Daystate New to Delta Wolf - Questions

The Delta/Alpha wolf platform is absolutely amazing - if you got a lemon, don’t give up, ask AOA to get it sorted; their techs know their stuff…if they can’t sort it have them replace it completely-they will do that.
The best advice i can share is don’t start fiddling with the settings, use the factory mode for a good while and only start tweaking things if you have a specific need.
Learn this platform from the bottom up.
Electronic Airguns are the future but we won’t leave our mechanical wonders behind either - they are simply 1/2 brothers.

In theory only, and I say "only" because I haven't received my .30 DW yet, it's enroute, Advanced Mode should yield consistent results leaving the barrel regardless of atmospheric conditions. In free flight (out of the barrel) atmospheric conditions do have a significant impact on trajectory of the round, particularly at longer range. I suppose there could be one exception based on extreme temperature changes, assuming the swing in temperature is significant enough to materially change the dimension of the barrel (expansion/contraction). Assuming a starting point of 950 fps is the target speed, a slug or pellet will travel the length of the barrel (600mm) in .0020724 sec....plus a small additional time to accelerate from zero to 950 fps and a dwell time between firing and fully open valve, so I'd round up and set the time to 2,750us as a start. The optimum is open the valve as quickly as possible, leave it open until the slug or pellet is exiting the barrel so set the voltage at 85. Pick a pressure setting 175bar, fire the rifle. Adjust the pressure setting to increase or decrease the speed to achieve the closest value to 950 or above, then decrease the time setting to attain 950 fps. The final setting should provide repeatable results day in day out, notwithstanding projectile irregularities, or the condition of the bore, both could increaase or decrease drag in the barrel.

In theory only, and I say "only" because I haven't received my .30 DW yet, it's enroute, Advanced Mode should yield consistent results leaving the barrel regardless of atmospheric conditions. In free flight (out of the barrel) atmospheric conditions do have a significant impact on trajectory of the round, particularly at longer range. I suppose there could be one exception based on extreme temperature changes, assuming the swing in temperature is significant enough to materially change the dimension of the barrel (expansion/contraction). Assuming a starting point of 950 fps is the target speed, a slug or pellet will travel the length of the barrel (600mm) in .0020724 sec....plus a small additional time to accelerate from zero to 950 fps and a dwell time between firing and fully open valve, so I'd round up and set the time to 2,750us as a start. The optimum is open the valve as quickly as possible, leave it open until the slug or pellet is exiting the barrel so set the voltage at 85. Pick a pressure setting 175bar, fire the rifle. Adjust the pressure setting to increase or decrease the speed to achieve the closest value to 950 or above, then decrease the time setting to attain 950 fps. The final setting should provide repeatable results day in day out, notwithstanding projectile irregularities, or the condition of the bore, both could increaase or decrease drag in the barrel.
Or you could follow @cavedweller 's advice and start with the Factory Mode, which is what the gun was designed for. Not sure where this "950" came from, but the majority of .30 pellets are most accurate from 850 to 900 fps. I shoot the JSB 50.1 from mine at 870 fps using Factory Mode, and I've had my DW since they first came to the USA (early 2021?). It's an MOA gun at 100 yards under good conditions. Your speed will change with atmospheric conditions (temp, pressure, humidity) when using the Advanced Mode. If Factory Mode, the gun will maintain your desired speed at or in whatever conditions you shoot.

Reactions: SorenDrost
Or you could follow @cavedweller 's advice and start with the Factory Mode, which is what the gun was designed for. Not sure where this "950" came from, but the majority of .30 pellets are most accurate from 850 to 900 fps. I shoot the JSB 50.1 from mine at 870 fps using Factory Mode, and I've had my DW since they first came to the USA (early 2021?). It's an MOA gun at 100 yards under good conditions. Your speed will change with atmospheric conditions (temp, pressure, humidity) when using the Advanced Mode. If Factory Mode, the gun will maintain your desired speed at or in whatever conditions you shoot.
OK....I've shot over 500 RMR slugs at the same advanced setting yielding 900 fps +- 5 and shot consistency is just fine. I appreciate that factory mode works for many, and advanced mode also works just fine.

OK....I've shot over 500 RMR slugs at the same advanced setting yielding 900 fps +- 5 and shot consistency is just fine. I appreciate that factory mode works for many, and advanced mode also works just fine.
Yup, that sounds good. Did you shoot some at sea level, and others at 4500 feet? Did you shoot some at 45 degrees and others at 85 degrees? How about in the morning when very humid and then after it dries out in the afternoon? I'll guarantee you that your speed wouldn't remain constant in those situations. If all you're going to do is shoot it like a Red Wolf, then Advanced is great... But to take advantage of what the designers and engineers provided for you; Factory mode is the way to go...

Curious.....how much do you believe atmospheric conditions affect a projectile in level flight within 100 yards? Yes shooting at extreme angles have significant impact. But what about pure atmospheric variables. At 100 yards is it significant? From what research I've done (albeit mostly standard powder cartridges) until you reach out to 500 yards (even then) the differences are negligible. Wind and the shooter's abilities are the two most relevant variables.

Curious.....how much do you believe atmospheric conditions affect a projectile in level flight within 100 yards? Yes shooting at extreme angles have significant impact. But what about pure atmospheric variables. At 100 yards is it significant? From what research I've done (albeit mostly standard powder cartridges) until you reach out to 500 yards (even then) the differences are negligible. Wind and the shooter's abilities are the two most relevant variables.
I’m talking about INTERNAL ballistics and how the gun actually functions, not EXTERNAL after it leaves the muzzle. And yes, without a doubt speed is affected by weather and location factors.
I experienced this in December at the EFT GP event in Orlando with a borrowed .25 Delta Wolf set up in Advanced mode. It was shooting MK2 Heavy on day 1 in sunny very warm weather at 900 fps. The next morning for day 2, chilly and humid, the same gun with the same ammo with the same Advanced settings was shooting 880 fps.
You tell me if that makes any difference at 100 yards because I already experienced the answer.
In factory mode it would have shot the same speed both days.
Mic drop…. 😎

I’m talking about INTERNAL ballistics and how the gun actually functions, not EXTERNAL after it leaves the muzzle. And yes, without a doubt speed is affected by weather and location factors.
I experienced this in December at the EFT GP event in Orlando with a borrowed .25 Delta Wolf set up in Advanced mode. It was shooting MK2 Heavy on day 1 in sunny very warm weather at 900 fps. The next morning for day 2, chilly and humid, the same gun with the same ammo with the same Advanced settings was shooting 880 fps.
You tell me if that makes any difference at 100 yards because I already experienced the answer.
In factory mode it would have shot the same speed both days.
Mic drop…. 😎
My experience shooting in NH.....in temperatures ranging from 20 degrees to 65 degrees; in adv. mode it shoots consistently 900fps +-5 at the same setting. I suppose if you leave the rifle in the sun and the barrel heats up thermal expansion my play a role. How do you believe temperature and humidity affected the rifle, and the electromechnical components of the rifle, beyond thermal expansion or contraction? I guess with your experience I assume all the rifles that aren't electronic would have to be adjusted mechanically every day there is a significant change in temperature?????? My Brocock .25 sniper xr magnum has been extremely accurate with the same setup shooting H&N slugs for 2 years.

• Wow
Reactions: Centercut
My experience shooting in NH.....in temperatures ranging from 20 degrees to 65 degrees; in adv. mode it shoots consistently 900fps +-5 at the same setting. I suppose if you leave the rifle in the sun and the barrel heats up thermal expansion my play a role. How do you believe temperature and humidity affected the rifle, and the electromechnical components of the rifle, beyond thermal expansion or contraction? I guess with your experience I assume all the rifles that aren't electronic would have to be adjusted mechanically every day there is a significant change in temperature?????? My Brocock .25 sniper xr magnum has been extremely accurate with the same setup shooting H&N slugs for 2 years.
You're obviously entitled to your opinion...

OK...but I'm still curious how temperature affects the internal workings of a Delta wolf, or any other PCP. If the temperature variation had the affect on the rifle you were shooting, it should also affect every rifle. It's not an opinion, since you said it was a fact that you experienced. So you piqued my curiosity about how the temperature variation could change the performance of the rifle.

OK...but I'm still curious how temperature affects the internal workings of a Delta wolf, or any other PCP. If the temperature variation had the affect on the rifle you were shooting, it should also affect every rifle. It's not an opinion, since you said it was a fact that you experienced. So you piqued my curiosity about how the temperature variation could change the performance of the rifle.
Agree, it wasn't my opinion. It was what actually happened. Another example was a couple of years back, I had my .30 FX Bobcat at about 3500 ft elevation (Descanso, CA) in the early AM. It was tuned at sea level (San Diego, CA) and 75-to-80-degree temperatures for 880 fps with JSB 44.75 pellets. When I checked prior to shooting that morning in 45-degree weather, the speed was 855 fps. And later that day in the afternoon when temps had risen to 80 degrees, the speed was at about 880 fps... So yes, not opinion on my part...