Don't feel left out!

Any updates from the guys who were able to obtain one of these barrels?
I haven't shot mine lately but I know it performs very well. Last I talked to him he was getting a new batch of 24 inch barrels "next week" but that was a month ago. I really don't know what's going on with him but I wish him all the best.

Have been shooting a .22 3G now for @ 4+ months ( at 26" oal ). It does very well with .217 NSA 20.2's and 23's at nearly 1000fps.
Think it is a winner but IMO it Does Need To Be Stiffened via stretch tensioning or heavy carbon sleeving etc ..

thumbnail.jpg

I've played with a 28inch 3 groove TJ from Troy off and on for a few months now. .22.

1000001357.jpg

Shot this last week, high water mark of accuracy. This was 3, ten shot groups at 100 yards using. 22 Monster RDs at 900-910fps.
1000001358.jpg

I've tried 17.5, 20.2, 23 NSAs and accuracy was poor. Also tried some JSB Knockouts and it was abysmal with them.

Shot some quarter sized groups with H&N Barracudas at 50yards.

Most promising so far, in my particular barrel, seems to be heavy .22 pellets.

Dunno how much of this can be extrapolates to other 3 groove TJs because I've done a lot of work on it to get to this point. The one I received was pretty rough in the rifling dept. I've fire-lapped and polished the snot out of this thing and the grooves imparted on the projectile are still pretty rough.

Here's some of those rifling marks on a pellet and a slug, easier to see the roughness on the pellet.
1000001389.png

1000001390.png

1000001392.png

1000001391.png

My general impression is that it's a fairly tight bore. Shoots those MRDs pretty good til it gets dirty and then it goes to pot. And it gets dirty fairly quickly.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Centercut
I've been told that in hammer forging, there are optimum ratios for tube diameter to bore diameter... for final results. @Franklink's barrel is a 15 mm x 711 mm (28"), as are 2 that I purchased. The measured bore size on mine is larger than specified by Troy so I've been very careful about much polishing. The bores on mine are fairly rough and after much testing, decided to lap it. It is MUCH better but not that close in accuracy to the factory barrel on my Safari. I have not experimented with slugs yet. The velocity gain was minimal on the Safari as it is tuned to be fairly efficient (little wasted air). Now I bought mine as blanks and @Franklink's was machined by Troy or under his supervision, for what that's worth. I have occasional groups that are quite a bit better than those above but overall , probably could consider those as the typical.

Slugs could be a different story because you can get different diameters.

A different outer diameter will likely deliver a different result... as I understand it.

Bob

I've been told that in hammer forging, there are optimum ratios for tube diameter to bore diameter... for final results. @Franklink's barrel is a 15 mm x 711 mm (28"), as are 2 that I purchased. The measured bore size on mine is larger than specified by Troy so I've been very careful about much polishing. The bores on mine are fairly rough and after much testing, decided to lap it. It is MUCH better but not that close in accuracy to the factory barrel on my Safari. I have not experimented with slugs yet. The velocity gain was minimal on the Safari as it is tuned to be fairly efficient (little wasted air). Now I bought mine as blanks and @Franklink's was machined by Troy or under his supervision, for what that's worth. I have occasional groups that are quite a bit better than those above but overall , probably could consider those as the typical.

Slugs could be a different story because you can get different diameters.

A different outer diameter will likely deliver a different result... as I understand it.

Bob
In line with Bob's alluding to the barrel length.....

I was hoping for an increase in fps by going with the 28inch barrel on the Vet Long, but did not see as much as I'd hoped. I've often heard the general rule of thumb of 10fps per inch. The barrel that normally resides on the Vet Long is a 23inch LW. The extra 5 inches of barrel length from the 3 groove TJ only gave me a 15-20fps increase, not the 50-60fps that I was hoping to see. So the 23 inch LW normally shoots the .22 MRDs at 890fps. I was seeing 900-910fps with the 28 inch TJ. And that was speeds as received, and after polishing (it does not appear that I lost any fps by the fire-lapping and bore polishing). Chrono readings from both barrels were done with identical reg pressure and hammer spring tension.

Most of my impression of the bore being tight on my particular specimen of the 3 groove TJ is related to how hard it is to chamber a JSB Knockout. Slugs from that same tin chamber much more easily in the LW barrel that typically lives on the Vet Long.

As Bobbie stated when comparing the TJ to the factory barrel on his Safari, the TJ barrel I received is not more accurate than the 23 inch LW that had previously been on the Vet Long, nor did it give a substantial increase in fps to warrant the cumbersome length. For those reasons the TJ got removed and placed in the barrel pile.

I'm using mine at RMAC as we speak. It's shooting the 24.8 NSA great @ 960fps it's also shooting 33.95 Jumbo monster pellets great. I picked up Javelin and JSB MII knockouts while here for more testing and getting H&N as well. Spent a while talking with Matt at Javelin discussing the barrel and he feels it can handle even up to 30gr no problem so they'll be lots of testing coming up. The AVS slugs also shot well in testing so it's very promising that you'll have many choices based on the guns power.
.22 or .25 caliber ? I havnt heard of anyone shooting the .22 caliber 34 grain pellets well past 50 yards