• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

RAW 1000x Chassis rifle

drsquall

Jul 22, 2022
OK
Hello everyone!
First post for me here. I shoot nrl/prs rimfire local matches with my 22lr but am wanting to start doing it with PCP. I am looking at the h1000x for this because I'm left handed and I can get it left handed. I am wanting to shoot slugs and was looking at the 22cal for this. My question is will it get it done? Our local match usually has a stage that is pretty long range out to 353 this year so far. The rest range from 35 to 150yds. Is there enough accuracy and energy with the 22? Also, what kind of shot count before needing to fill back up.

Thanks
Jon

First of all, welcome. You should be able to learn much by searching the archives.

Second, and as to your question — don't set your sites too high (pun intended!) I have shot 22lr matches in past years, usually doing very well at 50' NRA indoors and 50yds outdoors. It is not the same beast with PCP 22 cal. Where I usually could shoot 50 or 100 consistently with Eley Match 22lr my RAW won't compete against 22lr. Don't get me wrong - you probably can't find a more consistent production (non custom built) PCP than a RAW, but 240s in N50 are a good norm to "shoot" for. 100 yards and more with 22 cal PCP competing against powder burners is expecting too much in my opinion. Those that shoot over 100 yards in competition do so with 25 cal or 30 cal.

As to shot count, my RAW with factory tune shoots 25 grain pellets at 946 muzzle velocity. I tend to get 35-40 good shots (sometimes more) before I am down to regulator pressure. Compare that to 1000fps or more with 22lr. I think purchasing a RAW is a good choice. Just don't think it will compete at 150 yards or more — not in 22 cal at least. Maybe 30 cal. But your shot count per charge will be lower.

This is how mine shoots at 25 yards indoors:

589A77EF-7C41-4856-A31E-64361F7E79F6.jpeg

Then here is outdoors at 50 yards:

06676187-B517-4ED2-9FCD-BA6AC52F61EE.jpeg

Keep in mind Wind has a greater affect on pellets and slugs from an air rifle than with 22lr. Good luck in finding your PCP.

Reactions: drsquall
First of all, is the stock ambidextrous on the chassis stock? If so, I would suggest that you get the rifle in the RH set up. I say this, as I am also left handed. { left eye dominance }. With the RH set up, you never have to remove your finger off the trigger. You can then cock and load with the RH with ease, unless of course you use a mag.or single shot loader. { left side only } I personally load single shot by inserting the pellet into the breech with my fingers. The receiver is made with ample room to do this rather easily. Of course, this is only a suggestion from experience on my part. You need to do what is comfortable for you. I also shoot an FX Crown, Daystate Wolverine and FWB 800 FT the same way. All have ambidextrous stocks. The accuracy of the .22 RAW HM1000X you are looking at, is hard to beat shooting the JSB 25.39's tuned to 940 to 950 FPS from 25 to100 yds. You can expect to get 40 to 50 shots on a fill depending on tune speed If you get the rifle, first thing I would do, would be to poop Can that horrible moderator and get one from Martin at Airguns USA or Neil Clague in CA.
Good Luck!

Well, thanks for the info and thats what I was afraid of. I'm not going to put over 2,000 into a setup and not be able to play and be somewhat competitive. I will do some research on the 30cal route but I will probably put the money on building a vudoo for 22. I prefer a true left handed action and in nrl you need a mag because most stages are 10-12 rounds with 60-120 second time limit. No single feeding

I was competing in NRL22 from the beginning and saw the equipment and the sport advance. When the Vudoo's started showing up is when I started finishing down the roster more often but before that I would win quite a bit with my Anschutz 1827F 22rf.

So IMHO you're way better off with the Vudoo 22rf. The NRL22 sized targets are more appropriate for rimfire and get hard to hit with a airgun so hit ratios for airgun are often 1/2 to 2/3 what the top rimfire shooters can achieve. One reason why is "wind drift" which is 3 times more with pellets and noticeably more than 22rf even with slugs.

The other reason is the nice chassis systems available for Vudoo's which already have integral ARCA rails and weight attachments points are hard to beat from balance and weight perspective. You pretty much have to have a 20-ish pound Vudoo or other custom action with heavy barrel to be competitive which is the main reason I stopped shooting NRL22, well that among other reasons.

Also it's not uncommon for a Vudoo to put down close to 3/4 moa groups at 100Y whereas with an airgun that is tough to accomplish and actually 1.5 moa is more common.

I was competing in NRL22 from the beginning and saw the equipment and the sport advance. When the Vudoo's started showing up is when I started finishing down the roster more often but before that I would win quite a bit with my Anschutz 1827F 22rf.

So IMHO you're way better off with the Vudoo 22rf. The NRL22 sized targets are more appropriate for rimfire and get hard to hit with a airgun so hit ratios for airgun are often 1/2 to 2/3 what the top rimfire shooters can achieve. One reason why is "wind drift" which is 3 times more with pellets and noticeably more than 22rf even with slugs.

The other reason is the nice chassis systems available for Vudoo's which already have integral ARCA rails and weight attachments points are hard to beat from balance and weight perspective. You pretty much have to have a 20-ish pound Vudoo or other custom action with heavy barrel to be competitive which is the main reason I stopped shooting NRL22, well that among other reasons.

Also it's not uncommon for a Vudoo to put down close to 3/4 moa groups at 100Y whereas with an airgun that is tough to accomplish and actually 1.5 moa is more common.
I totally agree about the vudoo and rimx taking over they game for sure. I am looking at a vudoo with Bartlein barrel in a foundation stock. Now if I want to spend 3500 for it. Just hard to swallow when I only shoot local matches. Thanks for the info.

Jon