TX200 Break-in

I wouldn’t have touched it until 1000 pellets have been shot.
When I bought my TX200 in 2013, I shot 750 pellets the first day.
I am just about to buy a AA Pro Sport.
I will shoot 1000 pellets and then may change the spring guide.
From sun up to sundown? That's a lot of shootin, I've tried 500 and my arm was shot and the front sight came off of the new to me 35.

Reactions: gbmarcht
From sun up to sundown? That's a lot of shootin, I've tried 500 and my arm was shot and the front sight came off of the new to me 35.
Yaaaa, ive got that new toy fever.. just go burn pellets and bengay cocking arm to continue the next day near pain free..

New gun, tins of pellets ,cant help it 😜..

Picked 1 up yesterday from a widow that her son bought for her. Husband passed some years back, so she has no 1 to shoot with for the son moved to England. I met her a year ago at VFW gun show selling off pellets and 1 thing lead to another. Any how 2 days ago I thought I would call her just to say hello and we talked and talked. At 1 point she enquired about up coming gun shows. i respond with a yup tomorrow at the VFW. While at the show she shows up with a TX 200 and say's take it with you and let me know what you think. I like it in the .177 platform how ever it needs a scope mount. the glass is nice but the mount is not good so I have no idea on grouping. 10m clover leaf with some Hatsun pels 5 shots with 1 flyer. From there it went down hill. Open to comments... Happy Easter!

I have shot a lot of pellets through my Tx200 over the last year or so. The stock rifle shoots very well. I have tried the Vortek HO kit and didn't see much, if any, real improvements in the outcome. It was smoother to operate and quieter. As the rifle has was shooting about 12 fpe according to my chrony with the HO kit I moved back to the stock system to see if there was a difference. There was not a real difference for me. Mine settled in about 300 to 500 pellets into it.

Reactions: Frogy and bf1956
Your day will come. I landed a paper route the week I turned 10. Quit working when I was 70.5. Was layed off once for 4 weeks and was once 2 weeks between jobs when I quit one. Now it's play time. There is about 6 of us that shoot the pellet guns daily and also shoot a weekly match a half hour away and we hold a monthly match. Buy a TX200 or HW97 and have fun. We shoot in an indoor archery range, 25 yds. It was just me, I talked a friend into buying one and we keep growing. We also have some guys still working that join on weekends.
Was hoping to do that when I retired, even advertised at a number of sporting goods and gun shops...nothing...some replies but nothing serious. Gets boring shooting by myself..

Keep in mind that if your turning an fac rifle into a 12 ft lb rifle with the same fac piston, your lock time is greatly increased, which will make follow thru ultra important or your groups will open up!! Don't know if there are any 12 ft lb pistons left floating around or not. Sold the last two that I had...keeps the power down but speeds up the lock time which improves accuracy.. If you have a machine shop close by, they can make a 10 mm longer piston stem to create a 12 ft lb piston.

I have a couple of TXs, and changed the internals for a sleeveless piston from a guy called Tony Leech in the UK. I have run both 21mm and 22mm versions and they are superb at about 10.5 ft.lbs.

The top piston is his work, the bottom two have TBT nose extensions. All have delrin guides replacing the AA metal stuff.

View attachment 342139

My rifles…

View attachment 342138
Nice set up Nords and beautiful rifles.
Which set up do you prefer?
I know it was already stated that tuning doesn't affect the accuracy of the gun. But a tuned gun with less recoil and a tuned trigger might be easier to hold and follow thru consistently? So which one of your set up is more "accurate"?

Reactions: Nords
I do not know if tuning an already accurate gun, like AirShot has, actually makes a gun more accurate. I do know that my 22mm piston kit from Tony L. makes it easier for me to shoot accurately. The stroke is quite short, like the old 12 fpe pistons, and the piston is lighter as well. I feel a very linear, quick thud and that's it. I find it easier to spot where the pellet lands and can often see the flight of the pellet for the last few yards.

I do shoot all three of my TX200 rifles at well under 12 fpe. The two with T.L. kits are 10.7 for the HC and 11.2 fpe for the Mk3. That is just where they landed when I installed the kits, which is pretty much what I wanted. My SR has standard factory stuff in it, but all has been fitted nicely as AirShot recommended. It shoots closer to 11.7 fpe. Not really fair to compare the SR with the full recoiling guns, but they all hit the target and are pleasant to shoot. All are lubed very sparingly after a very thorough cleaning. If I miss, it is pretty much my error and I think that is all you can ask for.

Tim

Was hoping to do that when I retired, even advertised at a number of sporting goods and gun shops...nothing...some replies but nothing serious. Gets boring shooting by myself..
Don't give up. Go to a range, people will come to look since your making little noise, sit them down and let them shoot your rifle. Big problem today, people are lazy. If it's more than clicking a remote or keyboard the are not interested. I was dropping yard waste off the other day a guy saw targets in the back of my vehicle and asked if I shoot. Ends up he has an AIRGUN, cheap one but he is coming to observe our match on Saturday. I will let him shoot a couple good rifles, he will be hooked.

Reactions: FarmPlinker
Don't give up. Go to a range, people will come to look since your making little noise, sit them down and let them shoot your rifle. Big problem today, people are lazy. If it's more than clicking a remote or keyboard the are not interested. I was dropping yard waste off the other day a guy saw targets in the back of my vehicle and asked if I shoot. Ends up he has an AIRGUN, cheap one but he is coming to observe our match on Saturday. I will let him shoot a couple good rifles, he will be hooked.
Made many trips to local ranges, spur a lot of interest but it never goes any further. I live on over 5 acers and have a 10 meter range in my house so I can shoot most anything but not much airgun interest..

Also note pellet choice. Mine TX200 loves Air Arms 8.4 and 10.3 in 4.52 head size. I have found no Crosman pellet it loves. It sorta likes a couple if I sort them. It dislikes Norma 8.4 pointed but loves Norma 8.4 domed Golden Field Trophy). JSB 8.4 are good in it as are H&N 10.4?

The AA 4.52 in 8.4 and 10.4 are tight. They shoot about 12fpe. The Norma are not as tight and shoot 13.6fpe. So when you tune the pellet you tune to matters.

Also note pellet choice. Mine TX200 loves Air Arms 8.4 and 10.3 in 4.52 head size. I have found no Crosman pellet it loves. It sorta likes a couple if I sort them. It dislikes Norma 8.4 pointed but loves Norma 8.4 domed Golden Field Trophy). JSB 8.4 are good in it as are H&N 10.4?

The AA 4.52 in 8.4 and 10.4 are tight. They shoot about 12fpe. The Norma are not as tight and shoot 13.6fpe. So when you tune the pellet you tune to matters.
I pretty much agree although 5.51 heads seem slightly better in mine. The Normas are accurate but the guys I shoot with have found quite a few so undersized they slide inches down the barrels. They need sorted, I wrote them off because of that issue.

I bought a new Air Arms TX200 in .177 caliber. Out of the box, it shot 13.7 fpe and rather snappy. I decided to install a Vortek 12 fpe kit to calm it down. When I first installed the kit, it shot 13.2 fpe. Not the results I desired, so, per Vortek's instructions, I cut a coil off the spring because it said I would get a 1.5 fpe reduction. Wellllll, no. It now shoots 12.6 fpe. I know I can take it apart and cut more off the spring, but it's rather annoying to do so. The gun really isn't broken in, per se. I have about 300 shots through it. The last 5 shots over the crhronograph gave 16 fps velocity spread and 5.6 SD. Am I expecting too much at this point? What is your experience in tuning these guns?
Doe it shoot of not

Picked 1 up yesterday from a widow that her son bought for her. Husband passed some years back, so she has no 1 to shoot with for the son moved to England. I met her a year ago at VFW gun show selling off pellets and 1 thing lead to another. Any how 2 days ago I thought I would call her just to say hello and we talked and talked. At 1 point she enquired about up coming gun shows. i respond with a yup tomorrow at the VFW. While at the show she shows up with a TX 200 and say's take it with you and let me know what you think. I like it in the .177 platform how ever it needs a scope mount. the glass is nice but the mount is not good so I have no idea on grouping. 10m clover leaf with some Hatsun pels 5 shots with 1 flyer. From there it went down hill. Open to comments... Happy Easter!
did you clean it ? tighten the screws and check the crown carefully , never know how someone cared for the gun .

Nice set up Nords and beautiful rifles.
Which set up do you prefer?
I know it was already stated that tuning doesn't affect the accuracy of the gun. But a tuned gun with less recoil and a tuned trigger might be easier to hold and follow thru consistently? So which one of your set up is more "accurate"?

The 21mm setup was excellent (although the action has to go to Tony for fitting, the 22mm can be self-done) and probably more accurate, but that is probably a better barrel crown / barrel / choke in that rifle?

The 0.177” HC 21mm conversion was nearly as accurate as my FX Crown at 70 yards ( 10.5ft.lb and 11.5 ft.lb respectively).

That picture of two TX200, were my first two and both 22mm conversions (the HC was 0.177” and the full length 0.22”). I swapped the HC for a FWB300S and missed it so much, I bought this 0.177” HC a week later. It was already fitted with the 21mm kit…

3F3A8F13-C67B-4D90-932C-4CC5402A7B3C.jpeg

I wanted to reduce the power level to 12 fpe just to make it easier to cock for my wrinkled old 82 year old body. Well, after 3 teardowns, I think I have it just right. Even though I cut 1 1.2 coils off the Vortek spring, it still shoots 12.1 fpe but that's ok. Accuracy seems to be quite good, at 10M anyway.

TX200 12.1 fpe.jpg