Coyote Airgun?

I have the EVOL Paradigm in .30 and the FX Crown in .25. Both bought specifically for Coyotes. So far have just been researching youtube coyote hunting with PCP air guns and I am confident either rifle and caliber is suitable for coyote head shots out to 50-75 yards. We have an AGN member in the hunting section that has some very interesting videos as well.

Reactions: muradtexas
It's good you have a budget outlined as a guide. But I think you can narrow your options further in some cases.

If I was walking around for several hours, the reservoir would not be my highest priority. Typically I get maybe 3 shot opportunities at a maximum in one day. Now if you got a semi auto and a pack arrives you may want the larger reservoir from time to time but it's probably not worth going out of your way to get a huge tank for Coyotes. Although there are exceptions to most things in life. I've been out in western Indiana and had a pack of 15 Coyotes come by several times on one property. It's usually rare though. For an all day walker you'll want something lighter and probably smaller.

Contrasting that, if I was at a stationary position like a blind or similar I might just buy the Umarex Gauntlet 30 for example. The weight and size of the air rifle is going to be a consideration depending on your use cases. That Uragan is a sweet rifle. I never shot it though. Only held it.

As for caliber, they are not all equal by caliber. This is a fairly large departure from powder burners. A 22 cal takes Coyotes if you can place the shot. I'd make sure you get something that can at least put out 50lbs muzzle energy. If I was going for body shots all day, I'd start with 30 cal.

I found that Coyotes fidget around a lot and move. This can test your patience if you're thinking head shots. It may also become a factor in the choice of optics. At close in ranges inside 30 yards I like something with a wide field of view.

If you're shooting beyond 50 yards, my guess is that you'd be better off taking body shots with a 30 cal that can generate over 70ft lbs at the muzzle. Which in 30 is easy to find... Head shots at that range may be few and far between depending on the situation. If you can get them to sit still with bait, then it could open up that option.

As long as your ammo can reach out to the desired ranges accurately and with enough power then you'll kill em.

Last edited:
I know I’m jumping in here kinda late and I’ve only read the first page of replies. However take it from someone who has experience, please get AT LEAST A 30 CALIBER AIRGUN AND ONE OF THE HIGHER POWERED ONES at that!
Also MAKE IT A SLUG SHOOTER!
while it’s plenty true that it’s all about shot placement coyotes rarely hold still and you mentioned 50 to 100 yards. At that range you’ll find out precise shot placement is easier said than done. I think a 30 caliber higher powered slugger the practical minimum for consistent/humane/clean kills on coyotes. I don’t mean to start an argument and I know it can be done with a .25 but much better with a .30.
I’d be looking at uragun 2/ Vulcan 3/ fx impact or dynamic/ evol .30 etc.
have a great Christmas!

I’ve used 30 cal L2 and did good on coyotes, it was a 600mm setup at 105fpe But I also got a couple setup as a 350mm running hades. I would definitely consider Derrick(zx10wall) at tenacious Airguns, i got my ghost from him and I was really impressed with his work. I would go vulcan3 from him or rattler

Last edited:
Or the vulcan in 30 cal.

I know I’m jumping in here kinda late and I’ve only read the first page of replies. However take it from someone who has experience, please get AT LEAST A 30 CALIBER AIRGUN AND ONE OF THE HIGHER POWERED ONES at that!
Also MAKE IT A SLUG SHOOTER!
while it’s plenty true that it’s all about shot placement coyotes rarely hold still and you mentioned 50 to 100 yards. At that range you’ll find out precise shot placement is easier said than done. I think a 30 caliber higher powered slugger the practical minimum for consistent/humane/clean kills on coyotes. I don’t mean to start an argument and I know it can be done with a .25 but much better with a .30.
I’d be looking at uragun 2/ Vulcan 3/ fx impact or dynamic/ evol .30 etc.
have a great Christmas!
Merry Christmas!! I think I may have misspoken. What I meant to say is that the shooting is likely to take place within 50 yards, 100 being the limit (but not very likely). In other words, I'd like for it to have enough power for coyote at 100, but I don't really plan on stretching it that far.

Merry Christmas!! I think I may have misspoken. What I meant to say is that the shooting is likely to take place within 50 yards, 100 being the limit (but not very likely). In other words, I'd like for it to have enough power for coyote at 100, but I don't really plan on stretching it that far.
I think the 30 cal will do it just fine as Ive done it with a 25 cal at 100.