Current scope(s), Next scope, and Dream scope???

I had the Midas Tac - One of the best optics for under $1,000, on sale for $525 is was a no brainer.

I now have the Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 - I am in love lol

Next (as of now) will be the Leica PRS 5-30 - Sexyyy!!

Dream scope- 3 way tie;
-Tangent Theta 5-25
-ZCo 527
-March FX 5-42

How about you?
Well, I just sold my ATN THOR 4 1.25-5x 384 Thermal Scope. I have approval from the wife for the ATN THOR 5 XD 1280 2-20x Thermal Scope, so when it is released later this year, that's what I'm buying!
Screenshot_20230308_054830_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Screenshot_20230308_055346_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Reactions: dvr06
Throughout my life all my hunting and shooting has been with iron sights. In the last ten years a lot of things have changed and I started getting scoped up. $2 scopes to be specific.

3 years ago I got into airguns after the “Bird incident.” This lead me to AO scopes. Never knew such a thing existed.

My two Hawke vantages, 2-7x32, 4-12x50 are nice. Still have them and they work.
Tried some UTG, yes they have warranty, till you use it and they cut you off. They banished me to Bug buster and True Hunter. The True Hunter has failed. I am 1 for 5 with their product and will never give them money again.

Then I bought a Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax. And then a second one that came with a used gun. I like them and they are just able to focus down to 10m in poor light.

I moved one of the Airmax down to a smaller gun which left my AA needing a scope.
After reading scope threads here until my eyes quit on me, I decided to buy a better scope.

Still not a big $ scope, but I am astonished at the clarity and the clicks. Athlon Argus HMR 4-20x50. Oh my it even focuses down to 5m.
The parallax adjustment is so much more precise than anything I have touched, yes I don’t get out much.
I could go on and on about it. I am starting to understand why some spend so much on optics.

Next scope....hmmmm. I want something as good as this Athlon, but smaller, much smaller for my Prod.

51178040-52A0-4DE9-BFDF-ECD8AAB1B589.jpeg

Last edited:
I started with a us uoptics Ts12 on my m3 and then went to a arken sh4 gen 2 which is honestly a rather amazing scope. I got bore and pulled a scope off one of my powder burners just to give it a go. I’m not sure it will ever leave my impact. I love the mark5 his from luepold. Glass clarity for the 2k price point is unreal. I’m very happy with it.

1B118D36-A671-419F-ACE9-A8F7E2D377AF.jpeg

Reactions: Sanctify7
Throughout my life all my hunting and shooting has been with iron sights. In the last ten years a lot of things have changed and I started getting scoped up. $2 scopes to be specific.

3 years ago I got into airguns after the “Bird incident.” This lead me to AO scopes. Never knew such a thing existed.

My two Hawke vantages, 2-7x32, 4-12x50 are nice. Still have them and they work.
Tried some UTG, yes they have warranty, till you use it and they cut you off. They banished me to Bug buster and True Hunter. The True Hunter has failed. I am 1 for 5 with their product and will never give them money again.

Then I bought a Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax. And then a second one that came with a used gun. I like them and they are just able to focus down to 10m in poor light.

I moved one of the Airmax down to a smaller gun which left my AA needing a scope.
After reading scope threads here until my eyes quit on me, I decided to buy a better scope.

Still not a big $ scope, but I am astonished at the clarity and the clicks. Athlon Argus HMR 4-20x50. Oh my it even focuses down to 5m.
The parallax adjustment is so much more precise than anything I have touched, yes I don’t get out much.
I could go on and on about it. I am starting to understand why some spend so much on optics.

Next scope....hmmmm. I want something as good as this Athlon, but smaller, much smaller for my Prod.

View attachment 339503
I really like to hear that a given scope parallaxes way down. S7

Reactions: RushBomber
Steve, what do you think of the new Athlon Heras line? They seem to be about the same price range as Helos. What the difference and why buy one over the other? PS., I have an Athlon Helos gen2 2-12x on my speed gun and it’s awesome!
See my mini review of the Heras. I think it's fantastic!

Reactions: Centercut
Optics Planet is putting on a huge sale on the two popular scopes talked most about here, the March-F 1-10×24mm shorty dual reticle and the March High Master 4.5-28×52mm. They do not get to this much of a deal often, even used.

View attachment 342899

When I sign into Dvor and go to their March page I'm only finding one Shorty model and it's $110 cheaper at $1929. I don't know if a coupon is already applied for me or if perhaps the one you have shown above is the tree reticle version, but something is different. Turrets are the same.

I'm not considering one but wanted to point out the difference to anyone who might be.

Quick screen grab.

March.JPG

When I sign into Dvor and go to their March page I'm only finding one Shorty model and it's $110 cheaper at $1929. I don't know if a coupon is already applied for me or if perhaps the one you have shown above is the tree reticle version, but something is different. Turrets are the same.

I'm not considering one but wanted to point out the difference to anyone who might be.

Quick screen grab.

View attachment 342935
It is the same dual reticle Shorty 1-10. It appears all of the March Scopes like this are being clearanced, including the High Master Wide Angle series, to make way for the newest "Suriken lock" turrets design, and larger 34mm strait tube on the Shorty. The 25-30% deals happening now probably won't be seen again.

It is the same dual reticle Shorty 1-10. It appears all of the March Scopes like this are being clearanced, including the High Master Wide Angle series, to make way for the newest "Suriken lock" turrets design, and larger 34mm strait tube on the Shorty. The 25-30% deals happening now probably won't be seen again.
I get that. Curious as to the price difference is all. For what it is worth, this is the second time they've had the Shorty on sale for under 2k this year. But to your point, I don't think this will be a normal price by any means.

Im extremelly tempted by the shortys at these prices.

I'm eventually going to get a "do it all" centerfire semi, and if I thought that time was closer, I'd probably pull the trigger.

The new reticles on the gen iis look to be much better for a centerfire semi that would be ever need to potentially be at 1x tho.

Expanding the topic, I wish a high end company other than Trijicon would take up the prismatic mantle.

The second gen Vortex Spitfires are really, really amazing. ACOGs are awesome, for what they are. Immersive Optics has a kernel of absolute brilliance, especially at the price point but they haven't quite cracked the code.

I've never played with an Elcan, but the double/triple prisms are really intriguing despite the price.

Prisms have proven to be supremely durable (Trijicon), and can have mind bending field of view (Immersive). Elcan has shown they can be flexible.

I don't think prisms are nearly as advanced, comparitively, as conventional scopes.

So yeah, I wish there was a "March, for prismatics."

** edit --- part of the idea here is I don't think magnification being a continuous function is particularly useful. A discrete function is fine.

Is 1-10 really that much more useful than 1, 10?

@Larcat an indexed 1-5-10 prismatic that combines the best I've seen from Dedal, Primary Arms & Immersive Optics is very appealing.

You have me wondering about the new March reticles. Will look up the differences when I get home.
@Scouty --- i can't find any info out and about for the reticles --- believe just pictures on the March site.

Elcan does a, going from memory here, 1-3-8. Ain't cheap though....

Reactions: Scouty
This is a most fantastic thread. The quality of input, frankness, general and deep understandings of where we all stand with what we need/want, along with our personal limitations... Etc. There seems to be level of respect, regardless of where we are on the spectrum of scope needs/wants, whether it be $99.00 or $5000 with genuine details of "why" and not just to boast. I personally believe everyone's posts are over the top great! This is my idea of a perfect thread. No BS, No Trolls, No Dissing this Brand or that Brand, Mines better because... We are talking 5 pages on my screen with fantastic input and data that all of us can use for many many months and years.
Thank you all.

😊Patrick

Is 1-10 really that much more useful than 1, 10?

For me 1x for self defense on my AR or for the occasional 3 gun match.

With versatility in mind:
Side focus which ""is awesome to have" and used for general shooting or if I want to use it on a air rifle or 22rf and shoot close.
Well made scope I can count on.
1x for SD or 3 gun.
Lightweight because the gun was already heavy.
Need for DFP to use MIL holds but see the reticle full size too.
Daylight bright red dot.
10x for long range.

Sounds funny but I like to try the different magnifications for the heck of it. I like to holdover and dial too so I play around with all three aspects.

There was nothing in the entire scope market that fit the bill better at the time I got it.

If I didn't need 1x I wouldn't have gotten this scope. Am I glad I have it, YES, and no plans to sell it.

With this scope I can do almost anything I could want to do - versatility.