Safety is there for a reason HUBEN k1 DONT SHOOT YOURSELF LIKE MY FRIEND. (Pictures, there not to graphic)

Nobody even said his finger was on the trigger it’s your assumption that it was such. Anyways you know how many guns have gone off from being dropped, it does happen and yes we’re talking about a gun that you can’t decock. I don’t know many people who walk around hunting and wait till they see there prey before loading there clip but hey maybe You do and that’s where the old saying comes from “to each there own” stay safe brother
Actually I asked it as a question, I never assumed this. If he didn't pull the trigger while falling I'd like to know how the bullet was fired. Did it go off without touching the trigger? I don't want to blame anyone, just curious about this :)

Sorry to hear about your friend, hope he recovers quickly!

Accidents happen by carelessness or by things beyond your control. The only thing we can do is to try to mitigate the chance of an accident by trying to anticipate a potential danger and take steps to avoid getting caught.

I use the safeties on my guns but don't rely on them - they are mechanical devices that can fail, especially if the trigger has been lightened. The safest thing is to control where the gun is pointing.

As kids our pellet guns did not have safeties and we carried them loaded all the time. Of half a dozen guys (12 to 15 years old) carrying loaded pellet guns over several years we never had an injury or even a close call. Why? Because we knew the guns were loaded, we knew that WE were responsible for safety and and acted accordingly.

Anyone careless with their gun handling was immediately chastised. Second offenders were "thumped" (soundly) and the one guy who careless and (obviously) didn't care about our safety had his pellet gun confiscated and thrown into the river.

At least it was pointed down, a relatively safe direction. Glad he will be OK. It seems likely his finger was on the trigger but it could have bumped something too. Either way, the safety being on likely would have saved the injury. My airgun safeties just block the trigger from being pulled. Some gun safeties block the firing pin and that is certainly safer. But gun safety requires several things; Only point guns at things you intend to shoot, only load your gun when ready to fire (as you go into the hunting area at the earliest), If you can decock and load when ready to fire do it (only way to do that with my guns is to fire a shot after loading the magazine, probably worth wasting a pellet) and keep your finger off the trigger until you are sighted on the target and have checked what is behind it. Fortunately we do not have to do all these things, usually doing one of them will save us.

One of the issues I have with the K1 is the fact that. It is always ready to shoot if there is a pellet/slug in the magazine. Unlike many other guns with a removable magazine, the Huben‘s magazine is fixed. I never leave mine loaded. I always shoot until it’s empty, since I never want to put it down or put it away with a round in the magazine, no matter the position of the safety.

Now obviously one can’t realistically walk around the woods with the gun empty, then think that you’re going to see a potential target and the load up the gun. However in this situation it is absolutely critical that one engages the safety. Doing otherwise is leaving oneself a hostage to fortune. And fortune is a fickle lady.

Chris

Hallo zusammen, ich bin auf der Suche nach einem Huben-K-Gerät. Ich wollte nur allen etwas mitteilen, was meinem guten Freund passiert ist, der ein Huben-K-Gerät hat. Das ist der Grund, warum ich möchte, dass sich Huben letzte Woche selbst erschossen hat, weil er beim Durchgehen nicht gesichert war der Wald. Als er einen Hügel hinunterging, rutschte er aus und schoss sich durch den Fuß. Er trug 250-Dollar-Red-Wings-Stiefel, die sehr gut verarbeitet sind. Aber es reichte nicht aus, denn der Mensch drang in die Stiefel ein, drang durch seinen Fuß ein und drang durch die Unterseite der Stiefel wieder ein. Ich habe es nur aus eigener Erfahrung bemerkt. Und das Schießen mit Luftgewehren und der Umgang mit Menschen, die mit Luftgewehren schießen, werden manchmal heruntergespielt, weil es sich nicht um eine „echte Waffe“ handelt. Tatsache ist jedoch, dass viele von ihnen eine enorme Kraft abgeben, also seien Sie bitte vorsichtig und behandeln Sie sie immer gleich wie jede andere Waffe, und behalten Sie Ihre Sicherheit bei, bis Sie zu 100 % bereit sind, Ihren Schuss auf Ihr Ziel abzugeben. Ihm geht es gut und er ist gerade erst aus dem Krankenhaus entlassen worden, aber es war eine 42-Korn-Schussgeschosse, wenn der Schuss also woanders gewesen wäre, hätte er lebenswichtig sein können. Vielen Dank an alle und frohes Erntedankfest

Übrigens, auf dem Foto, auf dem sein tatsächlicher Fuß zu sehen ist, sieht man auf seinem Zeh einen grünen Kreis/eine grüne Kugel, die wie ein Inbusschlüssel aussieht und dazu dient, ihn zu greifen und herauszuziehen, sobald er fertig ist. Dieser Stift geht durch seinen Zeh bis zur Rückseite seiner Ferse. Klingt höllisch schmerzhaftView attachment 408824View attachment 408823

One of the issues I have with the K1 is the fact that. It is always ready to shoot if there is a pellet/slug in the magazine. Unlike many other guns with a removable magazine, the Huben‘s magazine is fixed. I never leave mine loaded. I always shoot until it’s empty, since I never want to put it down or put it away with a round in the magazine, no matter the position of the safety.

Now obviously one can’t realistically walk around the woods with the gun empty, then think that you’re going to see a potential target and the load up the gun. However in this situation it is absolutely critical that one engages the safety. Doing otherwise is leaving oneself a hostage to fortune. And fortune is a fickle lady.

Chris
I think it's a gun that even experienced shooters need to exercise extra caution with. As you mentioned, unless the magazine has been emptied, it's always potentially ready to fire, but also, the safety is located near the back of the gun where it's more likely to be ignored and it's a very short gun so it's more likely to be inadvertently pointed at a body part.

I think the Sidewinder has two very important improvements over the K1 with the extra safety near the pistol grip and the removable magazine. More important than enabling fast reloads, what the magazine also allows you to do is to very quickly unload the gun and leave it in a state where you can readily see that it's not loaded.

Last edited:
Great reminder that we need to respect even 12FPE airguns, every year someone die from even Wally World airguns.

This is also precisely why I do not like semiautomatic airguns, you can't unload/decock them. Only safe gun is an unloaded gun.
It's easy to unload a Steyr Pro X and it has a very nice PB like safety.

It's easy to unload a Steyr Pro X and it has a very nice PB like safety.

steyr and L2 that have ammo remain in the mag are definitely safer if you take the mag out. But most semi I know chamber the round which can not be unloaded. I don’t trust safety so I prefer bolt/lever action, so I can acquire then load when ready to shoot.

I think it's a gun that even experienced shooters need to exercise extra caution with. As you mentioned, unless the magazine has been emptied, it's always potentially ready to fire, but also, the safety is located near the back of the gun where it's more likely to be ignored and it's a very short gun so it's more likely to be inadvertently pointed at a body part.

I think the Sidewinder has two very important improvements over the K1 with the extra safety near the pistol grip and the removable magazine. More important than enabling fast reloads, what the magazine also allows you to do is to very quickly unload the gun and leave it in a state where you can readily see that it's not loaded.
That, and the ability to easily clean the barrel, moved me from the K1 and LCS SK19 to a .30 Sidewinder. A bonus was the accuracy of my Sidewinder. It amazed me. impressed me enough to get me to buy a spare magazine at a cost of $150-and worth it. It's made of titanium.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotay42
steyr and L2 that have ammo remain in the mag are definitely safer if you take the mag out. But most semi I know chamber the round which can not be unloaded. I don’t trust safety so I prefer bolt/lever action, so I can acquire then load when ready to shoot.
Interesting that you say that most semi auto guns chamber the round. All of mine (Steyr Pro X, Steyr Hunting 5 SA, Huben K1 and Edgun Leshiy 2) retain the round in the magazine and in fact, fire from the magazine.

Reactions: qball
Interesting that you say that most semi auto guns chamber the round. All of mine (Steyr Pro X, Steyr Hunting 5 SA, Huben K1 and Edgun Leshiy 2) retain the round in the magazine and in fact, fire from the magazine.

True, but only L2 can break the gun in half render it physically impossible to fire. Never messed with styr but someone said mag can be easily taken out. AFAIK all other semi mags can’t be removed. Either way if the gun has to use safety is a no go for me. Even for PB I don’t do round in the chamber, I even remove mag if I’m not ready to shoot. To each their own.

Reactions: ChRiSiS
True, but only L2 can break the gun in half render it physically impossible to fire. Never messed with styr but someone said mag can be easily taken out. AFAIK all other semi mags can’t be removed. Either way if the gun has to use safety is a no go for me. Even for PB I don’t do round in the chamber, I even remove mag if I’m not ready to shoot. To each their own.
I agree 100%. The Steyr’s are really great in that regard, as removing the mag is easy, but so is reinserting it. The L2 is definitely safe when broken open, I just find the whole “break open to load a new mag” to be tedious. Of all of my semi-autos I love the Steyr system the best. With PBs I don’t leave a round in the chamber or a mag in the gun when storing it either. For any form of hunting though it’s hard not to have the mag in the gun (air or PB).

Bottom line - Safety is critical

You can remove the magazine from the Sidewinder as well, which is essentially the same as removing the cylinder from a revolver. With the magazine out it can still release a blast of air and that might constitute an injection hazard, but it cannot fire a projectile.

Thanks, good to know. That gun doesn't seem to have a lot coverage on YouTube or here on AGN, granted my lack of interest in any semi auto is partly why.

With PBs I don’t leave a round in the chamber or a mag in the gun when storing it either. For any form of hunting though it’s hard not to have the mag in the gun (air or PB).

Bottom line - Safety is critical

I was taught safety long time ago before all the tacticool & fast shooting influencers. Even when hunting I have the mag inserted but no round in the camber. Only chamber when getting ready for a shot and if I decide on not to shoot I'll pull the mag, eject the round carefully to put back into the mag and reinsert the mag. With airguns if the prey moves on I'll just scrub the shot safely and keep the chamber empty.

People can call me overly cautious all they want but I will always eliminate any situation that needs to engage safety features on any gun.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChRiSiS
Nobody even said his finger was on the trigger it’s your assumption that it was such. Anyways you know how many guns have gone off from being dropped, it does happen and yes we’re talking about a gun that you can’t decock. I don’t know many people who walk around hunting and wait till they see there prey before loading there clip but hey maybe You do and that’s where the old saying comes from “to each there own” stay safe brother
I hope for a speedy recovery for your friend. Improper handling is what caused this mistake. A finger caught the trigger on the drop, I have seen this exact wound with 22lr a few times on others. Definitely need to practice a bit more weapon handling, or it needs to be unloaded when moving. I had to crawl 100yds over rough muddy terrain for a shot on my last deer harvest, this was with a loaded weapon safety off. There is the right way to move and not. There are many books on this, for military and civilian application,I learned very young with a father in the military, and from the Boy Scouts with amazing various field War Veterans as leaders. Safety is always utmost importance. Unfortunately this lesson will take a long time to recover from, your friend should also look into massage therapy and Lymphatic System Drainage. This will help remove heavy metal that has been spread throughout their body.

Thanks, good to know. That gun doesn't seem to have a lot coverage on YouTube or here on AGN, granted my lack of interest in any semi auto is partly why.

I was taught safety long time ago before all the tacticool & fast shooting influencers. Even when hunting I have the mag inserted but no round in the camber. Only chamber when getting ready for a shot and if I decide on not to shoot I'll pull the mag, eject the round carefully to put back into the mag and reinsert the mag. With airguns if the prey moves on I'll just scrub the shot into safely and keep the chamber empty.

People can call me overly cautious all they want but I will always eliminate any situation that needs to engage safety features on any gun.
You are quite right. I should have said that when hunting I have the mag in the gun, but the action is open and the bolt is back. When I’m ready to shoot then I’ll chamber a round. If I do not take the shot I open the bolt and extract the round. I never walk, especially on broken ground, with a round in the chamber. I’m hunting for sport or food, not playacting being in Afghanistan.