• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Xtreme Field Target Marksman Division

314019228_10158924902098144_265421161343443219_n.jpg

Reactions: Sturkis
Been there & chased such classes in other sports / hobbies.

Whats stock & legal per the class rules is subjective. Only when a compliance TECH is schooled and knowledgeable of all equipment & gear they may encounter and a Protest of compliance clause is put in place can it be a fair game. Which miens at ANY said event you need folks who actually have a clue on what gear / equipment is too keep folks in line. Then if a protest clause is put in place, able to call a FOUL.
It sounds great, but reality is something running on the rules fringe edges as written having some exceed those said limits because they can get away with it.

Wide open and easily transparent limits of what legal is far easier that "Discover & prove if I'm cheating" type games.

Love the idea of it ... but enforcing or keeping such games fair takes a whole lot of fun out of it.

Now said .. at a club level between friends & buddies absolutely.

Just a rebuttal ...
I think the point is any barrel change etc. valves and bottles do not improve accuracy. I also think the shooters in that division should have input on rules and their implementation. The fact that you might have 1 cheater in every 100 shooters so I think the challenge is worth trying to grow the sport. I also want to address the open shooter shooting in the marksman division. I and many others have challenged ourselves to a measurable point. For example, when I started FT I wanted to be as good as certain shooters and as my skills got better My personal challenge went to beating those same people. So to say people won't want to shoot because certain shooters are competing I don't believe is accurate. Plus we don't want non-competitive types anyway do we??? This will be an ongoing and changing work in progress. I just think that because something is challenging or difficult does NOT mean it is not worth doing. I want the shooters in that division to have considerable say in the rules changing and setting of new ones. We have to get the shooters in that division first.

Been tried before.

Making a class for shooters that will quickly choose to move out of, isn't going to accomplish much except add another underpopulated class to the mix.
Been tried in field target before? Very interested to know, since I've only been around it 5ish years.

There's a pretty stiff financial barrier to entry, specifically if one has a competitive nature and wants to have a chance at winning. This option makes it possible for more people to come play, and creates a challenge for those tired of spending money.

I have never shot Field Target or XFT but that type of venue interests me the most. I would have to start a match here to ever shoot in one without traveling 300 miles. The description sounds like a winner to me, as viewed from a potential first time shooter.

I didn't quite understand how this will be implemented. Is it going to be just one club or will it be nationwide? If it is nationwide, will it be an optional thing for each individual club?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nofilters
@Franklink ... we tried iron sight only, low powered scopes, and a different take on budget equipment in the 90s. We even set 3 targets per lane at one point , with the two near or easier ones for the budget class. It was a lot of extra work with very little participation. It turned out that competitive types would rarely participate in any of those but would either try to "show us how it's done" with less costly equipment running on the same course, upgrade, or not shoot. Less competitive types would shoot once and never return... as much as anything because of investment. My feeling is that most of us compete to test ourselves or as an excuse to own fine equipment.

Ben brings some interesting ideas to it so I guess we'll just have to see how things go.

I've long wanted to bring 2 or 3 rifles and shoot all of them through the course but most of the time, the reality of the energy involved to shoot through wins, so it's been rare. I shoot different rifles in a lot of the matches, sometimes to my detriment, but it's enjoyable and makes it more interesting.
Bob

@Franklink ... we tried iron sight only, low powered scopes, and a different take on budget equipment in the 90s. We even set 3 targets per lane at one point , with the two near or easier ones for the budget class. It was a lot of extra work with very little participation. It turned out that competitive types would rarely participate in any of those but would either try to "show us how it's done" with less costly equipment running on the same course, upgrade, or not shoot. Less competitive types would shoot once and never return... as much as anything because of investment. My feeling is that most of us compete to test ourselves or as an excuse to own fine equipment.

Ben brings some interesting ideas to it so I guess we'll just have to see how things go.

I've long wanted to bring 2 or 3 rifles and shoot all of them through the course but most of the time, the reality of the energy involved to shoot through wins, so it's been rare. I shoot different rifles in a lot of the matches, sometimes to my detriment, but it's enjoyable and makes it more interesting.
Bob
We even set 3 targets per lane at one point , """"with the two near or easier ones for the budget class."""

^^^^^Ha, do you remember when Ross got the high score on the first day at the AZ State FT match even though he'd just began shooting FT a few months prior? He had kept upgrading guns and scopes almost month to month and also increasing in ability level, then ended up with a Steyr LG100 with a Nikko 10-50 on top, though I can't remember if he had that gun for the state match yet or not.

It was quite humorous the stir and controversy it caused because a new shooter was looking to get the high score! The look on Larry's face was priceless, lol.

Last edited:
I like the idea and for another reason not mentioned as yet...

If the class can gain momentum, the the manufactures will take notice and try hard to be the best equipment in that price point... in effect possibly dampening the equipment race on the high end too... as that market shrinks and the low price point market grows..

I think there are a lot of folks out there who would really like the challenge of besting the high end equipment within this lower price point class.

But keep it as simple as possible, because most clubs don't have officials to make sure the class competitors are legal or not. That's the highest hurdle to get over in my opinion...

Wayne

I like the idea and for another reason not mentioned as yet...

If the class can gain momentum, the the manufactures will take notice and try hard to be the best equipment in that price point... in effect possibly dampening the equipment race on the high end too... as that market shrinks and the low price point market grows..

I think there are a lot of folks out there who would really like the challenge of besting the high end equipment within this lower price point class.

But keep it as simple as possible, because most clubs don't have officials to make sure the class competitors are legal or not. That's the highest hurdle to get over in my opinion...

Wayne
This is part of my goals. I even have been talking to YouTubers to do video reviews of "packages". I agree with the simple rules. I think the shooters will agree. This is why I will have the shooters in that division have a large say in the writing and changing of rules.

Reactions: beerthief
This is why I will have the shooters in that division have a large say in the writing and changing of rules.
This is much harder than you may think. There are those that shout for what they want and those that will talk to you and be willing to compromise. Finding the balance that will please the majority will still leave you with those that shout if they do not get what they want. I've been there.

Tim

This is much harder than you may think. There are those that shout for what they want and those that will talk to you and be willing to compromise. Finding the balance that will please the majority will still leave you with those that shout if they do not get what they want. I've been there.

Tim
Oh you mean like asking to borrow American Field Targets (for 4years) so you can run monthly matches instead of once a year. You are told in May 2020 that, finally, in Sept of 2020 you will get to prove your vision of AFT being bigger than NRL22. So over 400hrs /6mos. later you host your first match.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2lD8kdPEx8&t=29s. (P.S. NOT A COUPLE OF GUYS)
Now 2 years later,I think I understand how hard it can be

Last edited:
Oh you mean like asking to borrow American Field Targets (for 4years) so you can run monthly matches instead of once a year. You are told in May 2020 that, finally, in Sept of 2020 you will get to prove your vision of AFT being bigger than NRL22. So over 400hrs /6mos. later you host your first match.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2lD8kdPEx8&t=29s. (P.S. NOT A COUPLE OF GUYS)
Now 2 years later,I think I understand how hard it can be
The fact that you persevered and started a club is great, been there, done that too. But I am wondering what that has to do with setting rules for a new class. I simply meant that the more people, especially those new to the sport, that are involved with creating rules, the harder it is.

Tim