Skout Skout Epoch Share and Discussion

So, could you potentially have a set of valve ends, with different orifice sizes, similar to jet sizing, to use in different situations?
Yes, as finer tuning tool within a specific caliber. But IMO not a real efficient way in controlling dwell given such MASSIVE changes in bore area between calibers.
In these early EPOCH guns we have & talking about the transfer flow potential is HUGE having a .350" dump tube for a transfer path !!
As calibers go down the pressure to launch any projectile will INCREASE as caliber decreases ... Simple PSI against a given bore area.
As the pressures go up controlling delivery needs to scale down to keep metered control intact. Small motor, smaller carburetor, bigger motor, bigger carburetor kinda thing.

As previous post kinda touches off of .... while the jet size somewhat controls valve closing cycle, smaller the jet gets less so is the sensitivity it has to throat pressure changes, as well larger jet size gets GREATER will it sensitivity be to pressure changes.
It will be interesting to see how factory ultimately designs the system used from .177 to .357 as it's a pretty large difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: qball and Scotty1
Two fold mod ....

These type valves being similar to others using Throat pressure at time of poppet opening to also assist getting valve shut.

If you have faster / easier pellet or slug break away or even more cork in bottle tight & slow to break away the amplitude & pressure that is harnessed in getting valve closed changes. Differences in throat pressure as well time any given pressure is present will alter closing speed and therefor dwell.
By choking the flow downstream of poppet yet before the actual barrel you create a more consistent back pressure value within throat of valve which I've found in past years of R&D will lower the ES value shot to shot. You are creating sonic choking at a certain size ( pending pressure ) having the greatest expansion of the compressed air happen post restriction within barrel.

All My own R&D has been with conventional hammer knock open poppet balanced valves, tho gas dynamics ( Pneumatics ) stay similar in cause & effect best I know & understand.
The above is proven to be factual and test data supports it ... now a SPOOL valve we're going to assume the physics remain intact until testing supports something different.
OK here we are about 6 weeks later ... tad bit of fiddling has been done within the actual valve poppet, seat & transfer path areas in the first 3 weeks or so.

Early on had made a tapered transfer insert, fitting it within the space of poppets seat to exit where barrel thimble inserts. @ .900" distance.
Taper was from .340" ( same as throat & existing transfer path ) down to .250" at exit. NO POWER LOSS and muzzle report quieter !

Next mod a few weeks later was too open up the bleed hole on poppets head by @ 10% This was taking the existing .035" hole up .002" to .037"
Doing the math on AREA it only took .002" adding the @ 10%
Reason here was to get a tad faster fill on backside of spool valve piston speeding up the closing cycle just a tad & figured all things relative @ ( 10% ) :rolleyes:
* This mod cost me just a tad in power/speed requiring @ 35-40 psi more pressure for equal power ... Very minor IMO
Tad bump on reg to @ 1250 from a previous 1200+ and muzzle report is quieter again .... YEA WE'RE SAVING AIR !!! while rifles sounding a lot snappier.

Now shooting the EPOCK these past 3 weeks as set & loving it ... Had yet to see where too far was in chopping the dwell down further ( Mechanically )
Had fooled with the electronics dwell setting and found much below setting @16 valve function became sketchy. so left it on factory default 23

TODAY pulled the valve block/manifold and added another bit of restriction to the transfers exit area now having the taper go from .340" to .220"
Guess what .... No power loss !!! and quieter yet again. So were throwing JSB 44.75's at 915 fps on @ 1250psi and running a mags worth ( 22 shots ) across the chrony station with an ES on all 22 of 4 fps or +/- 2 fps.

While this is a .30 cal, all this fiddling is in anticipation of barreling this beast in .22 cal or maybe .25 hopefully this summer ( Waiting on SKOUT )

Reactions: qball
No magazines yet but we can start experimenting with other calibers including .22 right now. Early indications are good. I'm having great luck with the 800mm FX Superior heavy .22

I’m gonna have to wait, and hope for Skout to release a great, reasonably priced .22 kit… I’m counting on it. If an FX liner is part of that kit, I’m okay with that.
You should be able to purchase a .22 cal kit currently for use with an FX liner. Contact Darryl at Skout and he should be able to get you set up. Typically you will purchase the FX liner separately from my understanding.

Yea, in all my years shooting air guns from plinking, light hunting to field target, never had need or use for any caliber above .22
That said & being so many guns and gear pass threw the shop yearly no doubt some .25 & .30 cal barrels found there way into the barrel stashes.
Having a WAR & JSAR that could/would produce the power for the bigger calibers I have a few of them tho Very Seldom shoot them :sleep:
When I have shot them yea there fun, wallop targets critters harder etc ... But the cost in ammo, air use just was found excessive for what wanting from an air rifle.
Enter the SKOUT ... only released in .30, still wanted to get hands on one .... Played with, shot about 500 or so pellets & slugs ... same resolve, TOO MUCH GUN/Caliber for my requirements/needs. Thus the SKOUT mostly sits now with only the occasional few shot taken for giggles.
Yup .22 .22 .22 is its intended application & at VERY high power too being I forecast 33.95 JSB & Misc slugs. Thus we wait for it to happen :cautious:

The valve dwarfs the one from my Impact.
View attachment 339981
View attachment 339984
The air passage is angled nicely.

View attachment 339983
All the electrical contacts are pogo pins at detachable points.

View attachment 339985
View attachment 339986
View attachment 339987
The trigger rides on bearings and uses an adjustable magnet as a return spring. I set mine to a 5 oz pull with almost no post travel LOVE IT!
View attachment 339988
View attachment 339990View attachment 339989
Only broken down to the basic components. All in all, very impressive.

View attachment 339992
Anatomy for autopsy in stead of beach volley ball magazine....

Anatomy for autopsy in stead of beach volley ball magazine....
Yup, Big and IMO excessive, tho does aid extraction of more power at lower PSI

In my .30 have found a Tapered transfer path from just behind the seat insert up to the exit at barrel thimble took away no power, reduced dwell some & reduced muzzle report.

Reactions: igolfat8
Yup, Big and IMO excessive, tho does aid extraction of more power at lower PSI

In my .30 have found a Tapered transfer path from just behind the seat insert up to the exit at barrel thimble took away no power, reduced dwell some & reduced muzzle report.
Is there a “poor man’s” version for narrowing the transfer port?