Deer Discomfort Deterrent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for replies, did not get a single specific suggestion for a model of gun, which was the question.....

You may have missed the point. People are reluctant to get involved by giving airgun suggestions since the consensus seems to be that shooting airguns at deer to cause them discomfort is a bad idea since it could potentially injure the deer or potentially be illegal despite what you may think about the legality.

Thanks for replies, did not get a single specific suggestion for a model of gun, which was the question. Much appreciation on the alternative ideas, will try Irish Spring, and dog hairs from pet grooming. Can't do paintball as neighbors would ID me as the source. "Discomfort" IS legal in WA, I can't have venison as it is an over 55 community. The vegetation chosen was only once eaten in the last 20 yrs by one buck, as I mentioned, the deer for whatever reason now have different habits or tastes, and I will do the repellants but also want to have an airgun of some type, not a paintball gun, and that is quiet, for up to 150 FEET, what is the advice please, want to stay under $200, thanks.
I am having a very difficult time believing that "Discomfort" IS legal is WA. Discomfort or harrassment of wildlife in the best case or wounding causing pain or suffering in the worst case being legal is short circuiting me.
I spent some time on the WDFW (Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife) site and can't find anywhere that it's legal to create "Discomfort" in or on a deer as a deterent. I did find their suggestions on "Preventing conflicts with deer" and they suggest fencing or repellants. Here's the link:

Wounding an animal as a deterent is contrary to everything I know and believe in. Never shoot at ANYTHING without the intent to destroy/kill is what I was taught.

I'm not a tree hugger. I was a big game guide in Colorado for 9 years and still hunt.

You might get some suggestion for a model of gun to shoot deer for discomfort if you can show that this is legal in your State.

Thanks for replies, did not get a single specific suggestion for a model of gun, which was the question. Much appreciation on the alternative ideas, will try Irish Spring, and dog hairs from pet grooming. Can't do paintball as neighbors would ID me as the source. "Discomfort" IS legal in WA, I can't have venison as it is an over 55 community… and I will do the repellants but also want to have an airgun of some type, not a paintball gun, and that is quiet, for up to 150 FEET, what is the advice please, want to stay under $200, thanks.
@Eagles Folks may be answering the way that they are because they’ve read the rules for this site and are exercising a bit of good ole common sense.

It’s going to be interesting reading Washington state laws and regulations and revisiting this thread.

Edit: there’s these guidelines

More specific are these and your scenario doesn’t come close to the criteria spelled out here.

Here are methods of repelling deer suggested by the state of Washington

This thread is starting to smell like bull 💩

I think you are full of it, but if you’re serious and just are unable to comprehend your laws and regulations, I recommend calling a game warden and try moving the plants you want to protect if other methods (such as fencing, Irish Spring, or some sort of pepper) of deterring the deer fail. It’s probably not a good idea to take the suggestions of random strangers online over the advice of wildlife officials and enforcement officers. I saw a kid shooting at a deer in his yard with a BB gun on YouTube recently. It just looks irresponsible, but this was a boy of about 7-8 years of age if I had to guess. Considering that you say you live in a retirement community, do you not like living there? I’m confident your idea won’t sit well with the HOA or community’s administrators (if y’all have any). If I missed something, feel free to point it out.
Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 10.17.44 AM.png

Last edited:
Thanks for replies, did not get a single specific suggestion for a model of gun, which was the question. Much appreciation on the alternative ideas, will try Irish Spring, and dog hairs from pet grooming. Can't do paintball as neighbors would ID me as the source. "Discomfort" IS legal in WA, I can't have venison as it is an over 55 community. The vegetation chosen was only once eaten in the last 20 yrs by one buck, as I mentioned, the deer for whatever reason now have different habits or tastes, and I will do the repellants but also want to have an airgun of some type, not a paintball gun, and that is quiet, for up to 150 FEET, what is the advice please, want to stay under $200, thanks.
DISCOMFORT IS NOT LEGAL in Washington State- read the def. of hunt : Any effort to kill, capture, or (HARASS) a wild animal or wild bird. What you want too do with a air gun is completely ILLEGAL if you talked to Fish & Game as I HAVE "YOU" KNOW THAT.
MODS: this post should be taken down

Hello, Newbie first post. What to buy for less than $200 to hit deer eating vegetation? In our area, deer which had never before eaten certain plants now doing so. WA permits "discomfort" if annoyance, so my needs are not power. But accuracy and not being loud are important. Often, the deer are in groups, so I would like a semi auto to pop a few of them without having to rewind or reload after each shot. Airlift or BB am open to, and welcome advice on what to buy. Recap:
QUIET; accurate to 150'; not powerful unit needed; semi auto. Thanks
Bad Idea . (n)

.300WINMAG subsonic suppressed if none of the previous ideas help. Might be over your budget though. 🤨

Last edited:
Reactions: john8 and Spartan
@Eagles you obviously have the internet. you can google A PCP to break barrel that could do what you want. I don't think the guy's there would do what you are talking about.(Causing discomfort) As a hunter my self I would NOT recommend what you are thinking. There are way more effective ways to deal with the problem. You have concerns about being CAUGHT.and you should because it is illegal.and even if it were legal I wouldn't do it.causing pain/suffering to an animal is cruel no mater how you look at it.

Weird question to ask online. But if you are serious about deterring deer without getting into legal trouble, go to a plant nursery and ask for a product called Bobbex. Get the one intended for deer, not rabbits. The stuff STINKS something horrible but is harmless.

I lived in western WA for a few years and the deer problem truly was a persistent and worsening problem. I swore that the local deer population was doubling every year we lived there. I found Bobbex worked well but needs reapplication after prolonged rain. People tried Irish Spring bars suspended under a protective plastic shield such as cutoff gallon milk jugs.

The only plants I had were native shrubs supposedly not palatable to deer. They had gourmet tastes, and plentiful flower and veggie gardens on other properties drew them more, BUT when desperate for food deer WILL chomp on the plants they “don’t like.” I got so ticked off one time that I chucked a small rock at one deer’s butt. Hit it, too. It moved away a few steps and just stood there staring at me. I do remember someone else shooting one with an air rifle. The deer jumped away…into the neighbor’s yard. It sure wasn’t hurt. However, all it would take is some nosey neighbor calling that kind of act in to the police. Try the Bobbex instead.

Hello, Newbie first post. What to buy for less than $200 to hit deer eating vegetation? In our area, deer which had never before eaten certain plants now doing so. WA permits "discomfort" if annoyance, so my needs are not power. But accuracy and not being loud are important. Often, the deer are in groups, so I would like a semi auto to pop a few of them without having to rewind or reload after each shot. Airlift or BB am open to, and welcome advice on what to buy. Recap:

Paintball

what works ! buy some Jalapeno peppers , Fresh . chop fine and mix into water a dozen peppers to a Quart of water with a shot of vinegar leave for 24 hours , . strain and spray on the plants . Humans will never taste or feel the peppers but the deer and other animals will .

I have had good luck with one of these - it is a motion activated sprinkler. It keeps them out of my garden area over night. https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62100-...17e03685&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

As others have said, you can't use a traditional BB or pellet gun to do what you want. Paintball and airsoft can work though - I use an old AEG airsoft gun I have left laying around from when my kids use them years ago to scare them away at times, but it only works when you can see them and take action, which is nowhere near enough of the time to prevent damage.

Go with the sprinkler. It works for a limited area, and they learn over time to stay away - but it won't cover a whole yard . ..

I have had good luck with one of these - it is a motion activated sprinkler. It keeps them out of my garden area over night. https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62100-Activated-Sprinkler-Detection/dp/B009F1R0GC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1FNXLFB4AKTOC&keywords=Orbit+62100+Yard+Enforcer+Motion-Activated+Sprinkler+with+Day+&+Night+Detection+Modes,Black&qid=1704810676&sprefix=orbit+62100+yard+enforcer+motion-activated+sprinkler+with+day+&+night+detection+modes,black+,aps,104&sr=8-1-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18630bbb-fcbb-42f8-9767-857e17e03685&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

As others have said, you can't use a traditional BB or pellet gun to do what you want. Paintball and airsoft can work though - I use an old AEG airsoft gun I have left laying around from when my kids use them years ago to scare them away at times, but it only works when you can see them and take action, which is nowhere near enough of the time to prevent damage.

Go with the sprinkler. It works for a limited area, and they learn over time to stay away - but it won't cover a whole yard . ..
Great Idea. Add a IR motion detector that might turn on a light and solenoid valve to start sprinkler.

Status
Not open for further replies.