Tally to date, chippers and tree rats.

Possibly shot out of season? Grey squirrels are protected and can only be bagged during the small game season. Red squirrels are considered a pest species here, no limits on the take. In both cases in NYS hunting license required.

I had considered that, but then had to come to the reasonable assumption that if they were out of season he also wouldn't be posting tallies about killing them. I don't think one is more of an admission than the other.

But really doesn't matter a bit to me either way. Not my business. I was just curious.

I had considered that, but then had to come to the reasonable assumption that if they were out of season he also wouldn't be posting tallies about killing them. I don't think one is more of an admission than the other.

But really doesn't matter a bit to me either way. Not my business. I was just curious.
Understood… “the for legal reasons” comment, is odd, because it connotes “illegal”. All pesting and hunting should be done “ethically” and “legally”.

Reactions: Spartan
Just curious what legal reason prevents you from taking/posting pics of squirrels, but allows the same for chipmunks. Please share.
Actually, I have stopped posting pics of either for lack of interest.

Tree rats are a pest on my property, so I treat them as such, just like those demon Chipmunks.

If you don't have a problem with either, then good for you! (smile)

Reactions: Struckat
I am at 3 chippers on a friends property this year.

Here in the communist suburbs the squirrels only are a problem when they think I am the sharing kind. I am not.

The hawks have made the squirrels much less common since 2020 when it seemed we were over populated. Now I see very few.

Chippers seem to be down too. I have started to hear them taunt me, but no visuals.

Reactions: BackStop
Holy crap I don't think I've shot that many tree rats or chippers in my lifetime much less a year
Read the entire thread. When I started, the infestation of Tree Rats was so bad that the numbers were probably between 375-400 per year, but I wasn't keeping accurate records then. Once I started keeping accurate records, I *think* the most TRs was 322, but I can't say for sure. As for the chippers, my best year was about 75.

Now, they are relatively under control, as long as I keep eliminating them when I can.

Keep in mind that my entire lot is only about 1/5 of and acre and I only shoot in the backyard which is less than 1/10 of an acre. So that should let you know how bad things were before I started.

The chippers are harder to take not only because they are small, but I simply don't get as many chances... and they cause more problems than the TRs because they will burrow under and into my crawlspace and rats will use these same burrows to enter.

So far this year...

TR = 53
CH = 35

I have definitely been successful at lowering the populations in my VERY small yard. However, the ONLY way to keep it that way is to stay vigilant every year. Otherwise, at least where I live, they WILL regain their population in one season or less.

Read the entire thread. When I started, the infestation of Tree Rats was so bad that the numbers were probably between 375-400 per year, but I wasn't keeping accurate records then. Once I started keeping accurate records, I *think* the most TRs was 322, but I can't say for sure. As for the chippers, my best year was about 75.

Now, they are relatively under control, as long as I keep eliminating them when I can.

Keep in mind that my entire lot is only about 1/5 of and acre and I only shoot in the backyard which is less than 1/10 of an acre. So that should let you know how bad things were before I started.

The chippers are harder to take not only because they are small, but I simply don't get as many chances... and they cause more problems than the TRs because they will burrow under and into my crawlspace and rats will use these same burrows to enter.

So far this year...

TR = 53
CH = 35

I have definitely been successful at lowering the populations in my VERY small yard. However, the ONLY way to keep it that way is to stay vigilant every year. Otherwise, at least where I live, they WILL regain their population in one season or less.
Wow that's insane you've got your very own shooting gallery . Yeah you definitely have to be a crackshot to get those chippers no matter the distance they are just to figity by the what gun are you using and also is your freezer full of tree rat or no just curious because with that many squirrels you'd never have to go to the grocery store and buy meat again

Reactions: BackStop
Meant to say by the way what gun are you using
Benjamin Fortitude Gen2 .177 using FX (JSB) 10.3 pellets. Presently I am shooting at ~800fps, but plan to take it back to the ~750fps at which I have taken the majority of the pests over the years. See my signature...

The trick is to clean the barrel when I start to miss.

Count is now:

54 TR
36 CH

Last edited:
Reactions: Hard2hurt223
Benjamin Fortitude Gen2 .177 using FX (JSB) 10.3 pellets. Presently I am shooting at ~800fps, but plan to take it back to the ~750fps at which I have taken the majority of the pests over the years. See my signature...

The trick is to clean the barrel when I start to miss.

Count is now:

54 TR
36 CH
Nice setup good luck wiping out those pests but you might not want to kill all of them so you can have targets for years to come lol also do you eat the tree rats I shot a few years ago battered them and fried them in oil and they tasted like Kentucky fried chicken so if you don't eat them maybe you should try it once you might be surprised.

Nice setup good luck wiping out those pests but you might not want to kill all of them so you can have targets for years to come lol also do you eat the tree rats I shot a few years ago battered them and fried them in oil and they tasted like Kentucky fried chicken so if you don't eat them maybe you should try it once you might be surprised.
Ate them many years ago when my older brother and I hunted them. Swore I would never eat rats again unless it was necessary for my survival. (smile)

• Haha
Reactions: Hard2hurt223
58 TR
37 CH

Stalked at least one, if not two chippers today for about 2 hours. They have a burrow under my neighbor's A/C unit.

Hopefully, they will expose themselves long enough for the shot(s).

Range will only be 10 meters/11 yards. Which is exactly what my indoor range is. (smile)

Just bought my first rangefinder. So, the 75-80 yard kills I made a while back were actually closer to 70 yards. However, based on this more accurate data for the distance, I need to tweak ChairGun because the holdover was MUCH more than it said for 70 yards. Oh well, glad I practiced the shot(s) for about 3 weeks before I attempted a kill on a tree rat... and I ended up DRT'ing three tree rats at that range! (smile)

Oh well, happy 4th of July to all patriots!

Things have slowed down quite a bit here.

The Chipmunks aren't even being seen at long distances where I can't shoot them, let alone in my backyard.

The Tree rats are nearly the same, although I do see some in the neighborhood, but at ranges that I could never make a clean safe shot even if I had permission.

So...

TR = 64
CH = 40

Winning the war? Maybe...

The latest in my war on pests, tree rats and chipmunks.

67 - TR
41 - CH

Looks like I have won the war for now...

Just bought a BOG Death Grip tripod. So far, I really like it, but it is slow to setup for varying situations.

In any case, I took 15 shots at 10 meters indoors and it almost looks like I only shot one pellet!

So, although this is not "bench rest" quality stabilization, it surely reduces my shooter's error out of the equation by quite a bit.

Now, if I only had some pest targets to prove it on. (grin)

My best to everyone at AGN!