Tuning inexpensive nice DIY CF moderator

Can you give me the dimensions of that baffle?I am wondering if it could be used in a hollow FX moderator tube. It also lookslike all the airguns it is for are claimed at 900 fps with lead pellets.
So it is about a 20 fpe structure, just like the OP said. Push that if you want but wear safety glasses and keep other people away from the shooting position until you know you have not built a tiny little bomb. You could improve the structural integrity a bit by epoxying everything into one piece with JB Weld or West System. If you read the thread, you will find the dimensions. He said 23 OD on the main part of the baffle except the crown which is 25. It should mate up fine in a 25x23 CF tube.

Use your brains here folks;

Remember these baffles are lightweight plastic and have plastic threads so you will not be able to put too much air through these or they will be damaged or destroyed. I am guessing 15 or 20fpe is probly near the limit. My gun is under 20fpe but I have only 50 or so shots through it so only time will tell.

EDIT;

I have a few hundred rounds though this at near 20fpe and it is holding up just fine. Accuracy is excellent with it on.
Good point here sir. I once made CF moderator with alu core but desided to save weight with thick plastic endcaps.. well fitting one into a full power build with massive pressure strike even at muzzle made endcaps split and explode. They were 5mm thick.. lucky threads were on alucore so only got cut under my eye from shrapnell.. no more plastic for my silencers.

Good point here sir. I once made CF moderator with alu core but desided to save weight with thick plastic endcaps.. well fitting one into a full power build with massive pressure strike even at muzzle made endcaps split and explode. They were 5mm thick.. lucky threads were on alucore so only got cut under my eye from shrapnell.. no more plastic for my silencers.
What air rifle were you shooting and what was the power level?

What air rifle were you shooting and what was the power level?
My Spa 22cal with 24" barrel and 110-115fpe at muzzle. I once calculated pressure at muzzle cant remember now how much it was but its significant. Even if ppl have mildly tuned pcp they should always consider what happens if poppet fails or tank dumps for some reason. You cant really have parts that cant take it.

Just to elaborate on Bio’s design, I went up a size in tubing and was able to wrap the baffles in felt. I added a fat o-ring at front and back and the whole thing slides in nicely with a pressure fit. I have tested up to pretty high power with no problems, but will use it at lower power and change it for a heavier aluminum 0db or donnyfl for high power. Thanks again Bio for the inspiration and starting point!
4D7FB637-3A75-446A-BA02-335D93618169.jpeg

I saw these while surfing airgun parts at Pyramyd Air a few weeks ago. Wasn’t sure of the size but, they were so cheap, I bought a couple anyway just in case they were usable.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/crosman-np214-001-trail-baffle?a=7784

Found out when they got here that they were the perfect size for the Carbon tube I already had which was 23mm ID and 25mm OD. The thread was the almost universal 1/2x20UNF.
But they needed a bit of modifying so the tube would fit correctly in the front.

So, I mickey moused it onto the mini-lathe with some tape and spacers and tried to turn it down a bit.

I ended up using my Dremel to do the job as the plastic was a bit hard and the way I had the thing installed in the lathe did not allow me to put much pressure on it.

Anyway took the Dremel and a hand file to it while it was spinning and got the job done.

Put an o-ring on the back, of the baffle, and the carbon tube slid on quite nicely.

Epoxied the front of the baffle to the carbon tube to keep things together.

Stuck it on the Impact I had just made the shroud for just to see what it would do.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/...h-another-mod-for-the-gen1-impact/?referrer=1

To my surprise it took an already basement friendly gun to mouse fart quiet. So, it really werqs very well on the low to medium powered .22 gun.

Then just for looks I slid a piece of the same CF I used on my shroud mod over the now epoxied together moderator. It ended up a tight interference fit so I had to hammer on. It turned out great and looks nice too.

I would expect an enterprising individual could grab a couple three of the baffles and some cheap CF tube from China.

I used twill wrapped as it is stronger, but it doesn’t need to be all that strong for this moderator usage so roll wrapped will be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Wrapped-Carbon-Glossy-Surface/dp/B00RX737R6/ref=sr_1_6

Those, like I used to be without a mini-lathe, wanting a couple/few inexpensive lower power moderators could cut the head off of a ½ x 20 bolt.

Screw the baffle to the cut off bolt.

Chuck it all up in a ½ inch drill.

Then spin it up and use a Dremel to take the bulk of the material off and touch it up with a file. Probly want to brace it a bit on the backside, while it is spinning, to be kind to your drill motor.

You need to turn down the area, on the front of baffle circled, to about what you see which is about half of what is there.

Push the baffle forward so it sticks out of the tube a bit.

Then epoxy the baffle, where you turned it down, on the front and epoxy inside the tube on the rear.

Push the two parts together and wipe off the excess.

I used JB weld cuz that is what I had on hand.

Finished product when combined with the shroud mod is mouse fart quiet.

Just remember these baffles are lightweight plastic and have plastic threads so you will not be able to put too much air through these or they will be damaged or destroyed. I am guessing 15 or 20fpe is probly near the limit. My gun is under 20fpe, at the moment, and I have only 50 or so shots through this thing so only time will tell how ot holds up.

just had many db is a mouse fart?