HW90 potential

If you cut off some small pieces of pellet and stuff them down the set screw holes, that will protect the barrel from being marred when the screws are tightened.;)
Dang, that's a brilliant idea. And the lead probably grabs the barrel better than the cup ends on the set screws. Thanks for that tip!

Last edited:
My hw90 issues are resolved.
I recently received it back from AoA for a broken stock weld on the cylinder. AoA replaced the cylinder under warranty. A shout out to AoA for great customer service. They set the pressure at 20 bar.
Six shots at 20 yards. Squirrels beware. 😁
20230203_160336.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of numbers are you guys getting at 20 BAR? I’m getting 780 fps 19.3 fpe at 20 bar. Crossman 14.3 22cal.
That sounds about right for the stock seal. Is that with the stock seal? I ran a series when I first got my gun and got about the same results. Max power was around 20 bar. Any higher and the power dropped.

Adding a Vortek seal raised power about 10%. At 20 bar It now gets around 22.5 fpe, (+2 fpe).

There are two advantages of the Vortek seal. First, it lets you push the gun to much higher power levels (if you can stand the cocking effort and noise). Second, you can get the same power as stock, but at a lower bar level, which will drop cocking effort a little. For example, it takes about 18 bar with Vortek to get the same power as 20 bar stock. I'm not sure it's worth swapping out the seal just for that. But that's the fun of the HW90.

Reactions: Frogy
That sounds about right for the stock seal. Is that with the stock seal? I ran a series when I first got my gun and got about the same results. Max power was around 20 bar. Any higher and the power dropped.

Adding a Vortek seal raised power about 10%. At 20 bar It now gets around 22.5 fpe, (+2 fpe).

There are two advantages of the Vortek seal. First, it lets you push the gun to much higher power levels (if you can stand the cocking effort and noise). Second, you can get the same power as stock, but at a lower bar level, which will drop cocking effort a little. For example, it takes about 18 bar with Vortek to get the same power as 20 bar stock. I'm not sure it's worth swapping out the seal just for that. But that's the fun of the HW90.
The vortek has advantages! But with my HW90 .22 + JSB Exact Jumbo 15.9gr , with 14.20 bar I get 20.78 FPE. it's strange isn't it ? The energy seems high to me compared for this pressure no?

It's strange with my HW90 .177 + JSB Exact Heavy 10.34gr, at 20 bar I get 935 Fps and 20 FPE (with the Weihrauch manometer )
Do you have the Weihrauch manometer? or is it another manometer?
My measurements are from AoA after they recently did a warranty repair and test before shipping back to me. FYI, my gun has no modifications.

The vortek has advantages! But with my HW90 .22 + JSB Exact Jumbo 15.9gr , with 14.20 bar I get 20.78 FPE. it's strange isn't it ? The energy seems high to me compared for this pressure no?
Hi, it looks like you're blessed with two HW90's, .22 and .177. Do the both have Vortek seals?

Yes, your .22 reading is definitely high! (20.78 FPE @ 14.2 bar). At 14 bar my .22 HW90 delivers only 15.5 fpe with a 14.3 grain Crosman .22.

Your .177 reading is more in line with expectations. (20 FPE @ 20 bar). That's just a couple of FPE less than my .22 at the same bar (22 FPE @ 20 bar). That's normal, a .177 tends to have slighly lower FPS than a .22. That's a fair trade for the higher velocity!

Since just one of your readings seems odd, I would suspect it was a misreading.

When I first started tuning my HW90 I was curious about the accuracy of the Weihrauch gauge. I bought a generic gauge from Amazon to test it against. (Weihrauch on the left). I tested by pumping the ram to 20 bar, then switching the gauges. They read within one bar of each other.

Note that the Weihrauch gauge has two bar per each division mark. General practice for analog gauges is to round the pointer value to the closest mark, i.e., 10, 12, 14, bar etc. However, you can interpolate between divisions, just don't go smaller than 1/2 of a division. The Weihrauch is MUCH easier to read.

P1050794-cropped.jpg

Last edited:
From what I have gathered so far, if the other seals you are using are the parachute style then more power just increases the expansion of the skirt and at some point essentially no additional velocity is achieved. The Vac seal benefits in two ways, first it has no parachute skirt and secondly it is self lubricating. They are often the best seal for med to high power springers. The parachute seals really shine with getting the most from lower power guns and/or those with imperfect compression tubes.
Agree Lewis! Since the seal is self lubricating it's still possible that burning lube is adding
velocity. Best way to know that lube is burning is by blowing through the breech after every
shot ! The amount of smoke dictates the amount of lube burning. Even without full blown
dieseling this mild burning will add velocity!

Hi, it looks like you're blessed with two HW90's, .22 and .177. Do the both have Vortek seals?

Yes, your .22 reading is definitely high! (20.78 FPE @ 14.2 bar). At 14 bar my .22 HW90 delivers only 15.5 fpe with a 14.3 grain Crosman .22.

Your .177 reading is more in line with expectations. (20 FPE @ 20 bar). That's just a couple of FPE less than my .22 at the same bar (22 FPE @ 20 bar). That's normal, a .177 tends to have slighly lower FPS than a .22. That's a fair trade for the higher velocity!

Since just one of your readings seems odd, I would suspect it was a misreading.

When I first started tuning my HW90 I was curious about the accuracy of the Weihrauch gauge. I bought a generic gauge from Amazon to test it against. (Weihrauch on the left). I tested by pumping the ram to 20 bar, then switching the gauges. They read within one bar of each other.

Note that the Weihrauch gauge has two bar per each division mark. General practice for analog gauges is to round the pointer value to the closest mark, i.e., 10, 12, 14, bar etc. However, you can interpolate between divisions, just don't go smaller than 1/2 of a division. The Weihrauch is MUCH easier to read.

View attachment 333737

Yes I have a HW90 .177 (next gen 2020-2021) with engravings on the handguard and a HW90 .22 (old gen 2018 or before) without engravings on the handguard.
The 2 HW90 have the factory seal.

For my HW90 .177 I think like you that my results of 20 bar are exact, because a friend has a HW90 .177 and he finds the same results in bar as my HW90 .177.

For the pressure results with my HW90 .22 you are right, I have 19 bar and 20.8 FPE with JSB Exact Jumbo 15.9 gr. I didn't press hard enough on the pressure gauge the first time so the pressure was not good Ahah
I am reassured my manometer works well

Screenshot_20230220-174507_Gallery.jpg

20230220_154639.jpg

Last edited: