Opening morning for primitive weapons in GA success

No mention of using the tongue by anyone as well
Probably my favourite bit
U guys are just lucky to have deer
Being born in Africa, the roos in the land down under just don't cut it
If any of u want to shoot a couple of kangaroos, come visit
Do you just skin the tongue out and treat it like any other meat? Or is there a special way to prepare it? Growing up we usually just took the muscle type meats and the dogs or wild critters got the rest but I've started eating some of the organs now that I'm older and have gotten one of my brothers on board with eating the heart and a little bit of liver but that's about as far as we've gotten so far. Heart is my favorite part of the deer at this point.

Y'all pretty much have an open season on pigs in Australia too don't y'all? Or is that pretty regulated as well?

Depends on state here in Oz, very little hunting on state land and very restrictive gun laws, but we have very few school shootings
Anything goes on private land on pigs - and camels

Try filling the heart with brain , it's like marrow and givea beaut taste
Tongue , easiest is take as much out as u can , cut through bottom of jaw in front , then use that as a grabbing point , pull out, Run knife through in an oval pattern, or 1cut each side of tongue, pull out then remove skin , remove the glands at base of tongue
Boiling is easiest , pressure cook even easier , with some spices eg salt pepper pimento / all spice and dry coriander,, Bay leave small amount , boil , I pressure cook for about 25 - 35 min
Ms reckons 30 mins for 1st 1kg then another 10mins/ 100g up to Max of 1hr thats even op t or2.,5kg , that's a big steer
Or a medium size camel let stand to cool off
Use remaining fluid as a very Rich stock in soups etc
If it tastes spongy , it's raw , one of the only meats better over than undercooked,
Fk I'm drooling now

Depends on state here in Oz, very little hunting on state land and very restrictive gun laws, but we have very few school shootings
Anything goes on private land on pigs - and camels

Try filling the heart with brain , it's like marrow and givea beaut taste
Tongue , easiest is take as much out as u can , cut through bottom of jaw in front , then use that as a grabbing point , pull out, Run knife through in an oval pattern, or 1cut each side of tongue, pull out then remove skin , remove the glands at base of tongue
Boiling is easiest , pressure cook even easier , with some spices eg salt pepper pimento / all spice and dry coriander,, Bay leave small amount , boil , I pressure cook for about 25 - 35 min
Ms reckons 30 mins for 1st 1kg then another 10mins/ 100g up to Max of 1hr thats even op t or2.,5kg , that's a big steer
Or a medium size camel let stand to cool off
Use remaining fluid as a very Rich stock in soups etc
If it tastes spongy , it's raw , one of the only meats better over than undercooked,
Fk I'm drooling now
I draw the line at brains, prions and all that. I'm theoretically willing to try just about anything else once. I've heard good and bad things about tongue but I may give it a try if I harvest a deer this year. Thanks for the info. You sound like an adventures eater, have you ever tried the stomach. Here in Texas you can get manudo (sp?) At Mexican restaurants that is basically a cow stomach soup. Some of it's pretty good some of it I don't care for. I can't give you any recipes as I'm a gringo, but I'm sure there are some online.

U would be surprised what your shop bought sausages contain 😜
Grew up with the old man teaching u eat what u kill , and u show respect by using the whole animal , except for carnivores vermin the skin was used though
Shot a sea gull on a holiday , about 7 yrs old with my BSA Meteor springer , my first gun
horrible eating experience, still remember it old man made me cook , on open fire , and eat it
My mates love visiting south East Asia with me , I eat everything the locals dish up

Stomach is hard to clean properly to lose the " ruminant" flavour , if done properly it's bloody good
I'm not into glands at all, the rest gets eaten , intestines for sausages etc, bones cooked of for brawn
Except for chicken and sometimes prawns I do not buy any meat
I hunt , fish and dive and have a ms who likes to make small goods
we are lucky I live in an area that's got scrub bulls , (wild cattle ) about 4 hr drive away
sadly deer is non existent in this state, but I travel for them

as for adventurous eating, no not really, I dislike vegetables and am not really into kangaroo
Have never had squirrel , but will hopefully be visiting US next year to set that right

U would be surprised what your shop bought sausages contain 😜
Grew up with the old man teaching u eat what u kill , and u show respect by using the whole animal , except for carnivores vermin the skin was used though
Shot a sea gull on a holiday , about 7 yrs old with my BSA Meteor springer , my first gun
horrible eating experience, still remember it old man made me cook , on open fire , and eat it
My mates love visiting south East Asia with me , I eat everything the locals dish up

Stomach is hard to clean properly to lose the " ruminant" flavour , if done properly it's bloody good
I'm not into glands at all, the rest gets eaten , intestines for sausages etc, bones cooked of for brawn
Except for chicken and sometimes prawns I do not buy any meat
I hunt , fish and dive and have a ms who likes to make small goods
we are lucky I live in an area that's got scrub bulls , (wild cattle ) about 4 hr drive away
sadly deer is non existent in this state, but I travel for them

as for adventurous eating, no not really, I dislike vegetables and am not really into kangaroo
Have never had squirrel , but will hopefully be visiting US next year to set that right
On the sausage point you may be right, but I'm pretty sure the US has some rules about using brain after the mad cow disease scare in I think the 90s. At least that's what I'm going to believe regardless of the truth. Lol.

I'm all for using as much of the animal as possible. What I don't use goes to the dogs or gets "recycled" back into nature. I don't throw it in the dumpster, so it doesn't go to waste. I do take a fairly strict stance on harvesting in a conservation minded way though, so I'm not just out slaughtering anything that moves. Typically the only things I kill that aren't for food are animals causing a problem. Even a lot of them get trapped and released somewhere they won't be a problem. Pigs get treated like cockroaches though anything an everything goes when it comes to killing them, but that is for conservation of the native species.

Have fun in America it's a great place to live or visit. Where are you planning to visit?

havalon piranta, uses disposable scalpel type blades. Love it. Its the only thing I use for dressing animals.
I'm buying one! I need a folder like this. Oddly, I just bought a wiebe fixed blade that uses the same disposable blades. Fantastic knife with a really good feeling handle. Nothing compares to field dressing with a scalpel! The only thing I wouldn't use them for is popping joints.

Some additional spoils of the harvest. Pot roast with mushroom gravy from homemade bone broth, jasmine rice and garlic sweet peas. Meal prepped the rest for lunch. Roommates girlfriend was flabbergasted that it was deer meat. But that has been the reaction I get every time I feed someone venison.
1668384643353.png