Help with lathe

Im trying to teach myself to make my own guides but seem to have run into some issues. My cuts seem to start out well but as I get closer to the chuck I start to get "ribs" in the material. I'm a complete beginner so any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
20220921_051433.jpg

That's a bit overkill, The inserts have a nice enough corner radius on them, trying to dredge up my memory on them, been a few decades. I want to say about .016 to .032
I like overkill lol. You can swing a heavy hammer softly but you can't swing a soft hammer heavily!

My new tools, post, and live center showed up today. They seem to be doing a much cleaner job. The quick change tool post was worth every penny.

20220923_185242.jpg

I like overkill lol. You can swing a heavy hammer softly but you can't swing a soft hammer heavily!

My new tools, post, and live center showed up today. They seem to be doing a much cleaner job. The quick change tool post was worth every penny.

View attachment 292040
Ground Squirrels demand overkill, machining, not so much. There are days I wish I had a mill and a lathe, or even a decent drill press. If you are REALLY looking for a nice finish, use collets, reduces some of the vibration.

Im trying to teach myself to make my own guides but seem to have run into some issues. My cuts seem to start out well but as I get closer to the chuck I start to get "ribs" in the material. I'm a complete beginner so any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Those marks seem to be the same pitch as the lead screw, there is some sort of vibration being transferred from gearbox through the lead screw then to the saddle to the tool, check the gibs for play.

Bb

Last edited:
Reactions: Sqwirl57