Impact probe screw failure & solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is still some uncertainty about this.
First, don not confuse the current issue with the old issue (setscrew getting loose, which can happen, no biggie, just a hassle)
Current issue, and a lot more serious is the complete failure of a primary safety function. This failure seems to come to life as you go up the power ladder.
The probe grub screw might be "fine" for anything under 40fpe, but when you step into the 100+ fpe range, the abuse on key safety components are raised a great deal.
At this stage "we" the public have no word from the manufactures or resellers as to what caused it, since it's relatively early yet.
If you had it fail (for arguments sake) on a smaller power caliber, such as 22 or even 25, being kicked in the face or chest by the probe on those power leves is a far cry from the .30 caliber. At that level serious harm can be inflicted to the operator or worse, bystanders.

"sharroff"7deuce,

Well. it looks they they know about the issue and have changed parts..

Jack,

Why did it take so long for GM to admit to the ignition switch issues? Fixing it costs dollars and opened them up to liability. Bean counters said 'take the risk'.
One issue is the shear size of the recall vs. the risk. For a small company like FX, a lawsuit after a serious incident where someone lost their sight, or hearing, or similar, would be in the million dollar range, peanuts for GM, major concern for FX.

Ps. I am not saying this have happened yet, and hope seriously it doesn't come to that. I like FX, I like Fredrik and his gang, so I hope they fix this pronto.

I also own a Warp by WAR and its rugged and over built but this conversation is about letting the public know they should check their set screw or stop shooting their impact AND to let FX a dam fine company in my opinion know theres a issue that needs addressed.I doubt this is much of and issue for the small bore impacts but I really dont know. I wish AOA would chime in.

The only thing AoA or FX can say at this point is a classic statement saying they are very concerned, are actively looking it to the situation and that as soon as they know something they'll do something. Their lawyers would lite their heads a fire if they did anything else. While it might seem like they should be saying like "stop using it!" or similar, its unlikely they will. But as thinking, careful and smart consumers... well if I owned one, I would be casing it till a solution was given that made sense.

Having done some engineering work in the past, like others on the forum, I/we know something's not right and its VERY likely that FX has issued a "all hands on deck" to find the exact problem (after all if you don't fix the root cause, you didn't fix squat) and a perm fix for it.

Let's all just take a deep breath and relax. Let them put in the 80 hour weeks figuring it out and fixing it. 

"7deuce"I just had AOA send me a new set screw because the old one was stripped out and bent. I guess I'm lucky. 

Wow...to me that photo looks like the smoking gun.... The set screw bent to the point where it shows the affect of force it is supposed to hold, but clearly not designed for it. It could have sheered off at any moment.

As a .22 FX Impact owner (and another .25 barrel kit on the way) I expect to hear from FX and/or their US importer AOA addressing this issue soon. Let me assure you that if airgunning would not be a relatively small niche hobby/industry with dedicated enthusiasts like ourselves such accidents would be treated at the level of the Consumer Product Safety Commission and a voluntary recall would be initiated by the company ASAP.

A similar event occurred in June of this year as posted in this thread which should have been a warning to FX and AOA. Apparently, based on one of the posts there is a new longer FX factory set-screw to (seemingly) address the issue(s) with the probe....without anyone being informed about it. If this is correct such behavior by a major manufacturer is questionable in my opinion and certainly makes me think twice as a customer about their commitment to my safety and to the quality of their products.

I fully expect FX as a responsible major airgun manufacturer to step up and address this issue before serious injury or worse happens. Anyone who experienced a bursting air hose at 2,000 psi -which is peanuts compared to this- knows that these concerns are not a hype. I also expect those members of the airgun community who are influential and have FX's ear to stand up and take on a leadership role to communicate this issue to FX. Let's not hide behind the fact that this hobby is off the radar when compared to major consumer products and airgunners are not prone to litigation. Basic common sense safety is what I am asking for from a company that is very well treated by enthusiastic hobbyists and now its their turn to do the responsible!

PS: Nueces, not my photo above...I only quoted and replied to a previous post.

"fe7565"As a .22 FX Impact owner (and another .25 barrel kit on the way) I expect to hear from FX and/or their US importer AOA addressing this issue soon. Let me assure you that if airgunning would not be a relatively small niche hobby/industry with dedicated enthusiasts like ourselves such accidents would be treated at the level of the Consumer Product Safety Commission and a voluntary recall would be initiated by the company ASAP.

A similar event occurred in June of this year as posted in this thread which should have been a warning to FX and AOA. Apparently, based on one of the posts there is a new longer FX factory set-screw to (seemingly) address the issue(s) with the probe....without anyone being informed about it. If this is correct such behavior by a major manufacturer is questionable in my opinion and certainly makes me think twice as a customer about their commitment to my safety and to the quality of their products.

I fully expect FX as a responsible major airgun manufacturer to step up and address this issue before serious injury or worse happens. Anyone of you who experienced a bustling air hose at 2,000 psi which is peanuts compared to this knows that these concerns are not a hype. I also expect those members of the airgun community who are influential and have FX's ear to stand up and take on a leadership role to communicate this issue to FX. Let's not hide behind the fact that this hobby is off the radar when compared to major consumer products and airgunners are not prone to litigations. Basic common sense safety is what I am asking for from a company that is very well treated by enthusiastic hobbyists and now its their turn to do the responsible!

That was well said and all that needs to be said in this old mans opinion....

"oldspook"
"inverted"they made me buy mine.

???
Their reviews were persuasive enough for me to think that Impact is a great rifle.
Oh, let's not forget Matt among those guys.

I do know they are payed to sing high prises to this things, I just don't know what was I thinking.

BTW, guy who bought it from me phoned me last night and he just loves it!
It seems that it's just not everyone's cup of tea.

Maybe MK II will be a bit better and much SAFER!

I just hope that FX will offfer a serious solution to every Impact owners.
I have try many many times to communicate with them and I never never had any answer from them.
Communication and public relations is not their cup of tea that is for sure.
I dont know what they smoke there LOL.
If someone can set up a petition to wake them up , maybe we can have just a sign of life from them and show us minimal respect.

GQ,

Fully agree on the lack of FX communications and lack of participation in this forum. I have no problem getting email to/from Daystate (I choose not to call due to cost) and get Martin or his wife at RAW at almost every call. Both those companies have excellent customer support pre and post sale. I'd give them 9 or 10 out of 10. FX gets a 1 for their 'Don't call us, go talk to your distributor' position and lack of participation on this and other forums where buyers of their products have significant issues that are directly related to FX's poor design, manufacturing, and QA processes.

GQ,

FX has yet to provide folks that purchased their Impact any post sale fix for any of the existing issues. AoA is the only route to get things fixed, and so far they or their dealers have never reached out to customer to let them know there are issues and fixes available. EDIT BY SHARROFF: AOA and dealers are going to send out screws!!  Without a forum like this, we'd all be in the dark. If you call AoA today, I bet they would mail you the new screw that they sent 7deuce at no cost. The fix really doesn't require taking the rifle apart and is just using a part that is designed to be assembled and disassembled by the owner. If I still had my Impact, I would head to my local hardware store and get a hardened machine screw (solid) with a straight or phillips tip and loc tite blue it in place if I had one barrel or purple if I planned to swap probes / barrels. That is as good of a fix as there will be short of a wholesale redesign of pellet prove assembly which isn't going to happen. The next level between a new screw and a redesign would be AoA (or a machinist at your cost) tapping the probe and block for a second screw

No reason to punish yourself (lack of use of the product) while you wait for FX to say "Our web site says contact your dealer for any support questions".

Status
Not open for further replies.