FX Panther no-hype review and tests

Hi, everybody! Let me introduce myself: Nikolay Boldov from Russia. Moscow, won Extreme Benchrest and American Field Target in 2019 (AZ, Extreme Benchrest) and 50 Yard Benchrest, One Gun Challenge in 2022 (AZ, Extreme Benchrest).

A few days ago, I’ve got my FX Panthera in .22 caliber. I consider this gun as a long range benchrest (150 yards) competition heavy slug (.22 40gr) shooter for my purposes.
My experience of slug shooting starts from 2017 when I began my experiments with 40gr slugs in .22 caliber, so I have a bit of experience in this topic.
I will try to describe my experiments, results, observations on this airgun in no-hype style with undoubtable (as much as possible) video proves here .
Technical details on FX Panthera can be found here: https://fxairguns.com/rifles/the-panthera/

Part 1. First acquaintance with Panthera out of the box

I will not describe Panthera’s appearance and it's main features here (yet) as you can find it in other youtuber’s videos. I will share my tests and results here.
View attachment 322090
View attachment 322091
View attachment 322092
View attachment 322093
Note: I’ve made a mistake saying that tungsten hummer is installed in my Panthera in my first post in social media about this gun. No tungsten hummers yet – just regular one, so this version is straight out of the box, no modification was made.

So, the very first thing I wanted to test is what speed and how many shots can this gun give me with it’s 300cc bottle and huge (156cc) plenum.

The result is 25 shots in 250-142 bar with 40gr slugs at the speed of 273 meters per second (896 fps). Average air consumption is 11,3 cubic centimeters of air per joule, that is a very good result as for me taking into account barrel length and projectile weight.

Here is the video prove and the table of calculations:

View attachment 322095

My first impression.

• I didn’t expect FX Panthera to be able to shoot those heavy slugs at that velocity (it should be rather accurate according to my experience) out of the box.
  • I really didn’t think that it would be possible to make 25 rather consistent shots from 300cc bottle
  • Really happy to have opportunity to shoot 40gr long (12,5mm / 0,5 inch) .22 slugs out of the box with usual magazine
  • I didn’t think that it would be possible to shoot those speeds with usual tube-like probe. I had to use pin probe for that needs in all my previous airguns.

Part 2. Know your gun power abilities​

The next step I’ve taken to get acquainted with my FX Panthera in a better way is knowing it’s power parameters. My thoughts were the following. Panthera has a huge power plenum of 156cc and it is not an easy task to take it all out during shooting (at least this comes out of my previous experience with this type of airguns). And my thoughts were that using MAX hammer spring tension is not a bad idea, because on high pressures I usually use, the hammer can barely harm the valve. So, there is nothing bad in setting the hammer to maximum power level (that is a bit above 4 micro wheel settings) and testing the gun on different regulator adjustments.

I’ve made my tests on 120 – 200 bar with the step of 10 bar and made 4 shots on each to get average velocity of that setting. I’m not sure if using regulator on the pressures above 170 bar is “legal” so don’t try to repeat. 😊

Here is the chart of results that I’ve got (just to remind – 40gr .2185 slug)

BarHammer setAverage velocity
FPS
Average velocity meters per second
120MAX827252
130MAX860262
140MAX892272
150MAX909277
160MAX938286
170MAX958292
180MAX975297
190MAX995303
200MAX1001305

You’ve got to take into account that the slugs I use are of rather big diameter - .2185 and of unusual shape – they are more like .22lr ammo. Usually slugs like H&N of the same weight gives +25-30 fps speed on the same settings (from my experience with FX Impact M3).

My intuition tells me that one of the most interesting setups for me (besides the one show in part one of that blog) will be the following:

175 bar reg pressure,

2,85 microwheel hammer settings

970 fps (294 meters per second) with my 40gr .2185 slugs

So, I decided to test that setup from 250 bar in the bottle and got 16 good shots. Here is the prove:

If everything goes fine, I plan to go outside and shoot at my shooting range tomorrow to at least 100 yards distance.

Part 3. Be wise with your hummer strike power

Past weekend was not the best to make accuracy tests outdoors, so I decided to have some tests and tuning indoors – in my workshop.

Is that a wise decision to use maximum hammer hit strike on lower reg pressures like 150 bar? Absolutely not. It will not increase the velocity of the projectile, but will raise your air consumption per shot to unreasonably high values. Here is what I’ve got during my test with reg pressure of 150 bar and 40gr .2185” slugs. 3 shots per every power settings were made and average result was put into the table.

Reg pressureMicro
adjustment
FPSMeters per second
150 bar1.25584178
150 bar1.5686209
150 bar1.75793242
150 bar2883269
150 bar2.25915279
150 bar2.5915279
150 bar2.75922281
150 bar3922281
150 bar3.25918280
150 bar3.5918280
150 bar3.75918280

So, as I got higher with micro wheel adjustment after 2.25 position, the sound of the shot became louder and the gun definitely vibrated much stronger every time. There is no need to go on higher hummer strike power – just the waste of air and destabilization of the projectile due to huge amount of useless air coming after it.

It is the simplest and obvious example of how it works. There is a curve of velocities going up, as we raise the hummer power from the lowest level, then you reach the maximum velocity and then stabilizing without any profits on velocity, but loss in air consumption. That is how it work with big plenums. Note: In case with low volume power plenum guns the curve will go down after the reached plateau of velocities if you will continue to increase hummer strike level.

I will not deny that there are some situations and reasons to go up to a bit higher hummer strike power after reaching the plateau, but it is the matter of very special purposes and should be done wisely with full knowledge of what you do and why.

Part 4. Brief review of FX Pantera and first try to shoot 40gr slugs to 100 yards​

Part 5. RECORD?!?!?​

Not much text this time - everything is in the video. 100 yards, .22 40gr slugs, 60 shots (6 groups by 10 shots) one by one without stop, single shutter made video as a prove - 0,97 MOA! It is not a hype - it is a fact. Amazed with FX Panthera stability, never met something like that before!
Hi mr RusBear

I also recently bought a fx panthera caliber .22 barrel 700mm. And my purpose of using it is only accurate shots from the table and at a distance of 300 meters in a friendly club. The ammunition available to me is 34 grain slug. Currently, the thing that confused me and I could not get to the best state is the most optimal setting of the hammer and regulator pressure for accurate shots at this distance without putting too much pressure on the gun and damaging the hammer. According to the previous shots with fx m3, I use .217 diameter slugs, but I don't know if you suggest .2185 diameter for panthera? Can you help me to achieve the best accuracy at a distance of 300 meters with a 34 grain slug? With what level of diameter and what level of regulator pressure and hammer settings? 🙏

... what level of diameter... 🙏
I think not all the liners are the same, also the slugs available, also the temperatures and humidity.
You shall slug your liner (push one slug in from breach end to half the length and push it back from the muzzle) and measure it. Whatever number you get give it a plus 5 micron or eventually in inches less then half a thousandth, and that shall be you starting point for diameter. And tune it from there for shortest dwell time.

Reactions: farzin_car20
The result is 25 shots in 250-142 bar with 40gr slugs at the speed of 273 meters per second (896 fps). Average air consumption is 11,3 cubic centimeters of air per joule, that is a very good result as for me taking into account barrel length and projectile weight.
Correct me someone if im not right but that air consumption is not correct. Based on my calculations (including the plenum air) the efficiency is around 22ml/J based on these informations and video.
@RusBear maybe that value wasnt meant for the shots at that power?

Hi mr RusBear

I also recently bought a fx panthera caliber .22 barrel 700mm. And my purpose of using it is only accurate shots from the table and at a distance of 300 meters in a friendly club. The ammunition available to me is 34 grain slug. Currently, the thing that confused me and I could not get to the best state is the most optimal setting of the hammer and regulator pressure for accurate shots at this distance without putting too much pressure on the gun and damaging the hammer. According to the previous shots with fx m3, I use .217 diameter slugs, but I don't know if you suggest .2185 diameter for panthera? Can you help me to achieve the best accuracy at a distance of 300 meters with a 34 grain slug? With what level of diameter and what level of regulator pressure and hammer settings? 🙏
Hi RusBear,

I got the new Panthera 700 on last September 2023 and after various test decided to use ZAN slug 40 grain .217.
Below you can find results of 3 groups of test done:

1) after final set-up with ZAN slugs (7th Oct. 23),

2)on Jan.24th, 24

3)on Feb. 3rd, 24 (7 tests).

In between October 2023 and February 2024 I shot about 1700 shots (only same type/size of ZAN slugs) and I've never cleaned the rifle barrel, but I don’t think this could be a problem.

All 1700 shots were done with same setting of October: P=175 bar, Micro=3.5 Macro = 22, (except few clicks less on Micro for all test done on Feb 3rd, 24).

Analyzing the below data regarding speed, STD Dev and Delta (Max speed -min speed), they have been getting worse.

What can I do to obtain again the expected good consistency value as obtained on October 7th,23? This expensive rifle is expected to be very consistent in performance.

Thank you very much for your help.

Final Setting on October 7th, 2023:
Pressure 175 bar, micro 3.5, Macro 22 Each test consist of 18 shots (1 Full magazine)

On below 7tests, the test conditions were the same mentioned above except REDUCING MICRO OF FEW CLICKS only
and the speed decreased a little bit accordingly:

07/10/23 24/01/24 Nr. 7 Tests done on 3/2/2024

1 test 1 test 1test 2test 3test 4test 5test 6test 7test
AVERAGE [m/sec] 301 291 283,4 288,6 285,8 285,8 282,9 283,6 286,6
STDev 2,5 4 4,4 4,3 4,5 2,2 2,6 3,5 3,1
(MaxSpeed-minSpeed) [m/sec] 3 8,5 13,7 19,0 15,1 9,1 7,2 13,4 11,9