Stripped shroud screw on new Avenger

Hey,

my new Avenger 25cal seems to have arrived with a striped screw hole where the bbl shroud is attached to the rifle. It seems to be a metal screw into a plastic part. Looking at a parts diagram the stripped hole would be in part# PS-R air reservoir rear plug. I don’t want to send it back for repair if it can be helped and am wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and what fix you may have used. I am in the process of trying different stacks and strippers looking to quiet it down but with this problem the shroud quickly begins to “walk off” and each time I remove the shroud it gets worse.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks,

Tom

I stripped a hex head shroud screw on a Benjamin Bulldog. I tried JB Welding an allen wrench into the stripped out head. I also tried to hand file a flathead slot. Ultimately what worked was using a Dremel tool with a Diamond cutting/engraving tip. I was then able to remove the screw with a screwdriver. However, I marred the shroud in the process. Can you post a picture of yours? That may help others to provide you with better assistance. 

Here’s the thread with pics. Look halfway down the first page. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/newb-attempts-minor-modifications-to-benjamin-bulldog-357/?view=all

Assuming it isn’t a blind hole would it be possible to pressurize it from behind with shop air while trying to back it out or possibly a drop of light oil followed by some glue or thread lock compound that would harden and bind any remaining thread? I’ve never actually tried either method so take my random thoughts as they’re worth... 

If you have access to a tig welder and could get it grounded try a straight piece of Allen key in place of your tungsten and a quick blip of throttle to fuse it?

Carefully applied heat to recast the plastic around the threads?

Some hope, a prayer and safety glasses...

Good luck

Im assuming the shroud setup is like a nova liberty..

First, pull the shroud. There should be another set screw holding the plastic plug to the barrel. Make sure that one isn't stripped also. Any loose parts or movement in the shroud can screw up accuracy. Check the one up by the muzzle also.

Next.... the part is plastic. Rotate the shroud and just drill a new hole a little smaller than the screw on the opposite side of the plug. The screw will self tap and tighten up just fine for you.

I second what John said get the aluminum shroud spacer I like mine, that and my air stripper moderator insert cured my wandering poi.

Jim

Jim, do you mean the same moderator made by the guy who made the aluminum boss? I have a consistency issue and I'm wondering if I should go back to his moderator. It is not as quiet as my Donnyfl Tanto but I'm wondering if my problems started when I changed moderators.

John

It seems Im not the only one with this problem. To make it worse I added a garden hose rubber washer at the end of the stack looking for a better shroud seal at the muzzle, and even though I had drilled a hole at the other end to release pressure the shroud is trying to “walk off”. I see several good fixes here to try. I really hate sending a gun back.

thanks,

Tom