• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Is Open class suffering a slow death?

Some damn fine shooting done looking at those scores !!
Due to a bad forecast for Sunday we shot both Field and Woods course on the same day 120 shots. Made for a very long day of FT shooting but damn it was awesome! I do concur there was some very fine shooting at the match in all categories.

It you want to screw it up….just let some big sponsors in to get control. It would draw more “people”….but the shooters would leave. If they want to donate stuff without “owning” the event…that wouldn’t hurt.

Mike
Maybe like we do at Monday night trap . Competitors put a $ or few$ into a pot and split with the club as a prize , this is in addition to the fee club charge. This is on the local monthly practice . At my range the participation grew with the Prize as a draw so it might for open class . Surprising how little it takes to make a winner Brag and draw in more participants . One Monday we had 6 shooters and so the winner took home the prize ($3.00 ) and a big smile .

Last edited:
Due to a bad forecast for Sunday we shot both Field and Woods course on the same day 120 shots. Made for a very long day of FT shooting but damn it was awesome! I do concur there was some very fine shooting at the match in all categories.
That is a solid 7 to 8 hour day to do 120 shots .... add in a break for lunch a VERY long day indeed. Only the toughest of the tough rise to top of scores under such conditions.

And my i add ... WFTF and OPEN shot the highest scores. So NO I would say NOT, that open is dead in the east !!
Great job to all shooters ... You earned it big time !!!!

At the 2018 Crosman FT shoot, while competing in the Hunter PCP class, I tied with my brother for the highest scores overall at the event, regardless of class. I beat younger brother in a shootout.
I won a plaque and pride.
@dayjd If you reference the 2018 handbook you will find that Para. M of the GP Qualifying rules says that no awards or prizes are to be given out for match high score. As Airgunshooter noted, an award was given out for match high score. Yet the match was counted as a GP. I see nothing wrong with that, but it does point to the fact that as @thomasair said previously, "It you want to screw it up….just let some big sponsors in to get control"

I'm not being critical of Crosman. It was a wonderful event that I'd love to see come back. It does point to the probability that sponsors will probably change the game, and it may not be all bad.

Sorry for Hijacking the thread.

@dayjd If you reference the 2018 handbook you will find that Para. M of the GP Qualifying rules says that no awards or prizes are to be given out for match high score. As Airgunshooter noted, an award was given out for match high score. Yet the match was counted as a GP. I see nothing wrong with that, but it does point to the fact that as @thomasair said previously, "It you want to screw it up….just let some big sponsors in to get control"

Not sure when or where I supposedly made the above quote but I do not recall it. If I said it, it must of been in the past for I don't recollect it.

By the way Mr. K, are you Keith (Nobs) or are you Kdog? If you are the latter how did that Hunter Piston shoot go for you last weekend?

Would Love to hear what you thought of it?
Bill Day dba dayjd in memory of my son.

Last edited:

Not sure when or where I supposedly made the above quote but I do not recall it. If I said it, it must of been in the past for I don't recollect it.

By the way Mr. K, are you Keith (Nobs) or are you Kdog? If you are the latter how did that Hunter Piston shoot go for you last weekend?

Would Love to hear what you thought of it?
Bill Day dba dayjd in memory of my son.
Well the Hunter piston match went rather badly....I haven't been that miserable since i last shot a.springer 3 years ago at BR 120 and shot a first day score of 33 I believe. I actually shot a 36 with a Springer last weekend in some windy conditions...was absolutely horrible not knowing where your pellet hit because of recoil and not knowing how to adjust. That TX that was for sale was what I used...bone.stock...not tuned etc and it seemed rough. That being said I'll be shooting Hunter PCP the rest of the season hopeing to average about a 54-55.

So this past weekend at the Burning River 120 GP in Ohio Open class was well represented. Out of 43 total competitors 8 shot open class PCP and also talked to a few Hunter guys that wanted to make the switch to open next year.

View attachment 292746
Well, next year if my plan unfolds the way I hope it will I'll find out how good those Open shooters really are. Trust me on this, if I can make the transition I will give it my best and fully acknowledge how good the open Class really is. The only excuse I will have is that I should be in retirement but it was hard to give up a class that allowed us old dogs to still enjoy the game. (Hunter PCP USA)
Well the Hunter piston match went rather badly....I haven't been that miserable since i last shot a.springer 3 years ago at BR 120 and shot a first day score of 33 I believe. I actually shot a 36 with a Springer last weekend in some windy conditions...was absolutely horrible not knowing where your pellet hit because of recoil and not knowing how to adjust. That TX that was for sale was what I used...bone.stock...not tuned etc and it seemed rough. That being said I'll be shooting Hunter PCP the rest of the season hopeing to average about a 54-55.
Well, I'm not sure who I am responding to but it really doesn't matter. Good luck with your aspiration in the Hunter PCP class. Just someday if you are as successful as you hope you are and we are attending a match just tap me on the shoulder and introduce youself for I would like to shake your hand.
Bill Day

Well, next year if my plan unfolds the way I hope it will I'll find out how good those Open shooters really are. Trust me on this, if I can make the transition I will give it my best and fully acknowledge how good the open Class really is. The only excuse I will have is that I should be in retirement but it was hard to give up a class that allowed us old dogs to still enjoy the game. (Hunter PCP USA)

Well, I'm not sure who I am responding to but it really doesn't matter. Good luck with your aspiration in the Hunter PCP class. Just someday if you are as successful as you hope you are and we are attending a match just tap me on the shoulder and introduce youself for I would like to shake your hand.
Bill Day
Best of luck in Open next year....this is Keith Walters...we talked briefly at Burning River this weekend. I'm sure you will like the higher magnification in open class and getting up and down really isn't that bad.
Only reason I'm shooting Hunter PCP the next few matches is to try and win some gift cards for the OHIO Buckeye Series FT series.

Best of luck in Open next year....this is Keith Walters...we talked briefly at Burning River this weekend. I'm sure you will like the higher magnification in open class and getting up and down really isn't that bad.
Only reason I'm shooting Hunter PCP the next few matches is to try and win some gift cards for the OHIO Buckeye Series FT series.
Keith, I have no doubt you will do very well. Thanks for letting me know who you are;)