• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

New RAW TM1000x - first range outing

Keith

If you look closely at the 40Y groups ( #4 and #5 ) in the picture, they did open up at the end. Also, I shot a bunch of 30y groups that I did not show, and they were just ok. Not great. I would get a flier about every 8-9 shots, but that also could have been wind.

Very early yet, so will continue to post groups or score cards.

If you can share anything you heard from other RAW TM1000x owners on the 16.2g not shooting great, would like to hear more and learn about their experiences.

In any case, I cleaned the barrel and will be ready for the next outing in a week or so. I will continue to post results as I figure this out.
Sorry. It wasn’t specific to the RAW. It was just in general that seems like the majority of people that try them, can’t get them to group well. You seemed to be having better luck than most so far.

Sorry. It wasn’t specific to the RAW. It was just in general that seems like the majority of people that try them, can’t get them to group well. You seemed to be having better luck than most so far.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Going to try different velocities to see if slower may even be better.

Before I do that though, I am going to first try an cherry pick a light wind day, with warmer temps. Then, try again at 30, 40 and even 50y; IF….it shoots well at the shorter distances. Current last three Chrony runs were at 880 FPS average.

Fabricate an Anti-Hammer bounce SSG devise & save some air ! That will in turn also reduce the turbulence as pellet leaves muzzle increasing accuracy in nearly every case.

Very SHARP looking RAW you have there ;)

Scott - thanks for the compliment and the tip.

Re. Anti-Hammer bounce and SSG device. I like the idea, especially your logic as to how it can increase accuracy and reduce wasted air. I opted for the 220cc air cylinder vs. 480cc bottle, so reducing wasted air and turbulence, while increasing shot count and improving accuracy would also be a nice enhancement.

Q. Do you happen to know if this is something Martin routinely does for new guns, or should I ask him about it? I wish I would have suggested this before he shipped it out new.

In fact, I have a 2019/20 RAW HM1000x .22 HP, that probably can benefit from the same solution.

Scott - thanks for the compliment and the tip.

Re. Anti-Hammer bounce and SSG device. I like the idea, especially your logic as to how it can increase accuracy and reduce wasted air. I opted for the 220cc air cylinder vs. 480cc bottle, so reducing wasted air and turbulence, while increasing shot count and improving accuracy would also be a nice enhancement.

Q. Do you happen to know if this is something Martin routinely does for new guns, or should I ask him about it? I wish I would have suggested this before he shipped it out new.

In fact, I have a 2019/20 RAW HM1000x .22 HP, that probably can benefit from the same solution.
Sadly, these rifles are built as they have always been. They do what works and is the most user friendly and fuss free. Pretty sure Martin DOES NOT do SSG devises. As one who was testing and refining them after there concept was talked about on the GTA forum years ago, There pretty much a self fabricate sort of devise leaving the details to the end user and gun retrofitted into in figuring out.

I build them frequently for RAW & THEOBEN's air guns while in the shop for advanced tuning work. When the hammers go to controlled free flight there is some other tuning / adjusting needing to get everything running with a tight ES ( Reg set point and even hammer stroke changes may apply )

SSG's are best suited to a PCP where the OUTPUT is fixed ( Outside of having an adjustable transfer choke miens ) Target / Competition rifles especially.
In PCP's where HIGH POWER is being chased & case in point a .22 cal 1000X, A hammer in free flight is a lot more difficult to find the same power output as a hammer that has poppet stem preload present .. JMO
Good luck on your journey is sorting it all out and ultimately being VERY happy with your new to you RAW ;)

^^^^ as above^^^^
Personally I would try a 10 or 13 gram pellet in the 850-920 range as I have never found a barrel that shoots 16grn pellets more accurately. Using a lighter pellet increase shot count while reducing vibration and muzzle flip.

Once you have found the ideal velocity, then try the ssg at that speed, (you may need to tweak the velocity a little as the tune will have altered slightly) an ssg will increase shot count further and reduce vibration even more.

As already mentioned, all my raw and rapids are more accurate with a moderator than without, I think is probably due to the moderator reducing recoil and muzzle flip.

Anything you can do to make the gun smoother (polishing the spring, hammer and inertia weight) will also help make the gun more enjoyable too shoot

Good luck

Bb

This is 5 shots at 35 yards with my .177 Theoben mfr 8.4grn@800fps

71B2D1CF-35C1-471D-8675-4A8D63581671.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: woogie_man
Sadly, these rifles are built as they have always been. They do what works and is the most user friendly and fuss free. Pretty sure Martin DOES NOT do SSG devises. As one who was testing and refining them after there concept was talked about on the GTA forum years ago, There pretty much a self fabricate sort of devise leaving the details to the end user and gun retrofitted into in figuring out.

I build them frequently for RAW & THEOBEN's air guns while in the shop for advanced tuning work. When the hammers go to controlled free flight there is some other tuning / adjusting needing to get everything running with a tight ES ( Reg set point and even hammer stroke changes may apply )

SSG's are best suited to a PCP where the OUTPUT is fixed ( Outside of having an adjustable transfer choke miens ) Target / Competition rifles especially.
In PCP's where HIGH POWER is being chased & case in point a .22 cal 1000X, A hammer in free flight is a lot more difficult to find the same power output as a hammer that has poppet stem preload present .. JMO
Good luck on your journey is sorting it all out and ultimately being VERY happy with your new to you RAW ;)

Thanks for the explanation. All the background is helpful Scott.

Assume since I meet all the qualifications specified, I could send to you at some point if wanted to pursue? I.e., can You fabricate an anti hammer bounce SSG for the TM1000x? Not ready to do just yet, but just want to know if you would do it?

I do like the concept.

^^^^ as above^^^^
Personally I would try a 10 or 13 gram pellet in the 850-920 range as I have never found a barrel that shoots 16grn pellets more accurately. Using a lighter pellet increase shot count while reducing vibration and muzzle flip.

Once you have found the ideal velocity, then try the ssg at that speed, (you may need to tweak the velocity a little as the tune will have altered slightly) an ssg will increase shot count further and reduce vibration even more.

As already mentioned, all my raw and rapids are more accurate with a moderator than without, I think is probably due to the moderator reducing recoil and muzzle flip.

Anything you can do to make the gun smoother (polishing the spring, hammer and inertia weight) will also help make the gun more enjoyable too shoot

Good luck

Bb

This is 5 shots at 35 yards with my .177 Theoben mfr 8.4grn@800fps

View attachment 449980

Thanks Pete.

I’m getting a lot of good advice here guys, and I’m soaking it up.

The reg is currently set around 145-150 for the 16.2 Martin tune. He told me I would only need around 120 BAR for the 13.4g. Alternatively, I guess I can dial back the HST and try the 13.4g, and temporarily leave the reg ‘as is.’

To be fair, Martin strongly suggested the 13.4 at around 810 FPS velocity. I pushed a little, because I was concerned about 40-50Y accuracy with that setup for the 40y Masters/Challenge cards and because I wanted to shoot N50 50Y cards.

So, going to try the. 16.2g a couple/ few more times and assess. Then, going to try the 13.4g and see how it shoots. I have a .25 cal DonnyFl moderator and two ODB .22 moderators.

What moderator are you using?

Reactions: bucketboy
Thanks Pete.

I’m getting a lot of good advice here guys, and I’m soaking it up.

The reg is currently set around 145-150 for the 16.2 Martin tune. He told me I would only need around 120 BAR for the 13.4g. Alternatively, I guess I can dial back the HST and try the 13.4g, and temporarily leave the reg ‘as is.’

To be fair, Martin strongly suggested the 13.4 at around 810 FPS velocity. I pushed a little, because I was concerned about 40-50Y accuracy with that setup for the 40y Masters/Challenge cards and because I wanted to shoot N50 50Y cards.

So, going to try the. 16.2g a couple/ few more times and assess. Then, going to try the 13.4g and see how it shoots. I have a .25 cal DonnyFl moderator and two ODB .22 moderators.

What moderator are you using?
That a good shout from Martin but I actually prefer the 10’s .Trust me,unless it’s windy and if everything is working well, accuracy with a lighter pellet at 40 and 50yards and even further isn’t an issue My best 100yard 5 shot group with 8.4grn pellets @ 800fps is 15mm but that was on a flat calm day,

I make my own moderators and shrouds, and to give you an idea how little recoil my guns have after all the work I have done to them, I can balance 2 x.177 pellets on my moderator (one on top of the other) then take a shot without the pellets falling off.

Bb

Thanks for the explanation. All the background is helpful Scott.

Assume since I meet all the qualifications specified, I could send to you at some point if wanted to pursue? I.e., can You fabricate an anti hammer bounce SSG for the TM1000x? Not ready to do just yet, but just want to know if you would do it?

I do like the concept.
Only for guns in shop .. I don't fabricate ANY self install tuning parts or pieces.

Only for guns in shop .. I don't fabricate ANY self install tuning parts or pieces.

Sorry Scott

I am not following. I think your original post was suggesting to install the anti hammer bounce to HELP my accuracy. Please reread your post.

I did not self install any tuning parts, I just purchased the rifle and I’m reacting to your suggestion.

I’m asking if you will do, or if not, who does? I don’t have the skills.

Reactions: Motorhead
Sorry Scott

I am not following. I think your original post was suggesting to install the anti hammer bounce to HELP my accuracy. Please reread your post.

I did not self install any tuning parts, I just purchased the rifle and I’m reacting to your suggestion.

Lost in translation ...
I do install & sell SSG devices and provide professional tuning services on air guns sent into my shop.
I Do Not sell the parts or pieces for self installation.

Don't know of anyone who sells these type devices as a drop in / self service part.

Hope that clears it up ;)

Last edited:
Lost in translation ...
I do install & sell SSG devices and provide professional tuning services on air guns sent into my shop.

Don't know of anyone who sells these type devices as a drop in / self service part.

Definitely clears it up, thanks! I misunderstood initially and will try a few things first, but good to know I can send to you for this solution if/when I want to implement.

Reactions: Motorhead
Lost in translation ...

I do sell some parts for self installation but the ssg device is not one of them. Ssg require a great deal of fiddling about to get the most out of them, especially so when we in the uk are limited to sub12fpe but of course everyone wants to be as close to that as possible. Special attention has to be made regarding end float, pip length and reg pressure, get that right and shot count can almost double.

I can get very similar results with a heavier inertia weight but the tm and bm hammer has a reduced weight and internal Dia so fitting a significantly heavier inertia becomes more difficult.

One of my favourite modifications is the hammer support sleeve, while this may not directly improve consistency or accuracy it definitely reduces block noise and vibration making the gun much nicer to shoot. This is another upgrade that is not a diy install as some machining of the hammer and the block is needed. Another advantage of the hammer support sleeve is that it prevents valve damage should the gun be fired without air, even with a heavy hammer spring.

Bb

Sorry Scott

A member on this forum named Mubhaur sells a anti hammer bounce / SSG device for RAWS.

Martin and I talked after my outing. Who else do we know that picks up the phone, when he is super busy; and talks to me for 20 minutes like there is no one else but me.

Incredible!!

What a great guy!
So your the reason why my HM1000x isn't getting built! Stop harassing Martin and let him work....at least until I get my rifle. Lol