Hunting African BIG game! Really?

Shooting an animal trapped in an enclosure, no matter the size, is not hunting and should never be confused with actual hunting.
I hunt and when I do, taking an animal may or may not happen but it does not reduce the satisfaction of having hunted. Canned hunts are for people who want to kill rather than participate fully in the process of humanely harvesting a wild animal.
I realize there is a contingent of people who see no issue with canned hunts but for me they are a disgusting perversion of sport hunting.
Agreed. Hunting in an open environment at least gives the animals a chance. Trapping them to simply kill them for sport is not what any respectable hunter would do.

I passed over the original post and read the reply posts.....it sounds like all the ethical and general principles of hunting have been exceeded or abused

that said
I am going to Texas to hunt and stalk, a buddy lives there and has access....
I want to walk around and hunt stuff! ;)

A hunting license allows you to go after exotic animals

" Includes, but is not limited to: feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar. Exotic fowl refers to any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.)

There are no state bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic animals or fowl on private property.
Therefore, they may be taken by any means or methods at any time of year, however a hunting license and landowner permission are required to hunt them."
:cool: Cool huh?

I finally just watched the video,....what a joke !!!

My favorite line " he came in and never saw us " .....no $#it !!!! sitting in a building that is there permanently, no kidding he didn't see you.

Great hunt, fly in, get taken to a permanent blind and shoot a farm animal ........it would be much better if they never made videos like this, but it also tells you what the general public out there likes to watch.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
I couldn't agree with the title any more. Hunting African Big game! Really? Killing a African animal, in a fenced enclosure, in Texas, in a stand built just for that? Calling it big game hunting is like stocking a pool in the backyard with ocean fish and calling it deep sea fishing. There is no hunting or any real skill involved, all you need is money to pay for the privilege of shooting the animal and brag about what you killed...sad.
Where does it say these animals were in an enclosur? Where I grew up in Texas we had free range black buck for awhile. I know people who have shot free range elk in Texas. One guy I knew had free range zebra for awhile. Another guy I know has access to two separate locations in Texas with black buck, elk, axis, and possibly a few other species, that are all free range. Even if it's a high fence, there are some huge high fence places that are significantly more difficult to hunt than most public land I've been on, due to the lack of human activity. When an animal has seen very few humans they tend to be more skittish than an animal who sees hikers multiple times a day. If you want to be all stuck about about how other people hunt than let me join in. Anything other than killing dangerous game with a knife and a dog isn't real hunting. If you aren't going in and putting hands on a live animal that can kill you you aren't a real hunter. Using a highly engineered gun mounted with a high power scope, dialed in over high tech equipment instead of by feel, isn't what a real hunter does. See? Or you know we can all just do our own thing and quit going after other hunters for how they choose to operate. Seems like there's an old saying along the lines of "no matter how tough you are there's always someone tougher." Maybe your a purist compared to this guy. Compared to the guys I know that hunt with atlatls or hand crafted bows with hand knapped arrowheads on handmade arrows, your a chump. Does that mean when you are hunting your not really hunting? Or does it mean you just do things differently to take your food home from the woods?

I surprised they are still pushing the Hammer. It doesn't seem that many made have been accurate or didn't come from the factory with multiple flaws. I love big bores but I think the hammer is a dead horse regular or carbine..
Agreed, looked amazing when it was first announced but couldn't compete when released. To many issues, and Airforce had the Texan.

About 15 years ago at my cousin's ranch, a black bear climb the ladder of a water steel tank and got trapped inside, being unable to get out.

Fortunately my son and my nephew found the bear still alive. They just have at hand a Sumatra air rifle in .22 Cal and bow and arrow with broadheads.

My nephew decided that if he had to kill the bear it would be with the Sumatra with a shot at 4 yards to the brain.

My nephew and my son found the way to move the ladder inside the steel tank and went away for a couple of hours.

When they came back to the steel water tank, the bear was gone.

On that context my nephew could had wrote a thread in this forum called:

"The adventure and challenge of big bear hunt with a Sumatra .22 Cal air rifle".
My memories were wrong.

The water tank was not made of steel.

My son found the picture of that moment.

Here I share it:

EE8FE8FD-DE06-48F6-AAD7-1567A1C89149.jpeg

Well by that definition, then you wouldn't be able to hunt at all as all animals on earth are trapped in an enclosure of the earth and gravity. Everyone has different methods of hunting and if the animal is being eaten, who cares. When you get old and aren't capable of even walking long distance, would you still like to hunt or would you consider it a discusting perversion that you still have the desire to hunt but are incapable of hunting in the same manner as a youngster? The world is full of people who think everyone has to do things their way. If you like more of challenge then have at it. I'm sure some of the tribes who hunt in Africa by chasing their pray on foot until it collapses by exhaustion, then spearing it, would think your method of hunting is not hunting, and just killing and a disgusting perversion of the sport of hunting. You may hunt because you like the challenge, you may hunt because you like to be in nature. You may hunt because you like to kill, you may hunt purely for food and not even like hunting. It all ends with the same thing, a dead animal and meat and if your using the animal, then it really doesn't matter why you wanted to hunt. The animal dies the same. It's adrenaline surges, the pain is probably not as bad as you would think, and it gets dizzy, drunk feeling, then falls asleep. We need less snobs in the hunting world and they come on both sides, from the uber ritch, "I'm better than you" hunters, to the the environmentalist uber controlling "I'm better than you" hunters.
Shooting an animal trapped in an enclosure, no matter the size, is not hunting and should never be confused with actual hunting.
I hunt and when I do, taking an animal may or may not happen but it does not reduce the satisfaction of having hunted. Canned hunts are for people who want to kill rather than participate fully in the process of humanely harvesting a wild animal.
I realize there is a contingent of people who see no issue with canned hunts but for me they are a disgusting perversion of sport hunting.

Reactions: trent.sears
Anyone but me notice that the people replying in favor of this type of hunting have improper grammar and giant run on sentences? Just one big paragraph, like they are younger and weren't taught properly.

Yeah, those are the people most of us have a problem with. I see the same grammar and punctuation problems all of the social media platforms because they're too worried about views and feels and not reading and writing and self respect.

Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66
Anyone but me notice that the people replying in favor of this type of hunting have improper grammar and giant run on sentences? Just one big paragraph, like they are younger and weren't taught properly.

Yeah, those are the people most of us have a problem with. I see the same grammar and punctuation problems all of the social media platforms because they're too worried about views and feels and not reading and writing and self respect.
Lol. Your argument is "they don't use English class level writing and they are probably younger so I can just dismiss them."? FYI it's usually a good idea to proof read your post if you are going to get on a high horse about grammer and punctuation, there are multiple punctuation mistakes, and typos. Personally I don't care as you communicated your point well enough, but you should at least hold yourself to the same standards you hold others to. Maybe that's just something us grown men believe in though, you youngsters seem to like doing things according to "a new normal". I'm assuming you are young because your post reads like you "weren't taught properly."

Keep on with the hypocritical gatekeeping if you want though. I just want you to realize that a lot of us can see right through it. Once you get a little age on you, you hopefully will come to realize that your crap stinks too, and none your anatomy will get any bigger just because you do something "better" than someone else.

Lol. Your argument is "they don't use English class level writing and they are probably younger so I can just dismiss them."? FYI it's usually a good idea to proof read your post if you are going to get on a high horse about grammer and punctuation, there are multiple punctuation mistakes, and typos. Personally I don't care as you communicated your point well enough, but you should at least hold yourself to the same standards you hold others to. Maybe that's just something us grown men believe in though, you youngsters seem to like doing things according to "a new normal". I'm assuming you are young because your post reads like you "weren't taught properly."

Keep on with the hypocritical gatekeeping if you want though. I just want you to realize that a lot of us can see right through it. Once you get a little age on you, you hopefully will come to realize that your crap stinks too, and none your anatomy will get any bigger just because you do something "better" than someone else.
Yes yes, you are so right and enlightened. Shame on me... btw, IDGAF what anyone thinks about me lol.

My point being with yours and another ramble is most of us on here are FOR ethical hunting. You want us to use a friggin spear or a knife and hunt with our hands? Go right ahead and go tackle a turkey or a deer and see what happens. Please film it for us too, im sure they'd love to play it at your funeral.

I don't find it ethical to kill an animal in a caged setting or with improper equipment. I've seen too many people wound their game because they don't know how to shoot, and they makes us all look bad. Kind of like the "turkey hunters" in California using low powered airguns since they allowed it.

Now they have issues with wounded and infected turkeys needing to be culled because they are exposing raptors to lead poisoning.

FWIW, I was mostly replying to the other person who was calling people chumps and talking about hunting with a knife. Sounds awfully childish to me. We get that from time to time on here and most of us can sniff them out pretty quickly.

When I first started on this forum I thought some members were rude, and then I kind of became that way myself to a degree. Why? Because we get tired of the same questions over and over and then nonsense posts like the one I'm currently typing and responding too.

Take care sonny!

" To Hunt " has a specific meaning,

In the video in question the "wannabe hunter" was taken to a permanent structure that obviously animal are used to and most likely fed in the area to increase traffic, then he shot the animal and he definitely did not HUNT it.

if that is what some like to do that is fine,...but to make such a production of it is pretty sad

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
" To Hunt " has a specific meaning,

In the video in question the "wannabe hunter" was taken to a permanent structure that obviously animal are used to and most likely fed in the area to increase traffic, then he shot the animal and he definitely did not HUNT it.

if that is what some like to do that is fine,...but to make such a production of it is pretty sad
Some people want that 15 mins of fame. Even if it is lame fame. Pun intended

Yes yes, you are so right and enlightened. Shame on me... btw, IDGAF what anyone thinks about me lol.

My point being with yours and another ramble is most of us on here are FOR ethical hunting. You want us to use a friggin spear or a knife and hunt with our hands? Go right ahead and go tackle a turkey or a deer and see what happens. Please film it for us too, im sure they'd love to play it at your funeral.

I don't find it ethical to kill an animal in a caged setting or with improper equipment. I've seen too many people wound their game because they don't know how to shoot, and they makes us all look bad. Kind of like the "turkey hunters" in California using low powered airguns since they allowed it.

Now they have issues with wounded and infected turkeys needing to be culled because they are exposing raptors to lead poisoning.

FWIW, I was mostly replying to the other person who was calling people chumps and talking about hunting with a knife. Sounds awfully childish to me. We get that from time to time on here and most of us can sniff them out pretty quickly.

When I first started on this forum I thought some members were rude, and then I kind of became that way myself to a degree. Why? Because we get tired of the same questions over and over and then nonsense posts like the one I'm currently typing and responding too.

Take care sonny!
The thing I like about people like you, is that y'all are entertaining. You throw your opinions out there like everyone else should just kneel to your wisdom and when you get called out for being a hypocrite you go all "btw, IDGAF what anyone thinks about me lol." Lol is right. You started judging others for their lacking in certain areas compared to you, I pointed out how lacking you are compared other "real" hunters. Then you go idgaf. Like I've said previously there's always someone better.

I'd love to hunt a deer with a lurcher and a knife, old school like, but unfortunately it's illegal here. I however do go after feral hogs that way and it's a lot of fun. It's way more "pure" than most other hunting styles, as the pig has a real chance of winning. I don't however have video as I'm usually by myself and worried about hunting and not getting footage to impress people with.

This doesn't appear to be a caged setting, so idk why you keep bringing it up. Even if it is it's no more unethical than farm raised meat which I'm betting you've consumed without any hesitation. In fact it is more ethical than most of the factory farmed meat people consume regularly in America. Your argument about proper tools is somewhat valid, but is again a little hypocritical since there are significantly better tools than an air rifle when it comes down to making an ethical kill. An air rifle leaves significantly less room for error than most powder burners. Obviously there are reasons for an air rifle, but just from the ethical kill perspective they are lacking.

I am that "other person". I do hunt with a dog and knife, I know people that hunt with hand made bows and arrows, I'm vaguely acquainted (internet forums) with atlatl hunters. This leads me to recognize the hypocrisy in your holier than thou post. You are getting judgy about people using modern tools (stand) to make hunting easier, while using highly engineered equipment to do the same. Compared to many, you are a chump, in the same way that compared to you this guy is a chump. Compared to the handmade bow and atlatl guys I'm a chump. Compared to cavemen those guys are chumps. Again there's always someone tougher. Personally I'm fine with you or anyone else hunting how you see fit. It doesn't affect me one bit. I will call you out if you start gatekeeping others when you are doing essentially the same thing. I personally figure hunters should stand together and support each other, regardless of our preferred methods.

The rude nonsense, from what I can see, was started by you. Someone made a post, that you could have ignored. Instead you decided to get hypocritically judgemental. I could have ignored your post, but I decided to call you out for the hypocrisy. Then you got all hypocritical again with your, "they don't write proper" nonsense. So again I chose to call you out. If you want people to leave you alone, then leave others alone. If you don't want to get called out don't start calling others out. You know the whole "don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house" thing.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat (hunt). You do it how you want, I'll do it how I want, others will do it how they want. At the end of the day we all hopefully will have full freezers and bellies which is what it's about.

The thing I like about people like you, is that y'all are entertaining. You throw your opinions out there like everyone else should just kneel to your wisdom and when you get called out for being a hypocrite you go all "btw, IDGAF what anyone thinks about me lol." Lol is right. You started judging others for their lacking in certain areas compared to you, I pointed out how lacking you are compared other "real" hunters. Then you go idgaf. Like I've said previously there's always someone better.

I'd love to hunt a deer with a lurcher and a knife, old school like, but unfortunately it's illegal here. I however do go after feral hogs that way and it's a lot of fun. It's way more "pure" than most other hunting styles, as the pig has a real chance of winning. I don't however have video as I'm usually by myself and worried about hunting and not getting footage to impress people with.

This doesn't appear to be a caged setting, so idk why you keep bringing it up. Even if it is it's no more unethical than farm raised meat which I'm betting you've consumed without any hesitation. In fact it is more ethical than most of the factory farmed meat people consume regularly in America. Your argument about proper tools is somewhat valid, but is again a little hypocritical since there are significantly better tools than an air rifle when it comes down to making an ethical kill. An air rifle leaves significantly less room for error than most powder burners. Obviously there are reasons for an air rifle, but just from the ethical kill perspective they are lacking.

I am that "other person". I do hunt with a dog and knife, I know people that hunt with hand made bows and arrows, I'm vaguely acquainted (internet forums) with atlatl hunters. This leads me to recognize the hypocrisy in your holier than thou post. You are getting judgy about people using modern tools (stand) to make hunting easier, while using highly engineered equipment to do the same. Compared to many, you are a chump, in the same way that compared to you this guy is a chump. Compared to the handmade bow and atlatl guys I'm a chump. Compared to cavemen those guys are chumps. Again there's always someone tougher. Personally I'm fine with you or anyone else hunting how you see fit. It doesn't affect me one bit. I will call you out if you start gatekeeping others when you are doing essentially the same thing. I personally figure hunters should stand together and support each other, regardless of our preferred methods.

The rude nonsense, from what I can see, was started by you. Someone made a post, that you could have ignored. Instead you decided to get hypocritically judgemental. I could have ignored your post, but I decided to call you out for the hypocrisy. Then you got all hypocritical again with your, "they don't write proper" nonsense. So again I chose to call you out. If you want people to leave you alone, then leave others alone. If you don't want to get called out don't start calling others out. You know the whole "don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house" thing.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat (hunt). You do it how you want, I'll do it how I want, others will do it how they want. At the end of the day we all hopefully will have full freezers and bellies which is what it's about.
You're right, I've been in a rather antagonistic mood today so I'll be a better man and admit that. I usually do ignore the silly stuff but I woke up with the chip on the shoulder and hadn't had the coffee or morning poop yet. No excuse though, I apologize for being a D I C K. Take care, and be safe with wrestling those hogs. They don't hear you when you say uncle.

Reactions: trent.sears