.25 marauder velocity

rjarois

Nov 13, 2017
mi
just got a marauder gen-2 .25 cal. I started to monkey with the tune settings. I left the hammer stroke stock. an messed with the hammer spring tension, and the air valve. this question is to all the experienced fellas that know what way is up....I am a total noob with this hobby.

1-812
2-817
3-820
4-814
5-816
6-815
7-818
8-812
9-812
10-808
11-808
12-800
13-794
14-788
15-783
16-776

the start psi is 28,000 as my fill bottle has a regulator and its all it does. and the end psi is 2,000. i am trying to figure out if this is acceptable or not ?. any input or advice is greatly welcomed. thanks, peace, randy.

I want to say that's way low seems that valve full open dont remember no. of turns and the hammer at full stroke and 2.5 to 3ish turns in from all the way out on the hammer spring should be giving you 32+ shots at about 815 and at 800fps you should be getting over 40 with a 3k fill. Obviously it may vary some from gun to gun but should get you close. I would verify for ya but I have already hot-rodded my gen2 synrod some time ago.

ben, I kinda figured the velocity was low myself. the air port is was set 3 turns open from the factory. I will open the air port a lil, and see what happens..... if nothing, I will increase the hammer spring pressure and check that. so I'm thinking now the velocity should be set to around 840 fps?? thanks for the reply. randy.

Velocity and shot count are low. My poorly tuned Gen 1 gets the same shots but more velocity. Its torn down now due to clipped orings. Need to find a shop to hone the air cylinder. I would open the air screw all the way and retest. There are a ton of posts on tuning. Just use the search feature here before you get too far away from the factory settings.

A stock Mrod will do about 865 fps average for 16 - 20 shots and a 3,000 psi fill with 25 gr. JSB if you want to keep ES on the lower side. Based on that string it looks like it has a very short flat velocity then drops. That would tell me you have to much hammer energy for the psi you are filling it to. If you want to be maxed or close to max on velocity for a stock Mrod theres one thing to check before you start tweaking the hammer stroke and hammer tension. If you are going for higher power you need to make sure the valve screw is fully open. There have been many people who adjust the valve screw fully open but close it back up some when they tighten the grub screw that locks it into place.

So take out the lock screw for the valve screw then turn the valve screw all the way in but dont try to tighten it you should stop once it feels like its bottomed out. Then open the valve screw 5 - 6 turns and that will give a fully open port. Then screw the grub screw back in that locks the adjustment screw. Again be careful and dont over tighten the locking screw cause it will usually just turn the adjustment screw back closed or strip it.

Once you have verified the valve screw is fully open you can start tweaking the hammer spring and hammer throw to achieve the power and string you are looking for. Its been awhile since tuning an Mrod so I dont remember the exact numbers that work for most Mrods. there is a wright up for tuning that will give you the rest of the info. Google the A-Teams mrod tuning guide and follow the tuning procedure. That will get you where you want to be.

my new velocity results....ok with all the fellas help here, I think I got what I want. I turned open 4 turns from closed on the air screw, and 1/2 turn out on the hammer stroke. it is checking now.....

854 @28000psi
821 @2000psi
the settings looks to be suitable as of now with the Benjamin. unless someone thinks it can be better. this is with the jsb 25.4 pellets. I'm getting around 40 foot pounds now. and its seems reasonable with the gun. again I want to thank all the smart fellows in this forum. peace, randy.

If your goal is to get the max shot count I would be shooting for an average speed of 820. You can get around 20 shots. As you can see, the greater the speed the less your shot count. Adding a regulator and an SSG like I have, you can get around 30 shots with an average speed of 840. Others have gotten 40 shots with some fine tuning. If you don't want to do any add-ons, I might suggest tuning somewhere between 820-840 to get a few more shots. You may only lose 1-2 FPE but gain 4-5 more shots

When you shoot a string and the velocity starts out on a flat line like yours then declines the pcp isnt tuned for best shot count. Theres nothing wrong with a declining string if you are after max power and dont care as much about shot count or a better way of saying it is usable shot count. If you are looking for a good mix between shot count and power you want to have a bell curve tune. Heres an example of a bell curve tune: 815 818 822 825 825 822 827 824 826 830 831 828 825 826 825 822 823 820 818 815. The string starts a little slower than the peak of the velocity due to valve lock. Then the shots climb to the peak velocity and drops back down as the pressure in the air cylinder drops. Valve lock occurs when the hammer doesnt have enough energy to over power the air pressure in the cylinder so the valve doesnt open completely. As the air pressure drops with each shot the hammers energy starts to over power the force of the air left in the cylinder causing the valve to open farther until it can completely open the valve giving you the peak velocity. As the pressure drops the velocity drops. 

So if you look at your string it is missing the first part of a bell curve. The current tune has enough hammer energy to fully open the valve from the first shots. So if you want a longer string you will need to reduce the hammers energy to cause valve lock. You can do that two ways. You can shorten the hammers throw or reduce the pre load on the hammer spring. I prefer a shorter hammer travel cause it speeds up lock time but some people prefer a longer hammer travel and less hammer spring pre load. If youre not sure which works better for you you will have to experiment with both tunes and see which you like. Yes you might lose 10 fps from the peak of the velocity but you will have a longer usable shot string. 

Reactions: rjarois
wow, thanks ldp. that makes total sense to me. that explains it very well. so it I set top velocity to around 825 it should flatten out the spread of the 16 shots, yielding a better last shots, more consistent to the first few. man that helps a lot. so just relax the hammer tension spring a lil, and I should have a better shot spread. as far as the air vent just leave that alone now? thanks again, randy.

Glad I can help. Yes you are correct. Just make small adjustments and shoot a string so you dont go to far. It doesnt take much of a change once you get close to the best setting for your string. If the valve meter screw isnt fully open you might gain back the lost power from lowering the hammer energy with it opened the rest of the way. Again you just have to try it and see. I will just guess here and say if you lose 15 - 20 fps adjusting the hammer to get a better bell curve and the valve meter screw is only open 3/4 of full you might get all or most of that velocity back by fully opening it to 5 - 6 turns instead of the 4 turns its set at now.