To glue your carbon fiber sleeve or not?

Loctite 638 bearing compound is well suited to the task when the gap is under 0.010” (0.020” difference on the diameter). It produces a very strong bond and gives you plenty of working time.

Or use a 2-part epoxy if the gap is larger.

BTW if you don’t have an intuitive sense of how large a 0.010” to 0.020 gap is, it will seem very sloppy.
I see medium and high strength on Amazon, which do you suggest? Thanks

Reactions: h2okenny
just re did my raw , i used fiberglass resin a paper plate , a disposable hair brush , had the cf cut to fit , had the barrel taped off a the transfer port end and taped where the cf was to stop , it went yery smooth no mess with the resin , wiped it off , sat it in the sun to cure , easy ! don't put so much on that you make a mess , just slide it on twisting one way and it helps from bulldozing a mess, my job went so well i wouldent try a different way next time , have acetone for clean up , a bent coat hanger for mixing ,

I've never glued them. Never will. Shoot just fine. I'm not trying to win RMAC or an Olympic gold medal. But if I can still group a dime sized spot at 50 yards, I don't see the point. The only reason I like the carbon fiber sleeves is because they are easier to deal with than the little rubber bands around the liner.

I’ve have three FX liners 1-epoxied CF sleeve .25 1- sleeve not epoxied .25 and 1- .177 non epoxied sleeve. Both non epoxied sleeves I have shot with factory O-Ring set up. No difference! In the .25 with some experimenting using 4 double sets of O-Rings shoot’s the best? (Least amount of vertical??) must mention I have the Bullet central CF barrel tension system. With the.25

Last edited:
JBWeld standard set has always been my go to. I drew up a tutorial that I sent a member, and if no one minds, I’ll share it for those that have never epoxied a liner sleeve on before-
View attachment 357880View attachment 357879View attachment 357878View attachment 357877View attachment 357875View attachment 357876View attachment 357881View attachment 357882View attachment 357883View attachment 357884
Hi Bigragu,
Although i dont have any fx gun, question for you after the everything is inserted, what position do you leave the whole thing while the epoxy is setting? do you leave it standing upright? or on a horizontal position? i know that regular jb weld takes a 24 hrs to fully set and it will level itself while setting so it will settle to the lowest point if it horizontally position on the edges and there might be air gap getting in this position when the epoxy drips on the edge even when it sealed on both edges. probably better in upright position with one end sealed to prevent the excess drip and let gravity do its job to even out the epoxy inside.

Again I find myself to be the odd-man-out

I'm not a fan of permanent mods where they can't be undone if the need should arise.

I have fit the tube over the liner and centered it so that it does not contact the adapter or liner lock then clean surfaces with brake cleaner.

I apply a tiny amount of 100% silicone caulk to one end of the tube where it contacts the liner and let it cure

Next day, I tip up the assembly in padded jaws and fill the void with silicone oil, clean the end of the tube and barrel and seal with the silicone caulk.

You do you, I'll do me
Hydraulic dampening, interesting. I tried JB and almost scrapped the barrel and sleeve, it was too heavy for the gap I had, had to use a 2# dead blow hammer, it was that tight. YMMV

I’ve have three FX liners 1-epoxied CF sleeve .25 1- sleeve not epoxied .25 and 1- .177 non epoxied sleeve. Both non epoxied sleeves I have shot with factory O-Ring set up. No difference! In the .25 with some experimenting using 4 double sets of O-Rings shoot’s the best? (Least amount of vertical??) must mention I have the Bullet central CF barrel tension system. With the.25
hey, do you still have that one for sale?

I have a back ground in competition model airplane construction. One year I decided to try polyurathane glue rather than epoxie to glue the balsa wood skins to styrofoam. The instructions said to dampen the surface to be glued. Well I applied an equivalent amount as the usual epoxy. The dampness set off the glue which expanded like foam spray insulation. It penetrated deep into the Styrofoam.
My thought is to glue the sleeve in with polyurathane, like Gorilla glue, mixed with some water and let it expand in the sleeve, trim the ends when dry. You would have a presision fit, that is extremely light weight.
You would have to experiment a bit, to get the propertions and mix right, how to center the barrel.
Anyway its a thought.

Reactions: qball