Tuning Slow regulator recovery on Maverick

I have a .22 cal Maverick set up to shoot 18.1 pellets at 890 to 900. This issues is the regulator replenishes the plenum very slowly. I have installed Wika gauges to better monitor the issue. FX said it was a bad plunger in the second regulator so I had it replaced. The first regulator is set at 140 bar and the second at 100 bar and I get 215 shots per fill. My question is if I set the first regulator higher, say 150 bar, will the second regulator fill the plenum faster and more consistently? I think if I put a digital regulator in and shot to the numbers the SD would drop significantly. I would say the fill rate between shots is 15 to 20 seconds. Thanks.

Your question/concern reminded my little brain of something Giles recently said when talking about the new Impact M3, in regard to being a double-regulated gun (and hence, may therefore be applicable to the Maverick as well). "For speed shooting go a little higher in power and the system will refill quicker."

Look at his video starting at 14:35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70DVXcQxKFM

May not totally answer your question, but may point you in the right direction?

Thanks, TMH. You got me thinking and I am certain now that the set up I have sips so little air per shot that the pressure differential at the regulator is so small it cannot push the plunger in significantly and it basically just bleeds a very small amount of air very slowly until the valve shuts. I did increase the hammer spring and shot the pellets at 1011 fps which used significantly more air and the plenum did replenish faster. You were right on. 

It can be an ES of 10 fps of a little less if I watch the regulator and shoot. If I shoot too fast is can vary widely.

So what is your ES over a full string of regular shooting? And by regular shooting, I mean shoot few groups... go check the targets, shoot another few groups... call your buddy, shoot another few groups... etc, I also stretch my string to the next day

Those regulators work just fine when setup 20-40 BAR apart, I'm working on mine right now to shoot low power but before my second reg was at 120BAR with the first 30BAR higher and everything was working just fine, now I'm down to 90BAR on the second and 120BAR on the first one but waiting for lighter hammer to do more testing.

In my opinion, 10 FPS ES is more than good and a gun with 20 FPS can be very accurate.

B

If I shoot at 10 to 12 second interval, using 18.1 gr pellets, from shot to shot the groups are good (at 30 yards .06 to .178 CTC) with an ES of 3 to 5. I shoot 25.39 gr at 50 yards with good result but with a much heavier hammer hit. If I shoot the 18.1s and shoot fast, like for a good wind condition, the shots are .900 first, 919 second, 935 third, 947 fourth, and 957 fifth. But, the target doesn't care the much and can hold .250 inch CTC. Waiting 10 to 12 seconds between shots just seemed long. After overnight with regulator creep the first shot is 853 but hits about a 1/4 inch low but from there on hits are on center.

Beginning of every day of shooting I always blow the first shoot, that just me... do you know what hammer weight do you have? Is your power wheel working correctly?

Asking because before I went down to 90BAR on the second reg my gun was working perfectly at 120BAR with ES below 20FPS, now at 90BAR I got too much hammer weight, my wheel does nothing and my ES is around 40FPS.

B

Well I’ve got 2 mavericks a177 compact and a 22 sniper. The sniper i have set at 140 and 112 shooting nsa 27.5 gr to 928 fps sd1. The 177 i have set at 120 and 80 shooting 12.5 gr nsa to 840 fps sd 2 both have the same hammer and i assume the same spring. The light hammer. I got the slug power kit only installed the hammer but i think its way too heavy for what i want. Ordered a 30 and 25 cal hammer from fx usa but its been over a month and still haven’t seen it. I thing the 25 hammer would be better for those looking for more out of the 22. I also think these guns need to be shot quite a bit to get everything broken in

I do not own a maverick, but the slow recovery of the reg is probably because of the big plenum in the gun. Matt dubber talks about it in this video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lgsFum2JJw&t=513s&ab_channel=AirArmsHuntingSA.

Your gun shooting 18 grain pellets is probably not considered low power, but if you want a faster recovery, you can actually switch the plenum around, so you get a small plenum instead. You might try that?

Edit: Look at about 50 secconds from the start of the video

B, when you go down to 80 bar you will have to adjust your hammer spring using an Allen wrench through the adjusting hole before the wheel will work correctly at that setting.

I'm aware of that man but thanks anyway. Mine has 11g hammer installed which was fine for 120 BAR but at 90 BAR doesn't matter how you adjust the screw nothing is happening, 7g hammer should be here tomorrow. This is my post if you didn't see it https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/new-ft-rig/?view=all#post-987994

B

100 yard slugs 2.1619998921.JPG
1090 yard slugs 3.1619998932.JPG
Shot these at 100 yards with a higher hammer setting using much more air and the ES was 10.4 but accuracy still looks good