Leshiy 2 explodes

After watching how these in the video ruptured, why were there pieces in the original photo that started all this? Did the op try to perform his own investigation and cut it open to see why it failed? That would make it seem like it was worse than what it was, to me anyway. I would still like the "story" of what actually happened to cause it to rupture in the first place.
Ed, could you please tell us what was told to you by the owner describing what happened?
Dave is here, he can tell you, He told that he just pumped it, shoulder it and it exploded.

Too many holidays Eduard. Your belly is giving your pants a pressure test. 😉🙂
I know, I know. I passed the surgery in January and couldn't train since that time, plus many trips. but I know that is just excuses and I just have to take myself in hands! Will be back to the normal shape, no doubt!

I think it's still being examined in the lab. Ed is just demonstrating what would normally happen when the tube fails.
I'm sure there are many possible reasons as to why the OP's tube exploded like it did. For all we know he filled up the reservoir with propane, lol.

That said, there have been cases where the regulator locks up and the plenum remains empty. Nothing happens. The gun simply won't fire.

That said, there have been cases where the regulator locks up and the plenum remains empty. Nothing happens. The gun simply won't fire.
But what would happen if it fails and all 4500psi slams into the 165psi already sitting in the plenum?
I would expect it to flex and possibly deform, maybe leading to a rupture as in his tests, but the original photo shows pieces. I just want to know what caused it to fragment.

But what would happen if it fails and all 4500psi slams into the 165psi already sitting in the plenum?
As far as I know the regulators in REPR work in the opposite way. Meaning that a broken regulator closes and not opens the plenum. Or at least that's what all the broken regs I've seen did. They lock closed.

As far as the plenum is concerned.... It's the same material so if it would lock open then gun would shoot hot and loud until you find out that the regulator is open and bleed and fix it. You can open a regulator too much so that it dumps all the air (I've did it on my gun once). Nothing happens except that the gun becomes loud.

After watching how these in the video ruptured, why were there pieces in the original photo that started all this? Did the op try to perform his own investigation and cut it open to see why it failed? That would make it seem like it was worse than what it was, to me anyway. I would still like the "story" of what actually happened to cause it to rupture in the first place.
Ed, could you please tell us what was told to you by the owner describing what happened?
You're seeing the difference in it letting go via hydraulic pressure vs air pressure. Like the testing, if he ran these tests with air pressure it would be more explosive.

Reactions: Dairyboy
You're seeing the difference in it letting go via hydraulic pressure vs air pressure. Like the testing, if he ran these tests with air pressure it would be more explosive.
True, but it still wouldn't break into a couple pieces with air, unless it failed at two spots at the same time.
I've seen oxygen tanks go boom and throw frag everywhere because of the extra help from the oxygen. Acetylene is even more exciting. I've also seen other tanks open up, but they didn't throw pieces off. Both steel and aluminum.
That's why I believe there was some user error involved and we haven't gotten the whole story. I could live with a little bit of material got through the pump and ignited. Or anything else that could have happened. I trust the design so when something like this happens without full disclosure, speculation flies, arguments start, fear sets in, etc. Thankfully these threads don't come up very often.

So at the end of the day the design is good either one or the other variant, cool.

Yeah the story that it exploded while shooting but no harm to the shooter because he was wearing heavy clothing sure smells fishy,......I don't care what you wearing, the tube that exploded is the actual cheek rest so I do not believe the story at all.

Ed, thank you for your reply. Just one last question, please.
What would happen if the regulator failed, dumping all of the pressure behind it in an instant into the pressurized chamber?
I'm still trying to wrap my head around his being in pieces, but your test shows a split.
Nothing will happen as the plenum was calculated as well as the other parts, ready to work with 300 bar, 450 testing, the destroying pressure about 1'000 bar. The speed with wich the air comes to the plenum no matter.

I would expect it to flex and possibly deform, maybe leading to a rupture as in his tests, but the original photo shows pieces. I just want to know what caused it to fragment.
The situation is quite strange I agree. Everything looks like it was exploded. The difference is that exploding is constant increasing of the pressure, which keeps going on increasing even when the shell is broken, that is how the fragments appeares. In our case while the shell cracks, the pressure immidiately starts to drop, that is why the exploding with fragments is not possible.

Yes, it would be more dangerous but not because of the possible explode with fragments but mostly due to the air increasing in volume, in comparison to water. Especially in the close volume (inside the car, for example).

Yes if Ed was using a compressible gas instead of a non-compressible fluid I can guarantee you nobody would be standing that close videoing it unless they wanted to win the Darwin award.
I think I need to make another video, the problem I cannot find the air pressure over 300 bar, but I will try to make another fun video about it :)

And we made some other test, just in case:

It's not going to "slam" as the air flow rate between the reservoir and the plenum will be limited by the tiny hole in the plastic regulator seal. Worst case, even if that seal totally disintegrates, the next bottleneck is the two small holes into and out of the regulator chamber. It will probably take a few seconds to equalize the pressure across both parts of the tube. Nothing violent.

Also, the part that exploded is the upper air reservoir tube, not the plenum.

Last edited:
Now Ive got no dog in the arena .. fighting, barking or otherwise. But I do wish to just speak my mind about the tests to rupture made.

If pressure vessel was filled with a liquid ( as is a typical test procedure ) at the point where the vessels material yields, it does so with little to NO outward expansion other that the stretch of material that was not rupturing somewhat memory springing back and that forces a bit more expansion at the rupture.
* Liquids abent of saturated gases dont compress & when compressed then released don't do much. Again expansion of the system relaxing yield some volume.

Gasses in a rupturing vessel are so much more violent !! as when the material yields it starts out as a high velocity skirt of air creating a cutting effect and because the pressure ( Being NOT a liquid ) keeps expanding it likely continues at peeling back the area of the rupture in a cycle of destruction.

Is this not correct ?

Reactions: CsakEn
Now Ive got no dog in the arena .. fighting, barking or otherwise. But I do wish to just speak my mind about the tests to rupture made.

If pressure vessel was filled with a liquid ( as is a typical test procedure ) at the point where the vessels material yields, it does so with little to NO outward expansion other that the stretch of material that was not rupturing somewhat memory springing back and that forces a bit more expansion at the rupture.
* Liquids abent of saturated gases dont compress & when compressed then released don't do much. Again expansion of the system relaxing yield some volume.

Gasses in a rupturing vessel are so much more violent !! as when the material yields it starts out as a high velocity skirt of air creating a cutting effect and because the pressure ( Being NOT a liquid ) keeps expanding it likely continues at peeling back the area of the rupture in a cycle of destruction.

Is this not correct ?
If you want liquid to simulate a gas explosion it would have been like 500x -900x more volume of it required from an unlimited supply. to be more realistic to create a shockwave a tidal wave lol. I agree the moment a fracture happened the pressure in the oil dropped to zero. Why? because of its limited/finite volume. With barely any supply behind it.

With a gas it would be still many many cylinder volumes worth of it pushing still from inside out.

oil is good to transfer pressure in a safe way but it is not a true 1:1 test for explosive decompression

maybe there was some volatile or oil mist in the cylinder then when more oxygen lol was added it ignited! I don’t think diesel needs more very high pressures in engines to make boom like that just by adding more gas. Springers diesel easily too. Compressors don’t last long also because of carbon bulildup they literally diesel in the head…maybe some fuel made it into the cylinder. That’s my opinion. I would void manufacturer warranties for anyone using dodgy compressors.

also possible that people used the wrong lube what has some hydrocarbons in it for o rings or Belleville disk stacks. I have seen regulators with literally Vaseline 😁😂 that was a different Eastern Europran manufacturer but still… maybe user sprayed WD40 to give more power or engine starting spray in the port anything volatile To give more fps. The sound effect must have been spectacular. i am sure Ed is using the correct lube during production no one has to lose any sleep over it.

Last edited:
I’m going to ask this question. Fellas, think hard before answering. What would be a source of heat to ignite oil in a pcp?

Also, how exactly would oil make it past not being ignited inside a cheap compressor, being that highest source of heat/compression takes place inside compressor? (There is a way but very unusual)

Just a thought exercise for all those thinking it could be oil (alone) that caused this. Remember, a drop in pressure (shooting) creates a cooling effect.

Dave

I’m going to ask this question. Fellas, think hard before answering. What would be a source of heat to ignite oil in a pcp?

Also, how exactly would oil make it past not being ignited inside a cheap compressor, being that highest source of heat/compression takes place inside compressor? (There is a way but very unusual)

Just a thought exercise for all those thinking it could be oil (alone) that caused this. Remember, a drop in pressure (shooting) creates a cooling effect.

Dave

kill-it-with-fire-fire.gif

Joke aside, one source of heat in a pcp is filling a reservoir too rapidly. Would it potentially ignite oil? Depends how fast you fill and the flash point of said oil I suppose?

Dave
It doesn't need heat, compression alone can ignite combustibles.