What happened to common decency?

I don't sell a whole lot, mostly odds and ends. My ads are listed as WTS until I have the money in hand regardless of what someone "wants".
They can finance it though their credit card, PP and other money handling institutions.
Go borrow the money from your mom if you really have to have it!
I'm not a charity and I don't have lay-a-way.

Reactions: SHOMER
This has been going on for years. Back in my gun trading days I got strung out so many times that I no longer dicker, hold anything or adhere to some imaginary line that perspective buyers think they are in.
I recently sold a couple air guns. I was going to list them locally then thought about this forum, then thought I don’t want to deal with it. Off to the local air gun shop and put them on consignment. They only charge me 10%. For that money they can deal with all the nonsense.

Unfortunately it appears that 'I'll take it' now seems to be a preamble to negotiations. Call it the new normal, a paradigm shift or whatever you prefer. What it is, is wasting a seller's time, and the ghosting with no 'I will pass' message is inconsiderate at best.

You can not legislate common sense or morality, no matter what they tell you.

Last edited:
A pet peeve of mine is some seem not to understand the written English language, FIRM. If you state the price is Firm doesn't mean bring fabric softener and haggle the price with me it means the price is set it's Firm. Craigslist, Offerup and ect. Next person tries that with me and wastes my time will hear me incrementally raise the price, two can play at that game.

I find this to be tragically funny in that so many times I have seen "firm" become a relisting with the amount dropped to what my offer would have been. I just pass those offers by since I know an inflexible curmudgeon is going to be the one selling.

Common decency is just as common as common sense…….🤦‍♂️
So true…

I do have to say though, I have had pretty good luck here on the forum. Most of the things I sold were purchased for the asking price. A couple of times the purchaser made an offer and I accepted the offer on 2 of the 4 times it happened. One time the purchaser made a trade proposal and I was intrigued and went for it. Similarly in buying I have made a lower offer a few times because the price was higher than I thought it was worth to me. Half of those 4 times my offer was accepted. Of the two that were declined, I eventually ended up buying one of them. In none of these discussions was anyone pissed off or disrespectful.At the same time none of the items said FIRM or similar language. I almost never say that on my sales, since its no sweat off my back to simply say no if someone makes me a lowball offer, and every now and then the offer is reasonable and results in a quick sale. I do make it clear when i have no interest in a Trade though.

Reactions: qball and SHOMER
A pet peeve of mine is some seem not to understand the written English language, FIRM. If you state the price is Firm doesn't mean bring fabric softener and haggle the price with me it means the price is set it's Firm. Craigslist, Offerup and ect. Next person tries that with me and wastes my time will hear me incrementally raise the price, two can play at that game.
I am the same way. And that’s because I usually sell my things to go fast and at a very fair price where they are getting a real good deal and if they try to lowball me under that they can just forget about it.

Reactions: BurntDog
It's happened to me and probably many others on here before. You just hit the "Ignore" button and you have the guarantee that it won't happen again, at least with them, that is.
Unfortunately it appears that 'I'll take it' now seems to be a preamble to negotiations. Call it the new normal, a paradigm shift or whatever you prefer. What it is, is wasting a seller's time, and the ghosting with no 'I will pass' message is inconsiderate at best.

You can not legislate common sense or morality, no matter what they tell you.
If they say, "I'll take it" and then offer less, I automatically hit the "ignore" button. I've had that done to be before in the "firearms" world. I would meet someone after we had already agreed to a price on the phone, and then when we meet up, they offer me less. Twice someone has done that to me and twice I walked away and left them talking to themselves.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I contacted a seller about a PP750 and included in the message
"Consider this a commitment to purchase the pistol
No haggling
Your asking price is OK.
All I need to know is that in your opinion it is operating properly, with no issues."

He replied all was good with the gun

About 20 minutes later I replied with "send me you PP address and payment will be made promptly"

He replied "I did not hear from you, so I sold the gun to someone else"

Real story
Real AG member
Also runs ads on American Airguns

It ain't just buyers
Rudeness swings from both sides of the plate

Ed

Reactions: tibor
True, and the highest illegitimacy rate in the world. Who's fault is that?
I would be really interested to know where that statistic came from! I've never heard anything like it before.

The only stats I have ever heard put the US quite squarely in the middle of the road, somewhere in the 30-40% range, as opposed to say, Panama (75-85%) Greenland (around 65%), Denmark (45-50%), Iceland (65-75%), Norway (40-50%), or on the low side, Japan (1-2%), Cyprus (1-2%) and Israel (2.5-3.5%).

I'm really not sure how one finds fault in that, or what it has to do with airguns, but YMMV.