Crosman Crosman Icon for $129.99 - free shipping

Unregulated: my understanding is, as we back off the hammer spring and valve isn't hit hard enough to fully open it due to the pressure that is on it. As that pressure moves down the valve opens up easier letting out more air, until we reach the point of less pressure just kind of dribbling out. Thus finding that sweet spot of the hammer spring that taps it just right without letting to much or too little air out.

I'm sure a wiser PCP person will have a better or more technical answer.

Last edited:
How is this comparing to the H&N and JSB?
I'm having chrono envy! It's crazy to see how the speed goes up in the middle of psi swing. though not seeing a noticeable change in shot height.
When it comes to 75 yards when shooting beyond the first 10 -14 shots I start missing the gong.
Haven’t measured these, but at a glance I’d have to say my rifle prefers H&N 5.55 14.66 grn pellets. A mix of 5 and 10 shot groups. The circled one is from Umarex NOTOS, the two underlined are Crosman Premier domes.
AF63B295-0352-4595-90EB-29C6BD66BF6A.jpeg

Unregulated: my understanding is, as we back off the hammer spring and valve isn't hit hard enough to fully open it due to the pressure that is on it. As that pressure moves down the valve opens up easier letting out more air, until we reach the point of less pressure just kind of dribbling out. Thus finding that sweet spot of the hammer spring that taps it just right without letting to much or too little pressure out.

I'm sure a wiser PCP person will have a better or more technical answer.
Nope, that was a VERY good explanation. Thank you!

that is interesting. was looking at gamo arrow can anyone speak to the icon compared to the arrow. pro's and cons build quality etc,

how big is not having it regulated,
My Icon I got during the Christmas sale for $129.00 is awesome. The rifle is nice and sturdy where I hear the Arrow has a cheap barrel band that breaks on more than a few occasions upon reading a few reviews. If you get an Icon, when cleaning the barrel it was full of the black motor oil that took over 35 patches just to get it acceptable. They didn't want it rusting upon shipping from China for sure. But it's accuracy is outstanding and I am very happy with it so far. Check out my post to see the group I shot after sighting in. I love it!

My Icon I got during the Christmas sale for $129.00 is awesome. The rifle is nice and sturdy where I hear the Arrow has a cheap barrel band that breaks on more than a few occasions upon reading a few reviews. If you get an Icon, when cleaning the barrel it was full of the black motor oil that took over 35 patches just to get it acceptable. They didn't want it rusting upon shipping from China for sure. But it's accuracy is outstanding and I am very happy with it so far. Check out my post to see the group I shot after sighting in. I love it!
I like my 2 Crosman Icon in .177 and .22.
Their build feels very solid.

The trigger is the same as the one in the Beeman 2027 and 1358 which I have.
I reduced the pull weight by slightly twisting the end of the return spring up.
That end of that spring is visible outside of the trigger area, and you do not need to open up the rifle for this.

I am shooting the .22 at 70-75 yards (using Norma 17.6 grain domed pellets) and its accuracy it's on par with the Avenger, Gamo Urban or Nova Liberty.
The .177 at about 50-55 yards is just as accurate as the Avenger shooting the Crosman Premier Domed 10.5 grains.

I 3D printed a long LDC and a barrel band for each rifle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogowsky
Has anybody been able to make their shot string flatter?
I have not had time yet to tinker to see about improving efficiency and useful shot count but based on the loudness and duration of the report, it seems to suffer from hammer bounce. Also supported by the discovery by @rdpjr6504 that simply giving the buttstock a modest bump is enough to blip the valve.

Which means it will benefit from one or more of the common air-saving approaches:

Spring-stopping guide (SSG)
Short stiff spring (SSS)
Bstaley O-ring buffer
Lightweight hammer

The Icon has been out for a while so I would think someone has already explored these options so it may be worthwhile to do some keyword searches here and on GTA.

I have not had time yet to tinker to see about improving efficiency and useful shot count but based on the loudness and duration of the report, it seems to suffer from hammer bounce. Also supported by the discovery by @rdpjr6504 that simply giving the buttstock a modest bump is enough to blip the valve.

Which means it will benefit from one or more of the common air-saving approaches:

Spring-stopping guide (SSG)
Short stiff spring (SSS)
Bstaley O-ring buffer
Lightweight hammer

The Icon has been out for a while so I would think someone has already explored these options so it may be worthwhile to do some keyword searches here and on GTA.
I am actually getting a 50-60 FPS spread in .22 over 3 magazines, no matter the adjustments of the hammer spring and start/end air pressure.

I am familiar with the techniques you mention, but I need more concrete advice specific to the Icon.
I will start another thread to improve the shot string in the Croman Icon.

Last edited:
The barrel on my .22 Icon showed good promise so I decided to give it a little attention. First up was to remove the front sight. I was expecting it to put up a fight so I made a simple slide hammer with a scrap of wood. Before warming up the sight to soften it, I gave it a couple of moderate strikes with the slide hammer and it popped right off. Turns out it simply had a brittle adhesive holding it and a flat for indexing.
front sight removed sm.jpg

Starting at the leade, I used a generic Cratex point and wet/dry sandpaper to break the sharp step in the rifling. Then I poured a cast lap and worked the bore. There were two tight zones at approximately 25% and 75% of the way from the breech which took a bit of work to blend out. Here's a pic of the lap after the job was done.
cast lap.jpg

Then it was time to deal with the irregular factory crown
crown as delivered.jpg

After cutting it back and recrowning:
recrown sm.jpg

Then cleaned the bore and reinstalled the barrel and pulled some patches with Johnson's wax. Waited a bit for the solvent to evaporate from the wax, then grabbed the Norma 17.6gr domes to shoot some test groups. It seems to have responded nicely. The first 3 groups at 30 yards measured 0.22", 0.36", and 0.19". Average of 0.257" or 0.82 MoA.
Norma 17.6gr 30yds post lap and crown sm.jpg

The barrel on my .22 Icon showed good promise so I decided to give it a little attention. First up was to remove the front sight. I was expecting it to put up a fight so I made a simple slide hammer with a scrap of wood. Before warming up the sight to soften it, I gave it a couple of moderate strikes with the slide hammer and it popped right off. Turns out it simply had a brittle adhesive holding it and a flat for indexing.
View attachment 419330

Starting at the leade, I used a generic Cratex point and wet/dry sandpaper to break the sharp step in the rifling. Then I poured a cast lap and worked the bore. There were two tight zones at approximately 25% and 75% of the way from the breech which took a bit of work to blend out. Here's a pic of the lap after the job was done.
View attachment 419331

Then it was time to deal with the irregular factory crown
View attachment 419332

After cutting it back and recrowning:
View attachment 419333

Then cleaned the bore and reinstalled the barrel and pulled some patches with Johnson's wax. Waited a bit for the solvent to evaporate from the wax, then grabbed the Norma 17.6gr domes to shoot some test groups. It seems to have responded nicely. The first 3 groups at 30 yards measured 0.22", 0.36", and 0.19". Average of 0.257" or 0.82 MoA.
View attachment 419335

Congrats on the improvements, I am still working on mine.