• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

How to collect the lead ?

I just got into airgunning, and I also bought two field targets (a rat and a squirrel).

When I shoot paper targets, the lead waste is no problem as I have a pellet trap that I am shooting into. But how do I collect the lead when shooting at these field targets ? When the pellet hits the target, it disintegrates completely and sprays little lead fragments or shrapnel in about a one meter radius around the target. I'd like to avoid being reprimanded by the Mrs as I am doing this in our backyard garden ;-)

Dig it up and put some ground cover sheeting down, cover with sand, then the lead can scooped up and, along with the other stuff the cats will leave, be screened from the sand. Or just lay some heavy plastic or a large rubber welcome mat down and the lead can be rolled up and dumped at your convenience.

You could also make some kind of funnel out of some heavy plastic sheet so the lead can be funneled into a container or a smaller area on the ground.

Good question. Steel targets basically provide a backstop that cause projectiles fired from big bores to explode making a mess with dust and fragments. I have this issue with steel traps. I’m considering clamping plywood on the front of mine to slow it down before hitting the steel. I sometimes use wood target holders and backstops and the pellets are much easier to retrieve intact even after expansion. This method leaves no visible dust. When pellets are stacked inside the same hole and fragment it isn’t the same as them hitting steel. I’ve read of people placing duct seal at the back of the trap and that has helped some folks but eventually that needs to come out and be replaced. Then there’s the issue of retrieving lead from the putty. Maybe you could build a wooden gallery or a wooden portable trap to place your targets in in order to catch the lead? I think surrounding the steel targets somehow would definitely help with lead collection. Which rifle and caliber are you shooting? 

Personally I’m open to suggestions for the portable steel trap type of set-up aside from “build your own and place rubber mulch or old clothes in it.” Maybe I could stuff old clothes or rags inside the steel trap. 🧐

20201119_164939.1616418603.jpg
20201119_164900.1616418657.jpg
20210222_180146.1616418716.jpg

I had a metal fabrication shop make 2 of these for me. 

They are strong enough to hold up to .30 caliber slugs.

There is some lead that still flies out. 

I am going to make a ¼ plywood front with a 10 inch hole to shoot through.

I think that would contain 99% of the lead.