Is anyone else uncomfortable with this

Preliminary testing completed for ZANS Slug Assortment Box (.30) and ZANS .303 Slugs (51 and 61 grain) in 700mm Uragan 2 and Vulcan 3. Matching results for top grouping .30 slugs, in order, 59 grain, 54 grain and 49 grain. (45.5, 63 and 68 grain slugs didn't group well in either gun.) (All slugs fit OEM magazine except 68.) Loading force required was similar to 44.75 pellet. Matching results, as well, for .303 slugs, 61 grain best, 51 grain, not so much. Loading force required was half of AVS .3063 (61 grain.) No slug matched the accuracy of the AVS .3063 but .30 (54 and 59 grain) and .303 (61 grain) hold promise. WM
what velocity are you having luck with on the Zan 59 grains?

I machined a LW poly barrel for my Bantam Sniper .25 Cal. When I felt the need of effort to push the slugs inside the barrel, I made wider and deeper the entrance of the slug into the barrel.

Now the rifle makes the cocking and pushing of the slug smooth as butter and at the shot the rifle almost has no vibration. And shoots really accurate.

But not all of us would risk the original barrel of an Airgun Technology to make the entrance wider and deeper with a drill bit.. Notwithstanding is already confirmed that it worked pretty well on the one I machined.

Reactions: Bravo1956
what velocity are you having luck with on the Zan 59 grains?
Sorry, one negative of the slug assortment box is limited quantity, ran out before chronograph testing. In hindsight, should have divided 59s in thirds, one section per gun, last for chronograph. Clearly a top performer of the group, in both V3 and U2, I'll need to order a tin of 59s and 54s for further testing. Usually wait for sales, or bulk order, with ZANS because of high shipping costs. WM

I just ran out today while trying to get them to shoot under 1050 fps. I only had a quarter of a box to start with. Using the same settings that I use for Zan 56 gr pellets that shoot 845 fps, the slugs were going 1180 fps. I tried to lower the reg pressure and the hammer settings (a lot) but I couldn't get them to a usable velocity before I ran out.

So with proper sized slugs (lets say 1/1000 under what you get when you slug your barrel) it seems that the cocking lever becomes very difficult to seat the slug.

I noticed this with my new Vulcan 3 in 25 which slugged at .2545 so I ordered some NSA 33.6 gr in .254 and they require so much force to be applied when cocking I am concerned about the long term effects of continued use.

I had the same concern with my 25 Mav but never found any slugs more accurate than 34 gr pellets so are really never became an issue.

The V3 has a 700mm CZ non chocked barrel and I bought it specifically to shoot slugs, 1st time out with the slug inventory I had (non over .250) I was really impressed with how it shot the HN 34 and 36 gr, but the NSA 36.2 in .250 were amazing!

I watched this vid

He came up with about the same results of .2545 with the V3 barrel as I, they had great results with the AVS .2553 slugs which are even larger that the NSA .254 slugs I have, so I imagine that it is even more pressure required to chamber.

To you slug shooters out there, do you just get used to the increased cocking force? Has it caused any issues with the gun?
You are the second guy to complain about properly seating your slugs in the lands/grooves. Bro y'all petty AF. I'm guessing you don't own powder burners lol. Accuracy is most important. If you have to buy a new side lever so be it. But the tight seating of actual bore sized slugs are proven to outperform significantly. Sorry just silly to me but not my gun. Leave purse at home and use your muscles! I have shot 700 AVS .30063 and yes I notice that it is harder to seat but not breaking gun hard. At least you aren't like other guy that says dramatically that he had to use both feet to chamber lmao 🤣😂😅

Loading fo
Preliminary testing completed for ZANS Slug Assortment Box (.30) and ZANS .303 Slugs (51 and 61 grain) in 700mm Uragan 2 and Vulcan 3. Matching results for top grouping .30 slugs, in order, 59 grain, 54 grain and 49 grain. (45.5, 63 and 68 grain slugs didn't group well in either gun.) (All slugs fit OEM magazine except 68.) Loading force required was similar to 44.75 pellet. Matching results, as well, for .303 slugs, 61 grain best, 51 grain, not so much. Loading force required was half of AVS .3063 (61 grain.) No slug matched the accuracy of the AVS .3063 but .30 (54 and 59 grain) and .303 (61 grain) hold promise. WM
Loading force lmao. Dude precision is my goal and loading force means you are seating in the deep lands and grooves. What is up with you guys more worried about the seating pressure than accuracy. Your right I just don't get it I have tried zan .30 and other.30 in various weights. Wasted my money and should have trusted the data in my research. 30063 at 100 is by far the best. U guys are going for max precision I don't get it please respond. My mind is blown

I have done extensive slug testing with my V3, so many brands in the 29 to 42 gr and .250 to .254 size and I can tell you with complete confidence that the NSA .250 in 29 to 36 gr are by far the most accurate and consistent, also the HN 36 gr .250 really good.
I beleive many forum posters just echo what they have read regarding slugging a barrel and matching diameter to the outcome, without any 1st hand experience and testing. I am not sawing that there are not successful outcomes with the method, I am saying that is is not a given and each gun/barrel are different and there are no givens.
Also testing the .254's quickly leaded up my barell and required cleaning to return accuracy, I keep my barrel clean but do not want to have to clean every 30 shots.