First Time Sorting Pellets By Weight

I’ve been able to tame my MRD’s miraculously, lol. The two labeled fliers was me being over anxious. These groups at 50 are way way different than they were when I first started using them at the start of the year.
2A9E7BD8-E8A3-40FA-AB05-4841C7F65420.jpeg

Reactions: rsfrid
I’ve sorted by both head size and weight to .1g you will obtain at least 10 separate groups of pellets with the lowest and highest weights having multiple weights because who needs more containers for a few odd pellets. The odd pellets are plinking or chrony pellets. The main batches are well screened, consistent pellets that are as good as they can be.

Reactions: Bigragu
“ I've never taken the time to sort, but then, I don't compete, I MOSTLY hunt. The 16th or 32nd of an inch difference I MIGHT see if I sorted isn't worth the effort & I'm not that curious about it. It might be different if I were competing. That IS quite a spread.
Time is right. To accumulate enough of one group by weight, and then sort for head size and perhaps defects too is time consuming. I also don’t compete but credit the folks that do go to the trouble to try and find perfection.

I’m also curios how many dies per size that JSB (and other) use in production. Makes me wonder about the PB industry when they sell “MATCH” ammo what they actually do. Is it separate machinery, sorted components, different operators... ? Wondering, since FX specifies only one die for their run, do they have a clause in a contract that says JSB can’t market pellets that come from one die. Wonder how consistent FX pellets are, having come from one die.

isn’t shooting all about consistency and repetition? From the way the gun is handled, the breathing, sight picture, trigger squeeze, etc? Why wouldn’t one want consistent Ammo?

Then there the confidence thing. If in the back of your mind you can honestly tell yourself you’ve done everything you possibly could to make range day your best, there’s something to be said about that. When I drove home the long drive from RMAC this past year I knew I did everything I could except one very important thing- shoot more in windy conditions. I had no questioning thoughts on my ammo, my equipment, preparation, none whatsoever. It was my first competitive event, and I knew going in that class was in session, and the wind just “blew me away”, lol.

If you feel sorting Ammo will help your groupings, then do it. If not, you’ll always wonder and create doubt

I strongly believe that diameter is more critical than weight. I make muzzle loading projectiles for a 3-inch rifled cannon. They are rough cast from pure lead and I turn them on a lathe to 2.982" +/- 0.001" diameter. Yeah, if the diameter is smaller or larger than that minuscule tolerance, accuracy of the cannon noticeably degrades. OTOH the target weight for these big slugs is 2.700 KG +/- 50 grams or IOW almost +/-2% weight tolerance compared with =/-0.03% for diameter. The much larger weight variation has no noticeable effect on accuracy within that 2% range.

I know this is comparing blueberries to watermelons but I think the principal holds for airguns.

I have diameter sorted a tin of 0.177 7.0gr Crosman domed and 0.22 14.3gr Crosman domed via pelletgage. I intend to sub-sort each diameter group by weight and do a weight vs diameter test of my hypothesis.

Reactions: beerthief
Here's my sorting data from most of six tins of JSB 44.75s. The average weight was 44.75. This graph excludes a handful of even lighter and heavier pellets.

By doing several tins I was able to take the 5 biggest sort bins and make a tin for each of them, and the rest are separated and used for messing around.

As for the question of whether it matters, that's hard to say. I think I also need to be sorting for head size to really make this effort pay off.

View attachment 298017
The good news is your entire batch above is within 1% of median weight. Bad news is you're gonna burn trhough a LOT of air doing those tests. May want to sub-sort the most accurate weight by head diameter and see how much effect it has.

There is a proof on the forum which explains what is tested by rolling pellets using the YRRAH method. The thread linked below quantifies what the tests showed when tested. There is no doubt that rolling them sorts on three different criteria. That said, I am NOT LOOKING FOR A FIGHT. Just ignore this if you are getting pissed by seeing it.

There is a proof on the forum which explains what is tested by rolling pellets using the YRRAH method. The thread linked below quantifies what the tests showed when tested. There is no doubt that rolling them sorts on three different criteria. That said, I am NOT LOOKING FOR A FIGHT. Just ignore this if you are getting pissed by seeing it.
Never looking for a fight! I appreciate all feedback and replies! Now I’ll go read the pellet rolling post.

Reactions: tibor and OldSpook
Hello.
Weighing the pellets is a quick and easy test. Same weight equals same volume, but unfortunately not the same shape.
And this is the problem. A mechanical imbalance or an aerodynamic asymmetry can be present with the same weight.
Weighing only slightly improves the accuracy and flyers are still possible.

My test set-up / BR25 / Walther LP400 / 7.5Joule / JSB Express
IMG_20220918_101059 Kopie 1.jpg

My targets / Pellethead asymmetrical
IMGP354350 Kopie.jpg

My targets / Pellethead symmetrical
IMGP684328 Kopie 1.jpg

My pellets / head asymmetrical
20210820111704.gif

My pellets / head symmetrical
20210820112521.gif

;)NoLimits

Here is a 20fpe customer gun at 25m indoors from last week. 25 shot groups with pellets straight from the tin. Incidentally, these are NOT my best pellets. One group is with shrouded barrel, one is unshrouded. The partly visible ring on these N50 is .315”….same as the 25m target 9 ring.

Mike

A31586DF-6FB7-42F9-9DD2-AF38B1657586.jpeg
E0224244-B0BC-45BF-9994-2E708560ACF7.jpeg

Hello.
Weighing the pellets is a quick and easy test. Same weight equals same volume, but unfortunately not the same shape.
And this is the problem. A mechanical imbalance or an aerodynamic asymmetry can be present with the same weight.
Weighing only slightly improves the accuracy and flyers are still possible.

My test set-up / BR25 / Walther LP400 / 7.5Joule / JSB Express
View attachment 301756

My targets / Pellethead asymmetrical
View attachment 301758

My targets / Pellethead symmetrical
View attachment 301762

My pellets / head asymmetrical
View attachment 301764

My pellets / head symmetrical
View attachment 301765

;)NoLimits
Wow Im amazed (in a good way) how some inspect the pellets before using them!!!!! I just buy them and shoot them of course I'm not a competitive shooter just some old guy happy with putting a projectile within a one inch circle..

Here is a 20fpe customer gun at 25m indoors from last week. 25 shot groups with pellets straight from the tin. Incidentally, these are NOT my best pellets. One group is with shrouded barrel, one is unshrouded. The partly visible ring on these N50 is .315”….same as the 25m target 9 ring.

Mike

View attachment 301770View attachment 301771
Amazing!!

I’ve been able to tame my MRD’s miraculously, lol. The two labeled fliers was me being over anxious. These groups at 50 are way way different than they were when I first started using them at the start of the year.View attachment 299468
Looks good... Now do the same thing at 100Y.

Reactions: bigHUN
My opinion is head size for your particular barrel is more important than weight.

Reducing head size no problem, increasing head size tricky… poly barrels tricky!
Absolutely totally agree. Prepping for EBR, I sorted by both weight and head size. Weight made no difference but head size did. 5.54/5.55 gave me POI out to the 5 ring. 5.52/5.53 gave me 24 out of 25 shots in the 9 ring or better in the 75 yard qualifiers.