Dual Regulators a fad or here to stay?

I wouldn’t say 100% necessary. Perhaps beneficial would be a better outlook. My current .22 Cricket mini Carbine has reg set at 115 bar for 18s at 880 fps and I routinely fill the gun to 265 or 270 bar with no issues. It does have a fairly large reg compared to the FX micro-regs. Other guns like the AGT and Taipan experience the same reg to source differential pressure with no issues, but again, except for Uragan they all have large regs.
So no, not “necessary” to have two regs…

THIS. Look at a Taipans consistency right out the box, single reg, unchanged for years, and itll have as good or a tighter es as an impact with 2 regs out of the box.

Reactions: mercado
FAD. No one I know that shoots an M3 in competition uses both regs.

Edit: I’m referring to higher power guns where plenum pressure is kept relatively high like 150 bar and up.
Yeah I think thats the ticket. If FX releases a model with a 300Bar bottle, and dual regs with a higher operating range for slugs; we will continue to see more dual setups.

When I was researching regulated airguns I noticed many of them had reg creep. Even more with higher fill pressures. Taking 4500 psi to 1000 psi seemed like a big task for 1 reg.

It just made sense. So my first regulated rifle was a Maverick with 2 regs. There is only 2 adjustments on the Maverick reg pressure and hammer spring. If you can add 20-30 bar to your second reg pressures for the first reg the rest is just HS adjustment . I also liked the weight, the compact is 6.5 lbs . And 3 fps SD spread for being in the game for 3 weeks now is a bit rewarding.

Hi Mike, what is the significance of the regulator's size with respect to the potential pros/cons of a dual regulator setup?

Are you referring to recovery time associated with the orifice size, or the size of some other aspect of the regulator?

In terms of setpoint stability in particular, a small orifice is preferred. The tradeoff of course being recovery time. Beyond that I would say a regulator's input regulation (output pressure repeatability over a wide input pressure range) is mostly influenced by the seat geometry and surface quality and material selection (e.g. nylon, acetal, PEEK, etc.).
Not sure. Was just pointing out cause and effect. Maybe with larger reg it seats better because more surface area against the piston? I’m not saying I know the answer, was just saying I don’t see this reg problems with Eastern European guns. Your guess as s as good as mine….

I wouldn’t say 100% necessary. Perhaps beneficial would be a better outlook. My current .22 Cricket mini Carbine has reg set at 115 bar for 18s at 880 fps and I routinely fill the gun to 265 or 270 bar with no issues. It does have a fairly large reg compared to the FX micro-regs. Other guns like the AGT and Taipan experience the same reg to source differential pressure with no issues, but again, except for Uragan they all have large regs.
So no, not “necessary” to have two regs…

Very true, every gun is made differently. If the TP is part of speed/power "regulation" then the regulator fluctuation won't show up at all which at time get mistaken for xxx regulator never creeps. While using TP to regulate power is more consistent but comes at the price of being less efficient or dumping more air than needed then let TP to regulate peak power plus no way to increase max power without increasing TP. It certainly isn't "necessary" but for guns with bigger TP dual reg setup helps a lot.

There will always be cases of bad regs, or regs with creep. But If airgunners claimed 3-4 years ago it was best to not fill the gun beyond 200 bar for reg consistency, no matter what brand, that should still be true today. Do not think regs have changed that much recently. With a dual reg system, you do not have to worry about filling the gun to full bottle pressure for consistency, or wear over prolonged time.

In my previous comments I neglected to mention that dual regulators had been in common use in the paintball world long before we were talking about FX doing it. Many paintball markers have operating pressures as low as 250psi (17 bar). Stepping a 3000psi bottle down to 250psi in one go is asking a lot...a factor of 12x. For PCP airguns, we seldom ask for more than about 3x.
Competive paint ball gunstypically fire with well under 100psi (under 7 bar). Generally, two or three regs are used ton get 4500psi down to well contriolled sub 300 fps, but its apples and oranges compared to pcp pelletguns.

Of course I get by fine with my FT guns with NO reg, so though I do have some shorter guns with regs, I feel two regs is akin to wearing a belt and suspenders.

LD

Reactions: qball
Not sure. Was just pointing out cause and effect. Maybe with larger reg it seats better because more surface area against the piston? I’m not saying I know the answer, was just saying I don’t see this reg problems with Eastern European guns. Your guess as s as good as mine….
Well I sure as heck saw it in my Sapsan, happened after about 500 or so pellets, fill it up then every shot was 10fps faster than the last, fill up again and rinse and repeat. Shipped it to Joe B. back when Putin invaded Ukraine, haven't seen it since. Got yelled at for asking about it.

When I was playing with my Maverick shooting slugs I utilized the first reg for a while. Then on the wife’s Maverick and my Compact Maverick I just set the first reg up @ 200 bar. Both remaining Mavericks the second reg is at 102 for the 22 and 106 for the 25.
Basically, the first reg is doing very little.
My M3 I have not finished tinkering with it but believe I could just open the first reg all the way and use only the second or vice versa. I am shooting it at just a shade under 150 bar and I don’t believe the 100 bar differential is asking too much of a regulator.
My Crown MKII uses only 1 and I am shooting it right at 150 bar. If you are using 140+ bar to launch your projectiles I don’t see much use in a 2 reg set up.
Maybe the second reg could be used as an onboard spare.

Reactions: Centercut
I don't see how dual regs makes tuning more complicated????
Just set the first reg higher than the second. As far as my understanding it will affect fill time between shots but other than that it doesn't really matter.
Less pressure on the 2nd reg? Sure. Does it matter? Maybe. Setting that first reg is the easiest part of tuning and doesn't really affect your actual shot tune.

I don't see how dual regs makes tuning more complicated????
Just set the first reg higher than the second. As far as my understanding it will affect fill time between shots but other than that it doesn't really matter.
Less pressure on the 2nd reg? Sure. Does it matter? Maybe. Setting that first reg is the easiest part of tuning and doesn't really affect your actual shot tune.
Agree not complicated, and for the fill time I've drilled the wholes in both reg pistons to 0.5mm and it fill as fast as I repeat in hunting situations
With both reg polished the pressure is super stable and my M3's keep the tune, and I can go more hunting, both my M3's are with 300 bar bottles which causes no problems at all 😎👍

Last edited:
Agree not complicated, and for the fill time I've drilled the wholes in both reg pistons to 0.5mm and it fill as fast as I repeat in hunting situations
With both reg polished the pressure is super stable and my M3's keep the tune, and I can go more hunting, both my M3's are with 300 bar bottles which causes no problems at all 😎👍
I have a 300 bar bottle on my Maverick without problem too.

Reactions: SlugsOnTarget
Well I sure as heck saw it in my Sapsan, happened after about 500 or so pellets, fill it up then every shot was 10fps faster than the last, fill up again and rinse and repeat. Shipped it to Joe B. back when Putin invaded Ukraine, haven't seen it since. Got yelled at for asking about it.
I don’t know what a Sapsan is, I thought it was the Russian bullet train…. I mentioned AGT, Cricket, and Taipan, all three are known for their top of the line regulators. Any others like the Peregrine Falcon I have no idea of their build quality.

I don’t know what a Sapsan is, I thought it was the Russian bullet train…. I mentioned AGT, Cricket, and Taipan, all three are known for their top of the line regulators. Any others like the Peregrine Falcon I have no idea of their build quality.
Zaroia Sapsan, made in Ukraine, the company was/is a large producer of air guns, the thing was accurate as heck
1671896939165.png