Chrony issues

marcella69

Oct 31, 2016
CA
I was at the range yesterday attempting to run a shot string for my new FX Impact .30. I got about half the bottle done when an individual started shooting in the lane next to me. Every time he shot, my Chrony would register an error and I would have to reset it. It made continuing my shot string prohibitive. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue or knows why this is happening?

What type of weapon did he use? A powder burner?

Could be that the smoke of a firearm is blowing particles over the light detector in your chrony which results in an error. But this only happens if he's very close to you or using a muzzle brake or something similar.. This is also the reason that for firearms you have to use a certain distance between the muzzle and detector when conventional chrono's are used (so not like the LabRadar or something similar)

broekzwans, thanks for that; that did not occur to me, makes sense. I thought it was the concussion or vibration that knocked my Chrony whackadoo. I guess I'm just gonna have to do the shot strings in my apartment from now on, like I did with my Benjamin Marauder .22 and Daystate Pulsar .25. Since I switched to the .30 cal. FX Impact, even my heavy-duty .22 rim-fire bullet trap is inadequate. Perhaps I could line the trap with some sort of foam or putty to reduce the ricochets and noise.

Vibration/shockwave can also cause this error ;) Maybe it is possible to set up a plate between you and the shooter next to you or sit somewhere on a "quiet" side.

If you put some jeans in and an old wollen sweaters on the front in your trap you can hammer it with almost all calibers of airguns without ricochets. The sound will be the same as slapping jeans with your hands so it's not loud at all (depending on energy of course, the more energy the harder the slap).

Reactions: marcella69
"Tominco"Have you guys ever had any issues "drilling" through the clothes by shooting in the same spot over and over again? (Just curious)
Tom
I only see the drilling in the first two/three layers of clothing. What I've noticed is that the pellets will start stacking in these holes if I don't move the trap. This stacking results in chunks of lead which stop the drilling. However if the chunks are heavy enough they'll fall down and a new chunk starts to form.

I only fired a couple thousand pellets into my trap yet so not a real endurance test.

@marcella69, is your chrony problem solved now? Because we're deviating far from the original topic :p

Actually, Panzer, my Chrony (Master, the blue one) works like a champ now. Apparently, I measured from the top of the sensor housing instead of the sensor itself when marking the uprights as per the instructions. She performs flawlessly now. IMO, Chrony would dramatically reduced its complaints if it would amend its instructions to address this common mistake.