Where do you live and do you like it there?

It’s one line of a long post. You certainly missed pointing out mine. Lol.
sure, being Dutch , I never cease to be amazed at the polarisation in US politics...being under constant threat of water, we, the Dutch, have learned to compromise on nearly anything the HARD way...we even have a special verb for it, it is called `POLDEREN`....referring to polder, land that is below sea-level...

Reactions: Larryt and Spinach
That would get annoying. I think when I do settle on a place its got to be 10 acres minimum and not opposed to 100. I notice in the midwest and east there isnt poop for public lands like the west. Idaho takes the win for that.

View attachment 345692

A year or so ago Idaho was my #1 choice. It's the snow that has me concerned. I visited 2 years ago and found some of the most awesome camping spots I hadn't been to yet - but those darn fires in CA and OR ruined my trip because there was so much smoke that blew my way.

My wife and I camp 1 hour east of Ketchum off a ways from a logging road every 2-3 years. It's beautiful back in there! Streams, ponds, lakes, mountains, and wildlife.
In Idaho, etc, the sage brush and farming country I don't care for that much.

We've got tons of Juniper country in northern AZ but it just doesn't do it for me like the tall Ponderosa's, Aspens, and oaks.

I really need to summer where I want then winter where I want in a warmer climate.

Reactions: Cody01
Northeast Oklahoma. Land goes between $2,000-$5,000 an acre undeveloped. Only state that all counties go red if that matters to you. Public land within 30 minutes no matter where you’re at in NE Ok. Gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter but never stays one or the other for to long. Snakes aren’t any worst then anywhere else with nice weather.

Oh it’s the most beautiful state in the Midwest maybe the whole country too :).

Here’s my back yard! The first and last picture is spring creek on the south side of the property, the second is snake creek on the north side of my property.

EE32C950-AA29-4B2C-B2C6-26E401B88C7F.jpeg

889C4DB8-5E69-48EC-8ED8-48ABD1B1793E.jpeg

BCE33244-A8CC-4D7E-B57D-6FFCFE1AAA0E.jpeg

moody, is that part of OK the part that's know for the wind? something about coming home to no house always kept me from looking in OK and KS. although I wouldn't live in a trailer, so I'd probably be fine lol.
No I’m in hill country, the prairie land is where the worst weathers at. Of course naders drop everywhere in the state, but I think the hills and all the water in my area helps. Don’t have a clue if that’s true but it sounds good to me, I’ve never had one touch down that was close enough to worry me. We Oklahomans are known for liking storm season, ain’t nothing like watching a spring thunderstorm coming in.

Beau

If your health is not a issue I would consider Argentina. super cheap cost of living. Conservative respectful people unlimited hunting and fishing year round. Great food, tolerable weather. Lot o gringos there already, english language no problem. Great place to spend a few of your golden years. Argentina today is a lot like America was 100 years ago.

SE New Mexico, I like it and have been here for most of my life. Very mild, arid climate, with no hurricanes, tornadoes or heavy snow. Winters are short but lots of wind in the spring. No wind in the summer when it's needed it's (100 degrees) of course. Lots of public lands to do anything (almost) that you want. Lots of dairies for pesting and they are friendly to it. Big game hunting by draw permits. Can't complain but a few more trees would be ok.

There must not be many members in Ohio. I live in NE Ohio, about 5 miles south of Lake Erie shoreline.
Lake Erie of course known for walleye fishing, and plenty of other water related entertainment. Plenty of inland lakes. Some good gun clubs in the area. Northeast Ohio Airgunners (NOA) about 30 minutes away for FT.
Our winters any more are mild with respect to snowfall, only used the snow thrower once this year. We can and do get lake effect snow so mother nature does hold the cards there. Winters can get down to zero F (rarely) but for the most part you see 25°-30°F. Occasionally windy, although the past 9-10 months have been windier than normal, but maybe that’s because I shoot air guns now and I notice it more.
Summers in August can hit an occasional 90° with humidity but tolerable. Definitely a four season state.
For much less snow you just travel 50 miles or so south and snow is rare but it still can see 20’s in winter.
Ohio has public hunting areas that are available, though I have not hunted them but know people that have hunted them successfully. Air rifles can be used for small game but not for deer or turkey 😤, yet.
I occasionally think about moving and bring up google maps and scan around the U.S. and then dig into the weather and such but nothing has really motivated me. NE Ohio really has a lot to offer. I’m not a humidity fan (and my wife hates it) so I don’t look south much. Some Ohioans have winter homes in the south to escape the winters which if a person can afford it, is a nice compromise. But for now, I see me staying in NE Ohio. It’s worth a looksee.
Although it would not be much of a change, weather-wise, to me Pennsylvania would have a shot on me moving. But it would be for a change of scenery, but it is really an outdoor sportsman related state. PA Department of Natural Resources, to me, is on top of their game. They’re serious about their game laws and areas to hunt and fish. To me it just seems to be an outdoors friendly state.

I live on a small islands in between the butt cheeks of Sweden and Finland. We are part of Finland but speak Swedish here. Everything is very expensive here because it's an island and Finnish taxes don't help much either. 24% VAT on all toys and 14% VAT on all food, 10% on medicine.
This place is demilitarised but that just means it will be easy to capture if for instance Russia decides to attack Finland. This island is one of the most important strategic points in all of the Baltic Sea from a military point of view.
We have some autonomy from mainland Finland, we have our own laws and our own flag. The flag is basically the Swedish flag with a red cross in the middle.
There have been many fights over who owns this island and current it's Finland.
Flag_of_Åland.svg.png

This place has a population of around 28 000. As far as entertainment goes we don't really have much, drinking is basically the main entertainment here. Hunting is a big part of the culture here, there is a population of about 28 000 deer on the island as well as a couple hundred moose. The only predators are small ones like racoon dogs and foxes. Some years ago we had 3 wolves who wandered over from the mainland but 1 was officially shot and the 2 others "mysteriously disappeared" but everyone knows they were shot and buried. They had very little fear of people and were getting as close as 50 yards from them. They had also killed some sheep and were following people on horses. Once permission was given to shoot the wolf a team of 30 set out to track and shoot it. Below is a picture of the male wolf that was shot. It was given to a taxidermist who will donate it to the local museum.
Nyan-6-1021x580.jpg

Now to the question if I like it here, both yes and no. It's a very calm place where not much happens but because of that gossip spreads like a plague, everyone knows everything about everyone. It's very expensive to live here and I live on roughly $800 per month.
So if you like a boring life then this place is perfect, as for me I both like and dislike living here.

I live on a small islands in between the butt cheeks of Sweden and Finland. We are part of Finland but speak Swedish here. Everything is very expensive here because it's an island and Finnish taxes don't help much either. 24% VAT on all toys and 14% VAT on all food, 10% on medicine.
This place is demilitarised but that just means it will be easy to capture if for instance Russia decides to attack Finland. This island is one of the most important strategic points in all of the Baltic Sea from a military point of view.
We have some autonomy from mainland Finland, we have our own laws and our own flag. The flag is basically the Swedish flag with a red cross in the middle.
There have been many fights over who owns this island and current it's Finland.
View attachment 345934

This place has a population of around 28 000. As far as entertainment goes we don't really have much, drinking is basically the main entertainment here. Hunting is a big part of the culture here, there is a population of about 28 000 deer on the island as well as a couple hundred moose. The only predators are small ones like racoon dogs and foxes. Some years ago we had 3 wolves who wandered over from the mainland but 1 was officially shot and the 2 others "mysteriously disappeared" but everyone knows they were shot and buried. They had very little fear of people and were getting as close as 50 yards from them. They had also killed some sheep and were following people on horses. Once permission was given to shoot the wolf a team of 30 set out to track and shoot it. Below is a picture of the male wolf that was shot. It was given to a taxidermist who will donate it to the local museum.
View attachment 345936

Now to the question if I like it here, both yes and no. It's a very calm place where not much happens but because of that gossip spreads like a plague, everyone knows everything about everyone. It's very expensive to live here and I live on roughly $800 per month.
So if you like a boring life then this place is perfect, as for me I both like and dislike living here.
Spent some time in Finland - really liked it, people are very friendly - was a little expensive though.