Tuning RAW HM1000x Offset Moderator Removal?

Hi all,

Is the RAW HM1000x offset moderator able to be removed? If so, could someone point me in the right direction of how to do it?

1597099389_8781766915f31cd7d7c1164.60064944.1616078725.jpg

Thanks,
Clayton

Stoti... I've got my order in with Neil. He's going to make me one that is the same length as the stock moderator, since I didn't want to increase the length of the gun. I just need to take off the stock moderator and give him some dimensions.

I'm having quite a time with this piece:

PXL_20210318_200445343.1616098276.jpg

any tips? I've loosened the set screw shown in the picture and I'm using an SMT reflow heat gun to heat it up. It's still not budging. I'm assume it will eventually, so I'll keep at it!

-Clayton

Nevermind.. I eventually got it. It took a lot more heat than I expected (I hate that glue!) I ended up completely removing the barrel from the gun, removing the carbon fiber sleeve and then using the flat surfce of the collar and nudge it off the barrel (backwards) with a mallet. Got my measurements to Neil, and he says the wait time is currently 7-10 days. That's nothing compared to lead times on most things these days!

-Clayton

Reactions: Zach
What caliber are you shooting?

I end up with two inches longer than stock and 1"1/2 OD on mine .30cal, if you shoot .25 or .30 cal I will suggest something longer than stock.

B

25 cal. Neil said that his moderator with the same length as stock would still be quieter than stock, so I'm OK with that. I really don't want more length added even if it would make it quieter.

-Clayton

What caliber are you shooting?

I end up with two inches longer than stock and 1"1/2 OD on mine .30cal, if you shoot .25 or .30 cal I will suggest something longer than stock.

B

25 cal. Neil said that his moderator with the same length as stock would still be quieter than stock, so I'm OK with that. I really don't want more length added even if it would make it quieter.

-Clayton

If that's what you need then you fine, I did need something backyard friendly and works perfect for my needs, you'll be happy with Neil's work.

B

I think mine ended up being a couple inches longer than stock but it is quiet, very quiet. The original design of the offset moderator just isn’t a great design for a .25 or .30. I added a third aluminum insert to the original and extended it a few inches but the air is still directed out the barrel and not deflected out the side holes, so there was no improvement. Finally went over to Neil’s one afternoon, he took some measurements, we talked it over and then he just decided to keep my gun for a few days to make a couple versions to see what worked best. He gave me the one that was quietest and I couldn’t be happier. You’ll be happy with it, Neil makes great moderators.

Have a good one. Stoti

Just a quick update... I ended up having Neil make me 2 moderators. The first one was same length as factory moderator (13.25") and he made this one in Aluminum. The second one is ~16" long made out of carbon fiber. I really like the longer one the best! It quiets the report down quite a lot and looks great. No clipping at all, and accuracy is as good as ever as one would expect from a RAW.

I highly recommend Neil's work and if you're buying for the RAW, I would recommend the 16" version for sure!

Thanks @stoti for pointing me toward Neil. He's a great guy!

-Clayton

PXL_20210426_2229578752.1619566833.jpg

PXL_20210427_225226934.1619566855.jpg

First 5-shot group @ 25 yards with the moderator installed:

PXL_20210427_225803389.1619566870.jpg

Reactions: Ranchibi
How in the world can RAW, being from the UK and well versed in LDC as they are, come up with such a disaster?

I'm suppressed that the N.C. is so long. Mine on another AG is much shorter and puts out more fpe that the RAW. it is a Reflex model.

I also have one ever longer than shown here on a 200 fpe .257 Talon/Dor. Works very well indeed!

Knife