
* The Intake / Retention cover for the assembly screws into a threaded bore and has deep threading allowing a VERY LARGE RANGE of PRELOAD adjustablity to the poppet spring.
There is NO ADJUSTMENT for "per-say" poppet travel :eek:
😄
😄😄 yeah me not the most technically advanced airgunner, neither the best with terms,.....I just remember when I opened up the gun several months ago there was some kind of adjustment down there in the poppet valve unit 😄 ....now that you mention it was the pre-load for the poppet spring.

Either way, pretty darn good in a 300 bucks gun to have Hammerspring adjustment, 5 positions transfer port adjuster and a poppet spring adjuster,.......that should do for some nice fine tuning.

When the in stock date was end of July, I stuck, August stuck, again September but now end of October. Got another email from Pyramid today and decided to cancel/refund on the .22 Max and wait on the standard in .25. When I ordered them I knew the stock on the Max was not my cup of tea, and I am already flush with good shooting .22 PCP’s.

It looks like the Airacuda has a steel airtube and the Max might have an aluminum tube. Yes, no, maybe?
From what i have found out with reviews.. the stock is shorter and thicker on the MAX it also comes with a regulator. The reg version does have a presure hand dial on it. the rest of the gun has been said to be the same..

From what i have found out with reviews.. the stock is shorter and thicker on the MAX it also comes with a regulator. The reg version does have a presure hand dial on it. the rest of the gun has been said to be the same..
Well no, the Standard has a smaller diameter airtube and it's steel vs alluminum in the MAX, also the Standard has a transfer port 5 positions power adjuster that the MAX does not have

Reactions: msmithers2
Velocity adjuster is JUST A FLOW CHOKE having nothing to do with pressure.
The upper receivers between BOTH versions WILL NOT interchange either, nor will the stocks.
FYI ...

Actually only a few parts are common between MAX and the STANDARD.

Barrels and shroud parts, Cocking handle & shuttle, Hammer ( tho weight varies on caliber ), Valves parts and gauges, Trigger group is about it for interchange.

Air tubes, end caps, plenum, valve housing, hammer housing, receiver, barrel band, stocks are DIFFERENT with No interchange.

Last edited:
Reactions: Singleshotcajun
Well, after I had Pyramid refund my money it seems the shipment of rifles is eminent for docking about five miles from my workplace, I'll wave to them as they pass ;). One question . Does the Standard Airacuda have a baffle stack and is it effective ? I'm out of the "que" for one but am still interested. Hoping to order one from Mike @ FDAR. Nothing against PA but in my dealings with both Mike gets the win for customer service.