Tis The Season of Fungus !

Interesting. Any particular reason why? Here, it's common to soak morels in salt water to coax out any bugs that may be hidden away .
Chantarelles like store bought mushrooms get kind of slimy when you was them. Its OK to
rinse them if you plan on using they right away. Rinsing them and not using them right away
makes them mushy and ruins there firm texture. I use a new 1" paint brush to remove dirt
and debris from them which still needed to be done on the pictured one pound. I also am very
picky on the one's I choose. I don't like the one's that grow in muddy soil as they are harder
to clean. The one's that come up in leaf mulch are my favorite. These mushrooms grow
exclusively under Live Oak trees. I understand needing to soak morels because of their porous
texture.

When we once lived on the North coast ( mendicino county ) the fall Chantrelles, Masitalki & Bolettes were a real treat.
Here on the western slope in the foothills of the Northern sierras, nothing eatable to make gathering treks worth while. Whats there the deer get almost immediately
I see Boletes all the time but since I don't know for sure I avoid them.

I see Boletes all the time but since I don't know for sure I avoid them.
Thats all I generally see of the eatables of interest. Get quite a few AMANTA's but that species has no many similar look-a-likes with some that will kill You !!!
Have always left them alone. Sure wish we had Chantrelles in this area as there my absolute favorite

Thats all I generally see of the eatables of interest. Get quite a few AMANTA's but that species has no many similar look-a-likes with some that will kill You !!!
Have always left them alone. Sure wish we had Chantrelles in this area as there my absolute favorite
Are you up in the Colfax Grass Valley area ? I think your elevation and type of trees plays a
big part why you don't have them. These mushrooms love the Coastal regions of the Pacific
northwest.

Are you up in the Colfax Grass Valley area ? I think your elevation and type of trees plays a
big part why you don't have them. These mushrooms love the Coastal regions of the Pacific
northwest.
Bit south near placerville.
yea in the day was living above willits tho just below garberville.
Tan oak & madrone coastal woodlands.
SOOOO many mushrooms in those low lying woodlands along Hwy 101

I think that is the same mushroom. Just a different name depending on where you live. I've tried
them on a few occasions but it's not my favorite. And it did have a crab flavor. They are expensive
though if you can find them for sale. Like $50 per pound expensive! I see the Chanterelles in some
stores between $15-$20 per pound. Most of these in our markets are probably coming from Oregon
and Washington

From what I have read, they are not the same although they may be related. Look them up and let me know what you find? (smile)