What springer did you shoot today?

sorry not a springer but a heck of a rifle Apache Fireball

IMG_0497.jpeg
IMG_0513.jpeg

Yes, it has the stock full power spring. The only mods I've made are removing the iron sights, and adding a Dianawerk muzzle weight and sling swivel studs. I had planned on digging out the chrono to see what kind of velocity I'd get with the heavy pellets, but then I remembered I loaned it to my nephew and he's yet to return it. He's gonna owe me some beers if he keeps it any longer.:)
Sounds to me like he owes you some beers anyway.
sorry not a springer but a heck of a rifle Apache Fireball

View attachment 379618View attachment 379617
I have no words. So cool.

It's still raining, so I'm once again shooting outdoor targets from indoors. 4" steel plates at 50yds with the .22 HW98. The 98 was my first break barrel springer. If I could have only one air rifle, this one would be it. Shoots well with a large variety of ammo, and is far less hold sensitive than my other springers.

hw98.JPG

Well, not a good day. The range wasn't busy so I got a free hour to play. I zeroed the Baracuda pellets at 25 yards, but they would not group under 3 inches. Three nice tight shots and a couple of flyers. Rezeroed with the Premier HP pellets and mostly the same result. I am hoping getting more pellets down the bore will stabilize things. Horrendous trigger pull is not helping. I am seating the pellets into the barrel with a slight push from a pencil eraser to get uniform pellet seating. I hope this is okay.View attachment 379196

I received the scope for the old Winchester on Wednesday and I was able to get it zeroed at 50 feet inside today. The 25 yard range was
Old Winchester .jpg
too busy and kind of breezy. I will try again on Tuesday. I accomplished a couple of 3/4 inch five shot groups at 50 feet. The scope is a 4X Winchester branded springer model with adjustable parallax. Plenty of power for what I will use it for.

It's still raining, so I'm once again shooting outdoor targets from indoors. 4" steel plates at 50yds with the .22 HW98. The 98 was my first break barrel springer. If I could have only one air rifle, this one would be it. Shoots well with a large variety of ammo, and is far less hold sensitive than my other springers.

View attachment 379731
I’m with you on the 98. Such an easy gun to shoot. Crow
sheridansand HW55, HW30 , IZH 46 20calguy and his brother stopped in for a few hours .View attachment 379839
Great shot. Looks like a blast. Crow
I received the scope for the old Winchester on Wednesday and I was able to get it zeroed at 50 feet inside today. The 25 yard range wasView attachment 379877 too busy and kind of breezy. I will try again on Tuesday. I accomplished a couple of 3/4 inch five shot groups at 50 feet. The scope is a 4X Winchester branded springer model with adjustable parallax. Plenty of power for what I will use it for.
Almost there. Crow
Staged these for a Ballistol wipe down after a sweaty evening shooting session. HW30 / .177 (H&N FTT 8.64) shot a set of Silhouette targets in the front yard at 15 yards and 10 yards. Went to the back yard with the HW95 / .22 (H&N 14.66) shot a bean can at 45 yards over and over without a miss, leaning, standing, kneeling, sitting on ground and prone. Good day! I learn a lot here at AGN and love reading the variety of passion and knowledge.

View attachment 379885

I was shooting till about 8 pm. Got too cold . Crow
What is this cold of which you speak?

Couple fan favorites today. Just out at 15 yards shooting spinners, Cooper the Squirrel, and a couple cans. After pushing a jag through the barrel the .177 HW35E finally seems to be the shooter it always should have been. Waiting on new glass to get here or scope to be returned from Athlon, whatever comes first so I can really test it. The .22 HW45 might be the most challenging thing I’ve ever shot. It’s a blast trying to master it and it improves your overall shooting.

20230811_200740_resized.jpeg

What is this cold of which you speak?

Couple fan favorites today. Just out at 15 yards shooting spinners, Cooper the Squirrel, and a couple cans. After pushing a jag through the barrel the .177 HW35E finally seems to be the shooter it always should have been. Waiting on new glass to get here or scope to be returned from Athlon, whatever comes first so I can really test it. The .22 HW45 might be the most challenging thing I’ve ever shot. It’s a blast trying to master it and it improves your overall shooting.

View attachment 379893
I had shorts and tee shirt on. It dropped fast to the low 60’s with a night air.
‘If you master the 45, you’ll be my hero. Crow

Crow - Why do you like the Pro Sport better than the TX200? I like how the HC - Hunter Carbine - looks better; but I've read some less than wonderful things about its cocking.

Also, how would you rate cocking effort of the Hunter Carbine vs. HW97K?

For that matter, how would you rate cocking effort / experience between the Pro Sport and the HC?

I'm still trying to make up my mind between another HW97K, HW77K, Pro Sport or HC.

And thanks for all of the insights you share on this list / thread!

Reactions: crowski
I had shorts and tee shirt on. It dropped fast to the low 60’s with a night air.
‘If you master the 45, you’ll be my hero. Crow

We are supposed to get down to 60 tonight. A friend of mine went on a motorcycle trip to Boise, ID from Cheyenne last week. On his way home he spent a night in Dubois, WY. When he headed out it was 43 degrees with rain. I like the heater in my car.

Reactions: crowski
There's a strange yellow ball in the sky this morning, I think it's that thing they call the sun. Anyway, it's 58 F and sunny finally, so I spent a couple hours early this AM shooting the .177 HW50S. Trying out some JSB 16.2 gr domed pellets. Shooting steel silhouettes at 50 yds. As expected they require more holdover than my usual Gamo 10.5 gr rounds, but once you figure out the proper mil-dot to use, they hit consistently and hard. They really cartwheel those 1/10 scale rams. Loving the new Sportsmatch medium rings. Gets the Bug Buster down nice and low, and the recoil stop works perfectly. Excellent rings for the money.

sun1 2.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: SoCalAirrifles
Crow - Why do you like the Pro Sport better than the TX200? I like how the HC - Hunter Carbine - looks better; but I've read some less than wonderful things about its cocking.

Also, how would you rate cocking effort of the Hunter Carbine vs. HW97K?

For that matter, how would you rate cocking effort / experience between the Pro Sport and the HC?

I'm still trying to make up my mind between another HW97K, HW77K, Pro Sport or HC.

And thanks for all of the insights you share on this list / thread!

My Pro Sports feel best to hold. IMO the nicest looking current springer. The insides are just as nice as the outside.
I also like the looks of the Hunter, but it ends there. Both my Hunters I find difficult to release the cocking arm. They put a knurled grip to assist, I find it hard on my finger tips and I’ve been working with rocks last 5 years. I find the TX the more user friendly.
‘Loading the PS is much easier than the Hunter, no bear trap. Imperative you hang onto cocking arm, you should any way.
I would say the Hunter and PS would be comparable in jacking.
‘The 97k is easier to jack over the Hunter, as well loading with much more room for large hands.
I love the looks of the Hunter. It would be the last of the 4 because of the release.
‘I’m thinking of selling a Hunter to replace it with one of the new stocks. I would get another TX.
‘I was told 3 different times by an Air Arms dealer that his rep said there’s talk of discontinuing the Pro Sport. Another crime. If the PS had a new stock I would have bought a third.
Now I’m always at a bench.
If you don’t have a 97k in .20. That would be my recommendation. Crow

Reactions: dormitionskete