• This section is NOT for leaving Member feedback. To leave a Member feedback regarding a Classified transaction simply go to the Members profile and click the ADD FEEDBACK button.

We Need A New Forum Section For Machine Work

Although I'd like this new sub-forum as much as anyone, I can understand Michael being reluctant to add this (or any new sub) just because it can get completely out of hand. So, you've gotta try to pick the subs that will have actual interest and participation, and try to avoid the ones that are going to have two active readers and a most current post in 2015...

Maybe a probationary period? I can't imagine it would be too hard to throw in the mix, but I've been wrong before...

GsT

Although I'd like this new sub-forum as much as anyone, I can understand Michael being reluctant to add this (or any new sub) just because it can get completely out of hand. So, you've gotta try to pick the subs that will have actual interest and participation, and try to avoid the ones that are going to have two active readers and a most current post in 2015...

Maybe a probationary period? I can't imagine it would be too hard to throw in the mix, but I've been wrong before...

GsT
We have a lot of machinists on this forum so I think it will stay active.

Reactions: SniperX

GsT
I agree. While it seems like a good idea for guys to get free machinist training pertaining to their sole interest, the number of guys is low. So I agree that the sub forum could go dormant for long periods of time. And the amount of guys contributing would also be very low. So in the meantime if you need help, contact someone who can help you. Then post your project if you feel the need to. It’s definitely a bummer how quickly cool informative project topics get buried. But that does show us something. If it’s not a topic about something everyone can do just by opening up their wallet, it has a short shelf life.

Reactions: GeneT
I agree. While it seems like a good idea for guys to get free machinist training pertaining to their sole interest, the number of guys is low. So I agree that the sub forum could go dormant for long periods of time. And the amount of guys contributing would also be very low. So in the meantime if you need help, contact someone who can help you. Then post your project if you feel the need to. It’s definitely a bummer how quickly cool informative project topics get buried. But that does show us something. If it’s not a topic about something everyone can do just by opening up their wallet, it has a short shelf life.
Yeah it's better to take a poop on someone else's idea if you don't fully agree. Don't just ignore it when you've got an opportunity to screw others.
Thanks Cpt Negative.

Yeah it's better to take a poop on someone else's idea if you don't fully agree. Don't just ignore it when you've got an opportunity to screw others.
Thanks Cpt Negative.
No problem. But I never said your idea was bad so don’t get excited. I just can understand why they aren’t jumping when you tell them too.

Last edited:
No problem. But I never said your idea was bad so don’t get excited. I just can understand why they aren’t jumping when you tell them too.
I see where you were confused. I never told them to. Since you skipped the original post, here it is...

We need a section just for machining projects to share our work and help others that want to get into this part of the hobby learn how to fit barrels and make other parts for their airguns.
If you're interested in this cast your vote here to let the forum owner know.

Thanks

James

You got my vote. But if we can’t get a Slug only sub forum, which I suggested back in 2017, then I won’t get my hopes up. We did finally get a Projectiles sub but it gets cluttered up with pellet stuff. I know what you’re lobbying for but like Gerry said, it would be slow. Beneficial to a few, but slow. So maybe they have a Projects sub. It would get cluttered up with non hardcore machining projects but at least it would see more traffic and maybe be worthwhile. I don’t know. Running one of these forums is way above my pay grade.

You got my vote. But if we can’t get a Slug only sub forum, which I suggested back in 2017, then I won’t get my hopes up. We did finally get a Projectiles sub but it gets cluttered up with pellet stuff. I know what you’re lobbying for but like Gerry said, it would be slow. Beneficial to a few, but slow. So maybe they have a Projects sub. It would get cluttered up with non hardcore machining projects but at least it would see more traffic and maybe be worthwhile. I don’t know. Running one of these forums is way above my pay grade.
I have run forums and I moderate one now so I don't see a problem trying it. How do you know how many machinists are here or how many more would join because of the content they discovered here? I've talked to lots of current members that machine parts. I don't see any way to lose. We the members and content creators are what this forum sells to sponsors so Michael may gain more sponsors like Grizzly, Precision Mathews, etc.

Reactions: borne2fly
I was just looking at it like this. When we look at sub forums, what percentage of member fall into that category. Optics? Almost everyone. Hunting? Maybe 50+%. ELR? Maybe 25%. Machinist? Maybe 2%. That’s why when I made the slug forum suggestion and it kinda fell on deaf ears, I understood. Such a small percentage of us were doing it at the time that it really wasn’t worth the effort. Now if they had a slugs tips and tricks sub, guys would live there because over 50% of airgun guys are now chasing powder burner status. Or at least dabbling in it. The Motorhead guys and the DIY hobby machinists are still a very small segment compared to the bolt on crowd. If they decide to try it, that’s cool but if all the machinists on here aren’t posting a ton now, do you really believe it’s because they don’t have their own special sub forum? Just asking.

Reactions: borne2fly
I definitely see your point. I’ve felt that way at times when I wanted to share something but I knew it would quickly get buried so I didn’t. But the lack of interest that allowed it to get buried told me something. So I quit sharing. Maybe you’re onto something, maybe not. You and they also have to consider that of the let’s say 50 guys on here that do machining, how many of them want to show off in the art gallery? I’ve seen some really cool stuff from certain guys over the years but they too seemed to lose the desire to show off their work. Is it because they don’t have an art gallery, or just because of something else?

GTA has a area for this type stuff. Maybe not as active as the dumping ground for General BS.
But a pretty good resource none the less.
Blend that gate with "Bob and Lloyds Workshop"?
AGN has NOTHING that even comes close to that knowledge base!
Even the longest journey begins with the first step.
If we start now we could catch up sooner and more of those guys will come here to escape the labyrinth.

Why keep us in the dark?

shroom.jpg

Reactions: heavy-impact
Instead of throwing a hissy over a dedicated area for your interests, i humbly submit that you would get better response from positive action.

IOW, start making posts about your machine stuff (airgun related, of course) and DEMONSTRATE the traffic. Get a hundred or so posts built up on actual topic, not just whining want a new placed to talk about it....

Is there really enough demand for a specialized forum page?? It is this thread just hot wind?

We need a section just for machining projects to share our work and help others that want to get into this part of the hobby learn how to fit barrels and make other parts for their airguns.
If you're interested in this cast your vote here to let the forum owner know.

Thanks

James
I agree. Machining forum is needed!