Taipan listened.

So coming from someone who has owned both, and hunted with both, I can tell you from experience that it DOES matter. You can bark All you like, but you won’t see any veterans in speed challenges will you?
Well, I'm not sure what a "speed challenge" is, so I'll defer to your experience in that regard. I was thinking of hunting, and other practical shooting applications. There is no all-purpose tool. I can say, from 50+ years of shooting in various shooting sports, many of the best rifles, pistols, and shotguns, in regard to target competition, are very inappropriate for practical hunting applications. But it's all good, buy what you like and enjoy.

Good thing we are all “different” and yes, none of us is going “into battle” with Airguns, that aside. The cocking lever at the rear, though simple is a non starter for many, besides myself. The market “did speak” or they would not have changed the position of the lever. If the original design was such a winner, why did they change it? It was OK back in the day, many present guns are just as good and have the lever where the consumer wants it…
Of course the market dictates, duhh...in a lazy society fascinated with gatgets and everything made easy for them as well as a society of sheep that need to get what others get I'm not surprised Taipan "HAD" to change.

Of course the market dictates, duhh...in a lazy society fascinated with gatgets and everything made easy for them as well as a society of sheep that need to get what others get I'm not surprised Taipan "HAD" to change.
Sheep? I don’t want forward cocking because it’s what everyone else wants, I want it because it makes it more convenient for me as a hunter. You must hate your life with all the advancements that constantly happen in EVERY aspect of our lives.

Like the saying goes in the fire service;

Unimpeded by progress for 345 years!

Dude you are alway denigrating. Now it’s a “lazy society”. I thought we were talking about a lever at the very rear of a gun? So those who prefer otherwise, are “societally lazy”. or sheep? “Everything changes” nothing is “static” under the sun. Your pontifications are unnecessary and juvenile. Maybe its time to go back to “Manny’s Corner”?

Dude you are alway denigrating. Now it’s a “lazy society”. I thought we were talking about a lever at the very rear of a gun? So those who prefer otherwise, are “societally lazy”. or sheep? “Everything changes” nothing is “static” under the sun. Your pontifications are unnecessary and juvenile. Maybe its time to go back to “Manny’s Corner”?
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: how's this guy ?

I never ever read his posts but he seems to be following me around like a pappy dog, always needs to quote me even if it'svother people threads,........looks like he has a man crush and seeksa me out all the time, sorry not interested :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: how's this guy ?

I never ever read his posts but he seems to be following me around like a pappy dog, always needs to quote me even if it'svother people threads,........looks like he has a man crush and seeksa me out all the time, sorry not interested :LOL:
Dude you are now going to be the one person on my ignore list… you were full of yourself at GTA and are showing you true colors here. I’m putting you on the ignore list, because you’re so irresistible to me… “man crush”, wow! This way I won’t read your “know it all”, name calling BS. Later!

Dude you are now going to be the one person on my ignore list… you were full of yourself at GTA and are showing you true colors here. I’m putting you on the ignore list, because you’re so irresistible to me… “man crush”, wow! This way I won’t read your “know it all”, name calling BS. Later!
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:...... finally

... I hope it will make the "old" Vet less expensive and more available in the used market!
Funny you say that....One of my OG Vets has been a sort of test bed for various barrels, reg pressures, etc. I'm always swapping barrels around and just tinkering with it. For the past few months I've been considering selling it and putting that money towards a better compressor.....now with the talk of the Vet II and an assumed cessation of production of the OG....I'm thinking I might hang onto the testbed Vet, as a potential source for spare parts to keep the other OGs running, if nothing else.

I really have high hope that the Vet2 would have ext reg adj. think the ext reg adj worth more than the bottle, front cocking and free float barrel. Beside OG Vet never have a poi issue to start with, but what do I know...
I agree.

Degassing and going in DEEP to adjust the regulator is a cumbersome process. Personally, I'd have been more excited about a new Veteran with externally adjustable reg than the front cocking.

Reactions: Westypete
I can't wait for FX, Daystate, Brocock, Edgun, Kalibrgun, AGT, RTI, Skout, and others to introduce their newest bullpup models all with rear cocking levers.

:)
I can see the ads now, "fewer linkages = smoother cocking!" Or, "fewer parts = greater longevity, your new gun will never wear out with the new and improved rear cocking!" Wait a second.......🧐

• Haha
Reactions: Peskådot671
Sometimes answering the market isn't always a good thing.

Anyone who Ive ever known to use an original vet as a tool, especially the compact version never bitched about the "blocky" stock , in fact quite the opposite "this shoulders amazing" , "what an incredible off hand shooter" , "how light!!!"

Yeah again for the 503495293084932048238743 time, the rear cocking is not optimal, but there are tons of other rifles out there that have more than 1 legitimate "gripe" , really from anyone that actually utilizes their taipan for work/job/home protection against pests, the rear cocking isn't even something they "gripe" about.

I was super pumped because it looked like it was going to be a grand revision that would put all the money where all of the non taipaners mouths were, however after looking into it further and looking past my initial wow/excited moment... I have my reservations about it but I am going to give it a chance and watch and see how this plays out

Last edited:
Reactions: Westypete
Sometimes answering the market isn't always a good thing.

Anyone who Ive ever known to use an original vet as a tool, especially the compact version never bitched about the "blocky" stock , in fact quite the opposite "this shoulders amazing" , "what an incredible off hand shooter" , "how light!!!"

Yeah again for the 503495293084932048238743 time, the rear cocking is not optimal, but there are tons of other rifles out there that have more than 1 legitimate "gripe" , really from anyone that actually utilizes their taipan for work/job/home protection against pests, the rear cocking isn't even something they "gripe" about.

I was super pumped because it looked like it was going to be a grand revision that would put all the money where all of the non taipaners mouths were, however after looking into it further and looking past my initial wow/excited moment... I have my reservations about it but I am going to give it a chance and watch and see how this plays out
Just out of curiosity, what are your reservations? While I disagree with your statement that “everyone whose had one says it shoulders great” because I didn’t think so, and “rear cocking is a non issue” while it wasn’t necessarily a big deal to me, I wouldn’t call it a non issue. I sold my vet mainly because I couldn’t shoot it well. My wildcat was much more comfortable to shoot, and forward cocking to boot. That being said, I miss the anti double load feature, the simple mag, and the ruggedness of the vet. If the vet2 continues all these aspects, and with forward cocking, I’m getting my hands on one for sure. I LOVE the taipan brand, and I’m positive that their engineers while listening to the masses, won’t let it deter them from their already proven name in making Uber reliable and simple rifles that just…plain…work!!

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Just out of curiosity, what are your reservations? While I disagree with your statement that “everyone whose had one says it shoulders great” because I didn’t think so, and “rear cocking is a non issue” while it wasn’t necessarily a big deal to me, I wouldn’t call it a non issue. I sold my vet mainly because I couldn’t shoot it well. My wildcat was much more comfortable to shoot, and forward cocking to boot. That being said, I miss the anti double load feature, the simple mag, and the ruggedness of the vet. If the vet2 continues all these aspects, and with forward cocking, I’m getting my hands on one for sure. I LOVE the taipan brand, and I’m positive that their engineers while listening to the masses, won’t let it deter them from their already proven name in making Uber reliable and simple rifles that just…plain…work!!

I could have worded the first statement better , "Anyone who ive ever personally known (ie in person)..."

My reservations start with the barrel choice and lack of security in it, regardless of what has been posted about the barrel I do believe that part of its intense ruggedness was how the barrel was threaded in and then clipped into the MOA rail and there was NOTHING wrong with that system, every single taipan out there shoots amazingly accurate especially the compact versions for their size. Barrel harmonics are real , they do play a huge role, and the original taipans harmonics or lack there of or special magical combo WORKED. Now theyve gone the route of many, even though what they had worked and there literally is no denying that.

I was really happy to see they thought about a removable lever to make the stock easily removed but I am actually worried the forward cocking may take away from the smoothness of operation that the original vet had, the effortless cocking despite a rear lever. Much like anything the easier we make things for ourselves the less we focus on the minute details, having the ability for quick follow up can easily make the human brain disregard perfect first shot placement when that should always be at the forefront of every shot on a living being.

The other thing is, which im sure they will come out with , at least I hope so, looks like they are lacking a compact setup in their lineup, thats pretty disappointing. The new vet looks overall bigger than previous version , much like anything, just look at a honda accord from 99 and a new one now.

I also think that with all the new bennies the price point is going to be raised even higher , all these companies should be lowering the cost as there is no new technology here but this isnt the manufacturers fault, this is our fault as consumers.

Last edited:
I agree.

Degassing and going in DEEP to adjust the regulator is a cumbersome process. Personally, I'd have been more excited about a new Veteran with externally adjustable reg than the front cocking.
I've never owned a rifle with an externally adjustable reg, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. It does seem like an attractive feature. Given the location and design of the Veteran reg, I don't think that making it externally adjustable is easily feasible, but I'm no engineer. And yes, getting it out to adjust, maybe several times, would be a bit of a chore. Luckily, the Vet is not a rifle I tinker with, so it hasn't been an issue. It seems to me, the original Veteran was designed to be a simple, robust rifle that requires very little maintenance, and I think they were successful.