25 yard and under pcp

Looking for my first pcp gun. Will be using for squirrels in my backbyard. Needs to be as quiet as possible and accurate. Most shots will be between 10 to 20 yards. I am not new to the shooting world just air guns. Have a Gamo 640 and it is just too loud. Looking for recommendations that will meet my specific application. Air gun and scope....let me know what you would use.

give us a budget. Let us know if the budget is gun only or for everything. You need a close focusing scope too. You will need a way to fill it. You definitely want a .177 or .22 cal. Given your discription.....a .177 cal.

Lastly.....at those ranges and squirrels....a nice .177 springer would do the job cheapest probably. Like a TX200mk3 in .177 with some jsb pellets. Quiet and accurate.

CZ/Air Arms s200 FT in .177. add a TKO moderator and scope of your choice-Leapers/UTG 3-12 swat compact would work well. Only negative is there is no safety, you can get a multi-shot kit if you need a repeater. Light, short accurate and efficient on air.
AA-S207SRBM_zm.jpg

Everybody has their own idea of what quiet is and I have no idea how close your neighbors are but all air rifles will make some noise. If your Gamo shoots pellets around 1100 feet per second it would crack like a .22 LR. If so did you try heavier pellets?

If you are in the market for a new rifle though I like the Benjamin Marauder. They are entry level priced (even cheaper used !), easy to work on, inexpensive magazines and spare parts as well as lots of after market parts, not too hard to fill with a pump (buy a good one, Hill or equivalent) and I think quiet enough to shoot in a neighborhood although it can be heard. I would recommend a .177; accurate and powerful enough for the distances you're shooting and you get lots of shots for the pumping. In addition it will be the most quiet.

As for a scope most any will work for your distance but as the earlier poster said you will need one with an adjustable focus because most won't focus much under 10 yards. Pellets arc a lot and I find a mil dot scope or one with marks on the reticle help a lot for distance and with wind. Pellets get moved by wind a lot especially .177.

Welcome and Good Luck !!

Reactions: OldSchooler
Check out the Brocock Concept Standard S6 and Brocock Contour $395-$495 price range. Available in .177 and .22, Contours come with Huggetts (threaded M10X1.0) and owners report one ragged hole/cloverleaf accuracy at 25yrds. Concept S6 has M10X1.0 threads for a LDC (Neil Clague, TKO, DonnyFL etc). The Contours are especially short, light and very well handling (31" AOL with Huggett, 4.5lbs). 16ft/lbs is more than enough to get the job done within 25yrds.

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/my-brocock-xl-s6-review/

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/just-received-my-first-pcp-brocock-contour-s6-elite-22/

http://www.airgunnation.com/topic/brocock-contour-questions/

For a scope at that range, I'd check out the Hawke Airmax 3-9X or 4-12X line with AMX reticles if your budget allows.

Stay away from AirForce. The scope mounts too high so there are hold over issues at short range. Marauders are hefty if that's okay, or may the p-rod. New on the market is Kral and the Gauntlet both from PyraymdAir, both look fine for the money.

If you are patient and opened mined, shopping the used market can be good. A used Air Arms 410 or 510 would be super.

OldSchooler, a basic UTG scope will definitely get the job done at the distances you are talking about. I have one of those mounted on one of my springers, and it's big brother on a Marauder. Like others have said, the Marauder is quiet. The Maximus with a TKO is even quieter. When looking at your budget for a PCP, include the cost of filling it with air. This means a hand pump if you are looking at controlling cost. The next tier up is a tank, but you will need a local place which can fill it (not assured unless you live in a big city), or an electrically powered compressor.

"Deja"Good choice but if your just doing 10-20 yards i would suggest to try and find a lower powered pcp. like a sub 12 english setup? Going to save you a lot of air and noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwfOSG3m6wc&t=219s
The S200 ft is a 12 ft. lb. gun, the 10 meter version is around 6 ft. lbs., so either will be very quiet (with a moderator) and efficient on air. I have the S200 "hunter" in .22, it does 16-17 ft lbs. and with a moderator is quieter than my .22 Marauder.

Thanks everyone, wife says I already have enough guns. But we all know that you can never have too many guns. This will be my first pcp and I am sure the first of many that I can sneak into the house. Not worried about the tank. Use to be into saltwater aquarium and can probably scrape up an old bottle for Co2. I think I can get it filled with O2. But if not have no problem filling with a hand pump to keep cost down.

I just have a massive squirrel problem and really wanting a new hobby. To expensive to go to range with powered ammo. So this is how I rationalize it to buy more guns...lol

So just want something other than a springer that is super quiet so that my neighbors don't catch me. I just open my back door and shoot from my couch. 1 or 2 shots then close the door. Collect the bodies later.

I am sure with in a year I will upgrade to $2000 fx or somehting. And eventually want to have a laptop joystick controlled targeting system...just cuz you can...lol

You DO NOT want O2, you want HPA (high pressure air) bottles, and you DO NOT fill CO2 bottles with HPA. With some of the guns mentioned, you would only need a quality floor pump (Hill, FX, Benjamin) to fill as long as fill pressure is around 200 bar (3100psi) or below. If it's above that, lots of pumping and the pumping gets much harder, and not all floor pumps are rated above 3300psi.

Re: the squirrel problem. Handling it responsibly and legally yourself is much cheaper than constantly hiring professional critter control, and consider $500-600 well spent as "preventative" as squirrel damage can easily exceed $1000+. Just check your local ordnances, laws, hunting laws, and check for exceptions that allow you to protect your property from damage by pests.

Reactions: OldSchooler