Most overrated rifle...in your opinion?

Any rifle where the stock design makes using a rear bench bag impossible to use! The crazy rear stock designs started about 25yrs ago or so. I thought it was just a fad that would disappear when shooters started to realize their new rifles were tough to use off the bench, but those ridiculous stock designs still continue! Now they even have rear stocks with an undercut and a hook near the toe of the rear stock!

Not all things that are old, are wrong (yes, I'm an old conservative)! Stock designers need to look back at rifles built a few decades ago.
Amen, brother. One of my pet peeves as well.

Justin

Reactions: .20calguy
Feinwerkbau 124

The cheapest, flimsiest made high dollar gun with a $3 trigger you'll ever shoot. I'll never get the hype, and I have had a pile of them just to be sure.

The best thing I ever did to one was cut the barrel off and put it on my HW100.

I still have one that I've worked on that's a dedicated peep sight gun. They handle amazingly nice, but they don't shoot to match the handling.
Wow, I've been hyped on the 124's since the early Robert Beeman days, but have never seen one. I filled that void with an HW30.
How do like the HW100?

Last edited:
Feinwerkbau 124

The cheapest, flimsiest made high dollar gun with a $3 trigger you'll ever shoot. I'll never get the hype, and I have had a pile of them just to be sure.

The best thing I ever did to one was cut the barrel off and put it on my HW100.

I still have one that I've worked on that's a dedicated peep sight gun. They handle amazingly nice, but they don't shoot to match the handling.
I don't know if I would call them flimsy. Mine is all metal and wood and locks up solid. Very light, joy to cock and easy to handle. I agree the trigger does not match the the HWs but it is still pretty good. I got mine below 1.5 lbs and it is very predictable so with practice I can shoot is very accurate. Mine is 40 years old and was super tuned. Remember in the 70s -80s, Beeman listed the FWB 124 accuracy the best among all the high powered springers back then including the R1. Wischo and HW 35. The FWB barrel may have been the best back then. Mine shoots a little more accurate than my HW 35. However the HW 35 is better looking, better trigger and more rugged and so close in accuracy. There is a bit of hype on the gun but I think it is a childhood thing. The HW97. HW 77, TK 2000 and some others are probably better more accurate guns than a FWB 124. That is why we all need a big collection. :)

I don't know if I would call them flimsy. Mine is all metal and wood and locks up solid. Very light, joy to cock and easy to handle. I agree the trigger does not match the the HWs but it is still pretty good. I got mine below 1.5 lbs and it is very predictable so with practice I can shoot is very accurate. Mine is 40 years old and was super tuned. Remember in the 70s -80s, Beeman listed the FWB 124 accuracy the best among all the high powered springers back then including the R1. Wischo and HW 35. The FWB barrel may have been the best back then. Mine shoots a little more accurate than my HW 35. However the HW 35 is better looking, better trigger and more rugged and so close in accuracy. There is a bit of hype on the gun but I think it is a childhood thing. The HW97. HW 77, TK 2000 and some others are probably better more accurate guns than a FWB 124. That is why we all need a big collection. :)

People tend to rave about the gun through rose colored glasses, thinking back to a time when they couldn't afford one, or not much else was available. That doesn't exactly correlate with the quality or performance of anything.

The safety on the FWB is crude and vague. The trigger is made from stamped steel parts and shares a canted spring with the safety. Cheap.

The breech shim arrangement is a Belleville spring washer that reduces the bearing surface against the forks greatly compared to an HW. The early ones didn't even have a pivot shim on the opposite side. The pivot bolt has a habit of always working loose....These two things make chasing a POI a way of life for these guns.

The lightweight is great. They handle phenomenal. Until you try to shoot one. The overly heavy piston and 28mm bore, coupled with the light mass of the rifle itself, make for a rowdy shot cycle. That's totally ignoring the tight and often tapered compression tubes that these often seemed to have.

Every part on a HW is better built, except the barrel. The barrel on the FWBs is second to none. They are excellent, and every one I've owned has been. However, the best barrel in the world doesn't do any good if it won't point to the same place every time, and I've found the FWB 124 to struggle with this. As has Paul Watts, if you watched any of his YouTube videos on adding breech pivot washers to the FWB.

Weihrauch is still in the game of spring rifles. Feinwerkbau is not. Just a fun fact to consider.

Reactions: specie
The whole FX lineup. Overpriced for what you get. Its the hype and the advertising that sold so many. There is alot of air rifles out there with just as good as quality if not more and don't receive enough recognition or sales.

Amen. The original FX lineup was great for its time (5-10 years ago)...but for all the advancements made since then, they could have done a lot more improvement, while becoming more economical and accessible to the average air gunner. The premium you pay is for the brand, not for their quality, craftsmanship or innovation, but of course they are marketed as such.

How about they innovate their production to be more economical? EH? If Tesla can make their brand accessible to the average joe at a market median price, so can FX or the like.

The entire high-end 1500$+ airgun market is over-hyped imo. No airgun should cost more than 699$ (arbitrarily chosen) in today's market, the markups are insane. 1500$+ guns should come fully accessorized and scoped with premium glass, moderator ect.

Truth is that end of the market targets very specific individuals, generally retired with plenty of liquid cash they'd like to part with, and of course sponsored competitors..

For 2k~ I would expect a custom gun fully tailored to me, from butt stock to muzzle, not a production rifle that often has its parts sourced from China and assembled in house.

-Matt