Who else does this?

As a 1980 Oklahoma State University Wildlife Ecology graduate and sincere apologist for flora and fauna, can I point out the hypocrisy of accepted behavior on this air gun forum with regards to hunting regulations of the several states and the willy-nilly slaughter of game birds and animals in the spirit of "pesting?" I accept the gray area of certain "black birds" which are the enemies of many songbird species (in Oklahoma Brown Headed Cow Birds, Common Grackles, etc) which in law are protected, but are popular targets for PCP'rs . . . but Fox squirrels are small game animals as are migratory Mourning Doves, and IMHBAO should not be advertised publicly on this forum as target practice "pests." The "anti's" use this information for the detriment of our sport. If you are a violator of State wildlife laws, why not just keep it to yourself? Does anyone agree? How about a thumb's up?
:cool: But maybe the hunting section would be better cave for you LOL!! Just kidding . A joke of course, I always do and will practice legal methods. I was referencing the grey area you speak of above when fussing at the guy calling it hunting because the OP never stated he was hunting . He made it clear in a later post. Lets all move on and yes I agree with you hence the thumbs up you requested haha. You make a very valid point Sir.(y)
:coffee:

Reactions: orangeokie
As a 1980 Oklahoma State University Wildlife Ecology graduate and sincere apologist for flora and fauna, can I point out the hypocrisy of accepted behavior on this air gun forum with regards to hunting regulations of the several states and the willy-nilly slaughter of game birds and animals in the spirit of "pesting?" I accept the gray area of certain "black birds" which are the enemies of many songbird species (in Oklahoma Brown Headed Cow Birds, Common Grackles, etc) which in law are protected, but are popular targets for PCP'rs . . . but Fox squirrels are small game animals as are migratory Mourning Doves, and IMHBAO should not be advertised publicly on this forum as target practice "pests." The "anti's" use this information for the detriment of our sport. If you are a violator of State wildlife laws, why not just keep it to yourself? Does anyone agree? How about a thumb's up?
Dillon is shooting nongame PESTS.

He doesn't shoot any of the game animals you mentioned (fox squirrels or mourning doves).

I spent a few hrs pesting birds at a dairy a few weeks ago. None of the shots I took were out of a vehicle, but the sheer volume of birds that poor dairy owner has to deal with is insane. They try to keep some of the grain tarped and you can't believe what the birds do when they roll the tarp back to scoop some of the grain onto the silage to then feed the cattle. The birds swarm like Alfred Hitchcocks "the birds." Yes there were mourning doves present, and no I didn't shoot any of them, and that's because they are categorized as gamebirds. I killed as many euros and pigeons as possible though, because they are not considered game.

Dillon isn't advertising shooting game birds as target practice. Shooting pest birds has likely become so mundane to him that he considers it another farm chore, like changing the irrigation water.

This is his livelihood.

He doesn't shoot any of the game animals you mentioned (fox squirrels or mourning doves).

I spent a few hrs pesting birds at a dairy a few weeks ago. None of the shots I took were out of a vehicle, but the sheer volume of birds that poor dairy owner has to deal with is insane. They try to keep some of the grain tarped and you can't believe what the birds do when they roll the tarp back to scoop some of the grain onto the silage to then feed the cattle. The birds swarm like Alfred Hitchcocks "the birds." Yes there were mourning doves present, and no I didn't shoot any of them, and that's because they are categorized as gamebirds. I killed as many euros and pigeons as possible though, because they are not considered game.

Dillon isn't advertising shooting game birds as target practice. Shooting pest birds has likely become so mundane to him that he considers it another farm chore, like changing the irrigation water.

This is his livelihood.
That is exactly what I thought from the very beginning Dillon is fine lol. And was hoping it did not get to sideways for him. :rolleyes:

This is his livelihood.
Good post and I am not picking out anyone in particular. I think you will agree we need to self-police the entire forum, on an individual basis, on openly admitting violations (with photographic self-incriminating evidence) of state game laws. It is a poor representation of our sport and legal use of air rifles.

Last edited:
Reactions: lsi45 and swNCsw
Lol this thread didn't go as planned. Anyways yes as Cole mentioned only things I shoot anymore are non game animals. I havent hunted in years. Used to be a big time bird hunter mainly waterfowl, dove and pigeons. Haven't shot my shotgun in 6 years? Since I got back into airguns as an adult. I used to shoot so much I wore the ejector pin out of my 870 wingmaster. Birds are a fascinating thing to me and as I have gotten older I respect game birds so much I no longer go after them. Simply just shoot the invasives and let the others live there life. I used to hunt for sport so instead of just shooting ducks for fun or to get various species mounted, I just take in there beauty when I see them. Now not saying I won't ever hunt them again but for the time in my life and how poor duck hunting has been around here the last 5-10yrs it likely won't be for awhile as I'm hoping there numbers come back to where they used to be.

Just want to make known I don't hunt big game so that's never been a thing for me. I don't promote or condone any illegal hunting practices. I only shoot non game animals with my pellet guns which is about all I shoot anymore. Basically pest around the dairy. I get to practice my shooting skills while also taking out birds that cost us money.

Keep up the good work Dillon. Coming from the Midwest I completely understand what the post was about. Over reacting and cancel culture are two ugly things humanity needs to move away from. I live in an apt complex that was under serious attack by the local squirrel population. After a couple years of pesting them and knocking their numbers down I haven't taken one for almost a year. However I'm starting to notice them closing in on the place again. You do the math.

Reactions: jetpopt
Keep up the good work Dillon. Coming from the Midwest I completely understand what the post was about. Over reacting and cancel culture are two ugly things humanity needs to move away from. I live in an apt complex that was under serious attack by the local squirrel population. After a couple years of pesting them and knocking their numbers down I haven't taken one for almost a year. However I'm starting to notice them closing in on the place again. You do the math.
Thanks Chris! Yeah lol posting a pic of me keeping pellets in those compartments for convenience definitely went down a road I didn't see it going. Doesn't bother me though as I have bigger things in life to worry about lol. But sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do if animals are causing problems. Good work on knocking those numbers down. Sounds like you might need to do it again.

My dad started hunting a farm in 1968. I started hunting there in 1980. What I’ve learned and my dad has told me is you stay out of the farmers business when it comes to animals. The farmer knows what needs to be done. It’s very difficult to start pointing fingers without knowing the whole story. There’s a big difference between Joe Blow the window sniper shooting everything he sees off his bird feeders versus people with an actual animal problem. I’ve only had to deal with three infestations in my life. Red squirrels for a couple years, then raccoons. At my dads place in a very nice neighborhood, they somehow developed a major skunk problem. Major! Farmers deal with this all the time every day so how they handle it won’t cause me to be judgmental. I like milk and love beef.

Lol this thread didn't go as planned. Anyways yes as Cole mentioned only things I shoot anymore are non game animals. I havent hunted in years. Used to be a big time bird hunter mainly waterfowl, dove and pigeons. Haven't shot my shotgun in 6 years? Since I got back into airguns as an adult. I used to shoot so much I wore the ejector pin out of my 870 wingmaster. Birds are a fascinating thing to me and as I have gotten older I respect game birds so much I no longer go after them. Simply just shoot the invasives and let the others live there life. I used to hunt for sport so instead of just shooting ducks for fun or to get various species mounted, I just take in there beauty when I see them. Now not saying I won't ever hunt them again but for the time in my life and how poor duck hunting has been around here the last 5-10yrs it likely won't be for awhile as I'm hoping there numbers come back to where they used to be.

Just want to make known I don't hunt big game so that's never been a thing for me. I don't promote or condone any illegal hunting practices. I only shoot non game animals with my pellet guns which is about all I shoot anymore. Basically pest around the dairy. I get to practice my shooting skills while also taking out birds that cost us money.
As a nonhunter who lives near numerous hay farms and cattle ranches, I wish more people with magnets for invasive species would kill them. Those species don’t just stay on their buffet grounds. Well fed on food intended for domestic animals, they then breed prolifically and start nesting on non-ag properties nearby, too. And they can be very aggressive at driving away the native species. They are a nuisance to the rest of us both human and nonhuman.

I’ve never felt the need to shoot a wild animal, but the Eurasian Collared Dove population explosion has me considering it.

Reactions: Dairyboy
This is just my opinion,, That isn't hunting. Hunting is getting out there do some scouting, It's different if you are just sitting there and they come in firing range but to plan on sitting in the truck when i'm able to walk about? Your missing out! I Love being in the woods and just being out there with mother nature. If your disabled and cant walk,,, that would be the only reason to shoot from a vehicle. It is illegal in my state too.

The pests get used to equipment and vehicles. So shooting from your truck is the easiest way to get them. And it's illegal in Oregon, but ive seen old farm hands with their dashboard full with .22 cases, from hundreds of rounds shot.

As a nonhunter who lives near numerous hay farms and cattle ranches, I wish more people with magnets for invasive species would kill them. Those species don’t just stay on their buffet grounds. Well fed on food intended for domestic animals, they then breed prolifically and start nesting on non-ag properties nearby, too. And they can be very aggressive at driving away the native species. They are a nuisance to the rest of us both human and nonhuman.

I’ve never felt the need to shoot a wild animal, but the Eurasian Collared Dove population explosion has me considering it.
This is exactly what causes my raccoon problems. It gets handled legally, you just have to know who to call and follow their guidelines.

What you are describing could be considered apples and oranges IMHO lol. Why even post this ?? What if bye chance he is pesting or protecting crops or livestock or maybe he is keeping bird poo out of your milk so you can enjoy your cheerios haha !! would you compare shooting rats at the dump/landfill to hunting in the great outdoors next to a pristine river . Are you going to tell the fellows working in the cattle runs/farms dropping pest birds that cause thousands of dollars a year in damages that it is not hunting I mean maybe I missed something here .

He never said he was hunting in the first place lol. He ask if anyone else did this storing extra pellets in the bins and stated most of his shooting was from the truck.

Lets see, you mentioned doing some scouting so would it please you if the next pest/invasive species of bird he sees he should get outta the truck scare it away and look for scat then stalk it in the pasture while touching the milkweeds with his finger tips and feel the breeze in his hair before taking the shot on the bird ?

Okay maybe that was a lil much from me but seriously if you do not agree with it why not just click the back button and leave . Oh wait a minute I am guilty as well and answered yours haha. oh we
Never said hunting. Actually hunting with air rifles in WA is illegal. I can shoot unclassified animals all day long though like pigeons, starlings, collared dove, sparrows, sage rats and coyotes with an air rifle. And no none of it is for sport. Simply pesting and decreasing numbers. Sadly don't actually get to go hunting really ever as I'm too busy. But do get to shoot around the farm though so happy about that. But yes while running around doing irrigation and various things around the dairy I will take opportunities if I have time to reduce numbers.

What you are describing could be considered apples and oranges IMHO lol. Why even post this ?? What if bye chance he is pesting or protecting crops or livestock or maybe he is keeping bird poo out of your milk so you can enjoy your cheerios haha !! would you compare shooting rats at the dump/landfill to hunting in the great outdoors next to a pristine river . Are you going to tell the fellows working in the cattle runs/farms dropping pest birds that cause thousands of dollars a year in damages that it is not hunting I mean maybe I missed something here .

He never said he was hunting in the first place lol. He ask if anyone else did this storing extra pellets in the bins and stated most of his shooting was, from the truck.

Lets see, you mentioned doing some scouting so would it please you if the next pest/invasive species of bird he sees he should get outta the truck scare it away and look for scat then stalk it in the pasture while touching the milkweeds with his finger tips and feel the breeze in his hair before taking the shot on the bird ?

Okay maybe that was a lil much from me but seriously if you do not agree with it why not just click the back button and leave . Oh wait a minute I am guilty as well and answered yours haha. oh well :ROFLMAO:

:coffee::rolleyes:
I live in a 3 county farm land and we hunt pest here, how many videos have you seen that do pest control from a truck??. Just driving in a truck is not effective and he did state he was shooting from his truck. When your talking about the breeze sissy thing,, you have it down pretty good,, to good,lol