Classic break barrel recommendation please

I will get some images when I get it. Now I need a scope and a mount. I use reading glasses now and the iron sight is a no go. Initially, I was thinking LPVO but I see a lot of comments from older guys who have reading glasses and complain. So now I am thinking I might end up with something low magnification. I used the own a US Optics TS-12X on my L2 that I sold. I was happy with that. This being a $500 gun, I don't want to go higher than $500 for the glass. The less $$ the better. So any recommendations on a less expensive Hawke would be great. The video I watched (linked a few posts above) talks about barrel droop? being significant. So an adjustable mount would be good.

Well. I got the gun. It is a beauty. Got the mount and a Hawke 1-9 scope and some pellets too. There is a problem though. I did not realize how loud this things is. It has been 30 years last I fired a spring loaded air rifle. It makes it basically useless for me due to the close proximity of the neighbors. I will get no use out of this at all. I am going to have to put this up for sale.

It may not be as loud as you think it is. The first few shots may diesel a bit but that'll go away after 20 shots or so. After that most of the noise that you, the shooter, are hearing is from the action. Have someone else shoot the gun with you standing 10yds away. It won't seem nearly as loud to you.
Unfortunately, it is. There is no way this will work for me. The scope is going back to Amazon. But this being from Europe, I will have to post it here. Makes no sense to ship it back there. Well. Here is the picture of it. Really nice wood indeed.

IMG_1227.jpeg

Unfortunately, it is. There is no way this will work for me. The scope is going back to Amazon. But this being from Europe, I will have to post it here. Makes no sense to ship it back there. Well. Here is the picture of it. Really nice wood indeed.

View attachment 335987
That is very pretty man. Sorry to hear it isn't going to work out well for you. The .177 50S is definitely a bit quieter but it certainly doesn't have that 35E charm to it. The .22 50S is a bit quieter still but as stated before, it does take a little getting used to. If you weren't all the way down in FL I'd let you give mine a try before buying one.

Reactions: Huncowboy
Well. I got the gun. It is a beauty. Got the mount and a Hawke 1-9 scope and some pellets too. There is a problem though. I did not realize how loud this things is. It has been 30 years last I fired a spring loaded air rifle. It makes it basically useless for me due to the close proximity of the neighbors. I will get no use out of this at all. I am going to have to put this up for sale.
My HW30s in .22 make no noise what so ever. I can knock a squirrels lights out at 30 yards. When I was reading the recommendations for you I was wondering if the noise level was any consideration. My 50s pushes the limit of noise for my backyard and my 48 is way too loud.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Sound comparisons for those curious. This was done with an Android app so not 100% accurate but gives a good compare still. All shots were taken with the muzzle 12" from the microphone.

.22 HW35E: 98.5 dB

20230228_155652.jpg

.22 HW50S: 93.5dB

20230228_155715.jpg

.22 HW50S w/ HW Slip on Moderator: 84.6dB

20230228_155733.jpg

There's already a decent difference between the 35E and the 50S but as seen with the HW moderator installed, the difference is huuuge.

Reactions: Deadeye Dick
My HW95L .22 at 17 FPE shot cycle.

Don’t sell it yet. Check your PM. Just purchased a gently used HW moderator for 15 mm barrels. Should fit and you can leave the front sight on. Sounds like you need it worse than I do, no noise issues here.

Reactions: Mcrafty1
Don’t sell it yet. Check your PM. Just purchased a gently used HW moderator for 15 mm barrels. Should fit and you can leave the front sight on. Sounds like you need it worse than I do, no noise issues here.
I ended up trading it with a member for a 50S.

IMG_1239.jpeg

Okay. I am down to the R9 and the HW35E. The R9 is for $319 with free shipping on airgun-us at the moment. That is just a no brainer right?

I am about to pull the trigger. I wanted .22. I got sooo many pellets in .22 and now that I switched to slugs on the M3 they are just there. I hate that. But I see most of you recommended .17. Is that so to get higher fps? I know .17 is plenty for tree rats and smaller critters.
NOOOOOO!!!

Airgun-US is a scam site!