• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hold-Over or Dial? …Scope Turret Labels - DYI

I just got a .30 Paradigm for pesting. Bought an Element Helix for it. All my pesting guns before this one are holdover. Last week I made a dope card and laminated it for the Paradigm from 10yds-50yds in 5 yard increments using turrets.
Rather than clicks I did it in minutes since counting clicks, in my opinion sucks. I have a very short attention span so I hope I remember to dial since I was using holdovers for years.

I have found that fiddling with turret adjustments while hunting does not work out very well. Many times I have had just seconds to get on a target and pull the trigger. Also when hunting certain critters like coyotes you don't want to be moving around adjusting stuff. A Christmas tree reticle on the scope solves the problem for me since I have 40 moa right on the reticle, I can compensate accurately for distances out to a couple hundred yards in 25 yard increments without making a turret adjustment. For punching paper, turret fiddling may work fine.
Hear you and agree, often there's no time to be fiddling.

There are other situations where there's lots of time to range the shot and adjust the turret.

The local lads have my permission to hunt squirrels in my oak bush. As a result the surviving squirrels are real spooky and you can't get within 40 yards of them. I've been shooting them at 50 to 70 yards... they have no idea that I'm there and I have lots of time to dial in the range.