Glad I live way out in the country

Hello everyone,

A big advantage of living way out in the country is that I have a lot of neighbors that have great big wood barns. All of theses barns have huge barn doors and I can ask very nicely if they mind if I come over and try to hit one of the doors 🙄 .

I shot a whole bunch of paper targets this morning and for whatever reason was way off the mark....could not shoot a barn door....so to speak :confused:. For the last couple of weeks I have been stacking one pellet right on top of another and scoring a lot of 10's. Today I wanted to give myself a high-five when I shot a 9 🤩.

Have any of you fellows ever had a day like that?

ThomasT
The rifle is definitely worn out. No other choice but to buy another one. Happens to me every few months.

Those look pretty good. I was having that kind of day earlier this week but finally worked it out. Some days are like that, nothing you do works like it should. My solution is to quit before I lose my temper, turn on a video and have a beer or three.

Rick H.
Hello otis1016,

I really like your suggestion and solution...especially the part about "or three" :) .

Have a great day,
ThomasT

Best Answer Ever Award goes to… Bout to go try to wear one out. Hope y’all are too.
Hello cjtamu,

Well the ole Crown is so ragged and wore out I decided to shoot my RAW HM1000X this morning and "try to wear it out".... 🙄

Shot my RAW HM1000x this morning at the 50-yard target. I had to move the target because a part of my fence was in the way of the view of the target. Instead of using the rifle mounted bipod on top of the benchrest like I normally do, in order to raise the rifle up higher I used the Bag Jack and a Caldwell rest. Ugly combination and a bit awkward to use but I was able to shoot a pretty good card anyway.

ThomasT

RAW July 31-2022.jpg
RAW 50-Yard 07-31-2022A.jpg

Last edited:
Hello cjtamu,

Well the ole Crown is so ragged and wore out I decided to shoot my RAW HM1000X this morning and "try to wear it out".... 🙄

Shot my RAW HM1000x this morning at the 50-yard target. I had to move the target because a part of my fence was in the way of the view of the target. Instead of using the rifle mounted bipod on top of the benchrest like I normally do, in order to raise the rifle up higher I used the Bag Jack and a Caldwell rest. Ugly combination and a bit awkward to use but I was able to shoot a pretty good card anyway.

ThomasT

View attachment 279736View attachment 279737
Sorry, Thomas, but I really doubt you'd ever wear that RAW out. They are built like a tank and very few parts to wear, unlike the ever popular Swedish rifles.

Reactions: ThomasT
Sorry, Thomas, but I really doubt you'd ever wear that RAW out. They are built like a tank and very few parts to wear, unlike the ever popular Swedish rifles.
Good morning Ross,

OK if you noticed I said "try" to wear it out. You are right about the build quality, it is one solid piece of equipment. Look at the last two shots on the target...I actually hit the upper wire on my fence and deflected the pellet :D. It is a Hog Wire fence and that top wire cannot be cut so I will have to figure out a way to maybe raise the target frame.

ThomasT

Good morning Ross,

OK if you noticed I said "try" to wear it out. You are right about the build quality, it is one solid piece of equipment. Look at the last two shots on the target...I actually hit the upper wire on my fence and deflected the pellet :D. It is a Hog Wire fence and that top wire cannot be cut so I will have to figure out a way to maybe raise the target frame.

ThomasT
Yeah, I do that sometimes with my wind flags. I try to hang them near targets so I can see them thru the viewfinder. I've been known to shoot the flag 🙄

• Haha
More great shooting Thomas. Tried to shoot a little this morning. Needed to zero new scope on Kim’s HW50S. Walked outside at 6:30. Guns started to sweat. Including the stocks ha ha. Got everything defogged and equilibrated with at least enough time to get hers dialed and put 10 rounds through mine before it got too hot. You know the routine. You’re making me want to break out my PCP gun, might have to do that this evening. After I set up my swamp cooler!

• Haha
More great shooting Thomas. Tried to shoot a little this morning. Needed to zero new scope on Kim’s HW50S. Walked outside at 6:30. Guns started to sweat. Including the stocks ha ha. Got everything defogged and equilibrated with at least enough time to get hers dialed and put 10 rounds through mine before it got too hot. You know the routine. You’re making me want to break out my PCP gun, might have to do that this evening. After I set up my swamp cooler!
Hello cjtamu,

Well you might be a little bit hotter than me where you are located and most likely more wind, but it is now 12:23pm and I am giving up for at least several hours. Not sure of the temperature, haven't looked, but after yesterdays nice rain, every drop is now back on it's way up......holly cow it is windy and HUMID.

However with all that said and maybe a small amount of crying on my part, the ole RAW is still cranking out 10's. I just put 8 shots in one slightly elongated hole before shutting down, man I hate to stop when having this much fun.

Have a great weekend and stay cool,
ThomasT

i cant shoot out of my basement door , unless @10 foot target. 10 feet away is a 70 foot cliff. maybe helium balloons and hanging targets drifting across the lake ??
Hello beerthief,

I only have just over one acre but mostly forest all around me so I am in good shape for target shooting out to 80-yards.

ThomasT

Well, Thomas you made me break out my PCP. I was shooting my HW95 at 25 yards so I got out my Maximathor and just went with that. One to get trigger feel which is very different than the Weihrauch. Two to get windage, 8-12 crosswind according to my weather station. Then the last 5 in the mag to see what it would do. Not as sophisticated as these fancy target rifles but it will get the job done. Especially if the job is to go out and bring things home from the woods which is really what it's for. Actually a great gun, I really should shoot it more. Thanks for making me break it out ha ha. Oh, that's one of the corner targets from a Redfield sighting target if you're familiar with those. Had it up from Kim's gun this morning.

Max_at_25_Sized.jpg

Max_at_25_Dime_Sized.jpg

The rifle is definitely worn out.
No other choice but to buy another one. Happens to me every few months.

King,

your analysis of the culprit of poor shooting is incisive and spot on.

And even more so, your solution to the problem at hand satisfies The 3 E's of Sound Financial Management: It is
Effective,
Efficient, and
Effordable.

I will be spending tomorrow night surfing the airgun stores for a new rifle that is not worn out like my others.
And I will be spending north of $1000, right in line with the aforementioned 3 E's.

Thank you, King! 😊

Matthias

PS: King, after your sound advice on how to deal with bad shooting results, would you also have some sound advice on how to convince my wife of the absolute necessity of tomorrow's rifle purchase....?

Well, Thomas you made me break out my PCP. I was shooting my HW95 at 25 yards so I got out my Maximathor and just went with that. One to get trigger feel which is very different than the Weihrauch. Two to get windage, 8-12 crosswind according to my weather station. Then the last 5 in the mag to see what it would do. Not as sophisticated as these fancy target rifles but it will get the job done. Especially if the job is to go out and bring things home from the woods which is really what it's for. Actually a great gun, I really should shoot it more. Thanks for making me break it out ha ha. Oh, that's one of the corner targets from a Redfield sighting target if you're familiar with those. Had it up from Kim's gun this morning.

View attachment 279944

View attachment 279945
Hello cjtamu

That is some good grouping and all you need is just to shoot more like that. Glad you got some of your guns out and shot them.

Have a great day,
ThomasT

PS: King, after your sound advice on how to deal with bad shooting results, would you also have some sound advice on how to convince my wife of the absolute necessity of tomorrow's rifle purchase....?

It's a slow process I've modeled after "hearts and minds" style campaigns. Start by emotionally separating her from an easy local target. Let's say it's chipmunks for illustration. "Hmm, did you notice that chipmunk eyeing you? Very suspicious." "I wonder what that chipmunk is planning." Then you just let that rest for a bit. Over a few weeks, subtly escalate. "Wow, did you see this article about plague? It's getting closer to our community."

The seeds will begin to germinate as you continue to escalate, her fears will begin to manifest in suspicion and eventually anger at the coming threat of the chipmunks.

Then you invite her to the range, where you have prepared targets that are kind of shaped like chipmunks, but nothing too obvious. She's going to have fun plinking and you will desensitize her to firing at chipmunk shaped objects. The lure of plinking will start to settle in in time.

By now she's starting to want her own rifles and the range trips have gone from detailed photo realistic chipmunk targets to actual chipmunks on the wood piles.

Then just suddenly stop the whole train. Your wife is now watching at every movement of a squirrel, chipmunk or rat. She sees no reaction from you but she just can't help herself, the instinct has been set.

One day she comes to you and says "Are you not seeing the looming threat of these rodent bastards? We must protect our homestead and I'm booking us a flight to Airguns of Arizona by way of Pyramid Air and a lunch trip to Georgia Airguns on the way home. Schedule a layover in Newark NJ so you can go to Alkin compressors. We simply must stop this threat to America!"

By now you have a few wall racks covered in rifles, one after another, just in case one should fail, you will be ready for the coming chipmunk unrest.

I may be overthinking this, but my wife sure hates those little chippie bastards :).

Oh I fit somewhere in there between Metric and Standard aka right arm/left arm. I normally shoot right but had to have that shoulder reassembled 2 years ago. Some days it lets me shoot, others it says nope.
Don't know what this "wife" term you all mention is, but I do have a girlfriend who enables me, has bought now 2 rifles for me and even spots for me...lol.

• Love