• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Understanding the hammerless system

Pale_Rider

Feb 16, 2019
US
HUBEN

6128EE99-4D52-45F7-BFCE-B581DB41F80F.1605975506.jpeg

Uses two valves. One to open air flow, one to close it. When the gun is first pressurized air flows through the closing valve then into the opening valve chamber. This pressure allows the opening valve to seal itself. The opening valve consists of two parts. When pressurized they move in opposite directions to seal the opening chamber. 

A39B317E-FBD0-487A-A068-A5B8C5191834.1605975523.jpeg

97D7C5EB-4CE5-494A-B9E5-E612AF67D1C6.1605975540.jpeg

The opening valve is held forward by a sear preventing airflow. When the sear releases the opening valve it moves back letting air flow through to push the pellet. After the air pressure drops in the opening valve chamber the closing valve stops air flow by overcoming the lower pressure with spring tension. When the closing valve seals, it doesn’t really seal. It just stops the flow of air enough for the spring tension to overcome air pressure. A tiny channel in the closing valve’s seal allows air to flow through and pressurize the opening valve. It is now ready for the next shot.

The opening valve is not adjustable. It only responds to adjustments made by the closing valve or the reg pressure. The closing valve is adjustable via the wheel on the bottom of the butt stock. Turning the wheel CCW will weaken spring tension allowing more air to flow through before the valve is closed. Turning CW will do the opposite. 

https://youtu.be/v8qJ5-p_YkM

It is still way above my head. But I do like my Huben, and SK19 too. However, I have had a couple of serious miss-haps with my Huben. "IF" you get carried away, and not pay attention to your pressure, and shoot, say below 1500psi, you can get a pellet jammed in the barrel, magazine locks up, and rifle dumps remaining air. It can be a pain, trying to clear the barrel, even by using a rod, to push the pellet/slug back towards the magazine, as the magazine might be half way rotated to the next hole, and not enough room to shove the stuck pellet back into the magazine. And "TWICE" when I tried to air up the rifle, at this stage, it fired the stuck pellet into the ceiling. Luckily, I wasn't trying to look at the gauge! Also, both of these times, once the stuck pellet fired, the rifle went back to operating normally. I'm really surprised I haven't heard of any accidents with the Huben. Not knocking the rifle at all, but it does require serious attention to safety.❗

Very good explanation of the system. The Hubens can be very picky on settings and air pressure as Cooter stated. If you get too low on air it stops working correctly and causes problems as he described. I try to never shoot below 150 bar and my regs are usually set at 120 to 140 depending on pellet and what the gun likes. Once set correctly they are great guns and have pretty good triggers and accuracy.

I have found the close valve of the 2016 guns (as in the diagram above) functions better than the plastic valve of the newer 2018's . 

That is very clever engineering genius!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Clever engineering indeed! 

It is still way above my head. But I do like my Huben, and SK19 too. However, I have had a couple of serious miss-haps with my Huben. "IF" you get carried away, and not pay attention to your pressure, and shoot, say below 1500psi, you can get a pellet jammed in the barrel, magazine locks up, and rifle dumps remaining air. It can be a pain, trying to clear the barrel, even by using a rod, to push the pellet/slug back towards the magazine, as the magazine might be half way rotated to the next hole, and not enough room to shove the stuck pellet back into the magazine. And "TWICE" when I tried to air up the rifle, at this stage, it fired the stuck pellet into the ceiling. Luckily, I wasn't trying to look at the gauge! Also, both of these times, once the stuck pellet fired, the rifle went back to operating normally. I'm really surprised I haven't heard of any accidents with the Huben. Not knocking the rifle at all, but it does require serious attention to safety.
2757.svg

That is the downside, having to keep track of the air. I make it easy by reminding myself to refill after the 4th mag. 
The huben requires the most attention to safety than any other gun being that when it’s loaded there is always a pellet ready to fire. That being said, I have never fired a pellet by accident 

Hi

I would never put my face in front of the barrel with pellets in the magazine

Regards 

Enkey

Kinda makes me wonder why manufacturers still put gauges where you have to turn the muzzle of the gun towards your head lol

Very good explanation of the system. The Hubens can be very picky on settings and air pressure as Cooter stated. If you get too low on air it stops working correctly and causes problems as he described. I try to never shoot below 150 bar and my regs are usually set at 120 to 140 depending on pellet and what the gun likes. Once set correctly they are great guns and have pretty good triggers and accuracy.

I have found the close valve of the 2016 guns (as in the diagram above) functions better than the plastic valve of the newer 2018's .

It’s dumping all the air because the low air pressure can’t overcome the closing valve spring. I have a theory that if a weaker closing valve spring is used it will allow it to run at lower pressure.

I currently have mine set at 110 bar and routinely shoot it down to 110 bar with no issues. 

Thats interesting about the 2016 close valves compared to the 2018. What effect does the plastic valve have vs the metal?

It is still way above my head. But I do like my Huben, and SK19 too. However, I have had a couple of serious miss-haps with my Huben. "IF" you get carried away, and not pay attention to your pressure, and shoot, say below 1500psi, you can get a pellet jammed in the barrel, magazine locks up, and rifle dumps remaining air. It can be a pain, trying to clear the barrel, even by using a rod, to push the pellet/slug back towards the magazine, as the magazine might be half way rotated to the next hole, and not enough room to shove the stuck pellet back into the magazine. And "TWICE" when I tried to air up the rifle, at this stage, it fired the stuck pellet into the ceiling. Luckily, I wasn't trying to look at the gauge! Also, both of these times, once the stuck pellet fired, the rifle went back to operating normally. I'm really surprised I haven't heard of any accidents with the Huben. Not knocking the rifle at all, but it does require serious attention to safety.

I recently had a similar issue. A pellet slipped too far forward, and would not fire, and blocked the magazine. I dumped the air trying to shoot it out (only a couple shots, and the valve seemed stuck open.

Kelly @ KrazKool had given me a 5mm carbon fiber rod to tap out a slug that had gotten stuck before.

HOWEVER - I knew that the valve was air controlled, and that when refilling, it may trigger the action to release. So I put my gun on a table outside, pointing to a safe place. Sure enough, when that tube hit 1600psi, it discharged. Really glad I had the forethought to be extra careful there.

Ever since then, it has shot great! Not a gun that is easy to test ammo with. I am sticking with JSB redesigned monsters from now on.

Doesn't sound to safe to me having to worry about a stuck pellet come flying out when airing up the tank and if the air gauge is on the end it's just a matter of time before a accident happens . If your aware of the fact that this is going to happen that's different but being a newbie to huben I wouldn't have known until I read this thread and you guys told me about it and the fact the gauge is on the muzzle end not trying to knock the gun it's cool design and everything just sounds unsafe 

has anybody had a misfire while the huben was in safety?

while i agree with the safety concerns, seems it should be just as safe as a chambered sidearm with safety on (that many carry daily)?

i never trusted the huben safety as much though.

Fact is I would feel safer with a loaded side arm even a Glock without external safety than I would trust the air actuated system. I could see someone putting on the safety and refilling the gun with no idea that was going to happen while looking at the gauge just saying unless the gun has warnings all over the place that this could happen when jammed