Hunting African BIG game! Really?

You're right, I've been in a rather antagonistic mood today so I'll be a better man and admit that. I usually do ignore the silly stuff but I woke up with the chip on the shoulder and hadn't had the coffee or morning poop yet. No excuse though, I apologize for being a D I C K. Take care, and be safe with wrestling those hogs. They don't hear you when you say uncle.
No worries man, as I'm sure you can tell I can be plenty confrontational myself. I'm sure I didn't communicate my points as clearly or as diplomatically as I could have. Hopefully your day gets better. Good luck and good hunting.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
I couldn't agree with the title any more. Hunting African Big game! Really? Killing a African animal, in a fenced enclosure, in Texas, in a stand built just for that? Calling it big game hunting is like stocking a pool in the backyard with ocean fish and calling it deep sea fishing. There is no hunting or any real skill involved, all you need is money to pay for the privilege of shooting the animal and brag about what you killed...sad.
We had a hunt scheduled in Africa a couple years ago. Signed up for the hunt unexpectedly. But upon further investigation we found out they are all high fence operations over there also. As animals are harvested new ones are purchased from breeders to restock. Needless to say we didn’t end up going over there and forfeited our deposits.

Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66
Key word is "Hunting"

if the video was titled " slaying" and the host didn't try make it sound like he was actually hunting but just testing the capability of the gun I would be just fine with it.

Aslo someone mentioned about Hog hunting with dogs as a more pure hunting scenario, well that is very common here I have plenty friends that do it but I do not consider it hunting since the dogs do all the hunting, corner and tire the animal then have it pegged by ears , tail and legs so the human can come in and stab it,.....Killing, not really hunting sorry.

Key word is "Hunting"

if the video was titled " slaying" and the host didn't try make it sound like he was actually hunting but just testing the capability of the gun I would be just fine with it.

Aslo someone mentioned about Hog hunting with dogs as a more pure hunting scenario, well that is very common here I have plenty friends that do it but I do not consider it hunting since the dogs do all the hunting, corner and tire the animal then have it pegged by ears , tail and legs so the human can come in and stab it,.....Killing, not really hunting sorry.
For what it's worth I don't have any particular love for high fenced places and have no desire to hunt on one. I just don't see this as much different than shooting squirrels off of bird feeders, or taking a long range shot on an animal that has zero clue the hunter is there, a 1/2 mile or more away. It's still more ethical than the factory farmed meat a lot of us eat regularly. The shot seemed questionable in this particular video, but that is a different ethics discussion.

As far as hunting pigs with dogs, it all depends on how you do it. I have a lurcher and a bulldog and usually hunt by myself. That means I've got 130ish pounds of dog on 120-200+ pounds of hog often. I've hunted with another guy that runs "one out" type dogs so it usually is one dog and maybe a young dog on the pig. So a 75 pound dog against 130-200+ pounds of pig. In situations like this the hunter does plenty. It's also up to the hunter to put the dogs on pigs so there is skill there. Its quit a bit different than cur or hound hunters often times operate. It's still more "pure" in that the pig has a pretty fair chance of winning. I've yet to find a pig that can out run any powder burner I've used. If you made a scale of the odds of game winning against different hunting methods, dogs probably come out a lot more even than most other types of hunting. For what it's worth I threw that out there as an example of how someone like me could be judgy of others style, not that I actually think I'm some bad A. I was actually arguing against hunters going after each other for our preferred mathods.

Personally I'd say anyone that's not crafting their own hunting tool and getting in at close range, can't really be too judgy about how others do it. The handmade bow guys or atlatl guys are on a different level than most of us. However anything you do to make killing less efficient, comes with another set of ethical questions about getting a clean kill. At the end of the day it is, or should be, about putting meat in the freezer or eradicating invasives or something similar. If it's about meat then to me it doesn't really matter how you do it as it's all more ethical than factory farming. No form of hunting comes with zero grey area because we are taking a life and causing at least some pain, if we aren't scrambling the brain with every shot. Obviously there is a line that goes below anything ethical like intentionally causing pain, or taking shots that exceed the ability of ones preferred tool.

Well I actually been making my own bows and arrows for over 2 decades and hunted hogs for a long time,
only transitioned to airguns becaise of the thick elefant grass here that even a dead hog that only runs 30 yards you might never find it,...why airguns ?
Because I go for the brain shot so they drop on the spot and also airgun hunting I treat like bowhunting, close quarters.

So yeah, I'm opinionated with those kind of fake hunts :LOL: :LOL:

Reactions: Mr303
Years ago I worked with a guy that hunted hog with a bowie knife. Big hogs.
He actually had pictures and a cell phone video of him ambushing a hog and killing it.
I couldn't believe it except for the video. He and a couple other guys did it at night. He was one tough hombre' needless to say.
So if you can get after it all primitive like, more power to ya! Huzzah!!