Need suggestion 177 rifle $150-275 price range for novice?

I am very familiar with air pistols and rifles however not really in this range. A good friend wants to try a pellet rifle. Here is the criteria:

1 price $150-275

2 good OPEN sights!! , he does not want a scope. peep sights? 

3 use: backyard plinking 10-30 yards?? maybe 40. 

4 lets say 1 inch at 30+yards for accuracy ie my point is he will probably be shooting cans maybe 1 inch spinners not 10m Olympic competition if that makes sense.

5 simple, reliable, ease of use and high enough quality that he wont tire of it. and I will enjoy shooting it.

6 not co2 and I dont think a pump would work ie he wont want to pump it 10 times to shoot each pellet. 

7 Adult size

What rifle would you suggest, which pellets to start with, where to puchase.?? I will pass this along to him. Thanks for your help!!!

Don’t get pulled into the 1200 FPS stuff. And dont buy one of the local sporting goods store air guns. 
Stick with RWS , HW and the like. I strongly encourage people to buy used. There are always good deals here in our classifieds. 
I just picked up a used RWS 34 series gun. (From here ) It has been professionally tuned with upgraded seals and springs. And actually de - tuned probably around the 12 to 13 FPE range. 
An amazing trigger (T06) 
It shoots Crosman pellets ok. But today I just received in some H&N Field Target Trophies and at 22 yards it’s shooting one ragged hole. Sometimes pellet on pellet. I’ve only had the gun a week. It was not much more than your high end price. But I think it was worth it. The gun is so easy to shoot. 

Is your friend into DIY mods?

You say he doesn't want to have to pump it 10 times? What if the pumps are E-A-S-Y pumps? What if 5 E-A-S-Y pumps are all that is needed?

Here's a thread I posted last week: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/daisy-880-vs-winchester-1977xs-full-review-by-airgun-detectives/

And, another thread I posted awhile back: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/winchester-1977xs-velocity-and-accuracy-testing-ggg/?view=all#post-962795

My Winnie 1977XS is crazy accurate w/ the mods I did to it and pumps easy peasy. The Daisy 880 costs $40 nearly everywhere and can often be found cheaper than that. The 880 needs extensive modding to get it up to the level of the 1977XS though.

As a newby I also recomend a good used springer to get started. Yes they can be a bit more difficult to learn on, but most springun shooters can shoot a pcp with ease, but most pcp shooters cant shoot a springer well! The HW line of rifles as well as RWS would be a good place to start. Any repair parts needed are easy to find, but not so with gamo and other odd brand rifles. Go with quality, you wont be sorry in the long run !!!

Put an R7 on lawaway and forget worry about quality.

Do you want an HW30 .177 for free?

I'm going all HW98 in all four calibers and I am mission only .22!

I'll send you my HW30 .177 for you and all around you to appreciate.

I have emails but the way it works here I'm 80 emails behind since I never knew I had mail.

Record for the HW30 .177 is for you if you want it.

I will send it.

Kindly,