Air Venturi Avenge-X PCP Tuning Guide, AEAC Pre-video Learning

My Rifle, not a Avenger or a Avenge-X, also had POI shifts as the humidity and temperature changed. I then put 5mm spacers between the action screw, the barrel band screw and the stock. Now the tube and action only ride on those spacers / screws, not touching the wood anywhere else. POI shift is now almost non-existent. The wood is moving with temperature and humidity changes and anything tightly against it will move along, causing the impact shifts.

Last edited:
Reactions: markhooper
Have you tried free floating the barrel shroud or the air cylinder or both? This can be done by removing the O-rings inside of the barrel band.
I have not tried floating the barrel by removing the oring I don't think you can float them both because there would be only one screw holding the stock on . I did get ahold of a bullpup barrel band and put that on forward helped a little

Mine arrived yesterday. Filled it up and could hear it slowly leaking down immediately. Will send it back next week.
It sucks when a new rifle leaks. I saw some of the really expensive PCP's leaks, new out of the box. Now that must suck after you paid all the money for it as for that money they must check it before leaving the factory and / or dealer. The thing is, just a small hair of dust can make any O-ring leak, no matter if it is a budget rifle or a expensive premium rifle.

Ray
so it actually shot a bit slower with the low setting and the lighter pellets?? if that's the case and you don't shoot slugs it might probably be a closer tune if you did the jsb redesigned heavy on high and the lighter crossman on low power..
Michael
do you think this might be correct?

I'd like it if one of you guys would test the idea.. I'd really like to know, it's going to be awhile before I get one.. probably try the bullpup tank version and that's going to require a optic too.. otherwise I will get the standard one.. the tank would be nice but it's lots more money..
thank you for the info
Mark
Sorry for my delayed response I was not following this thread for a while. I received a few more different pellets to try them in my .22 and .25 cal Avenge-X airguns and also received a new pcp compressor to have a spare since I think mine is about to take a long vacation, 🤣😂😁. Yesterday I sold my Kalibrgun cricket II tactical locally as shown in one of the pics with everything included, the Sumo moderator and the Arken SH-4 scope because I want to buy the new FX King with his gorgeous GRS stock. I am just waiting to see a few more reviews to see if it meets my standards. I also received the heavier JSB redesigned pellets you mentioned, as soon I have the opportunity I will try to tested them along with lighters CPHP 14 grains with the TP of my X in the low settings and will share the results here in this thread. PS as a side note my Avenge-X in .25 cal LOVES the FX atomic 26.6 grains pellets at 35 yards all the shots were pellets over pellets…👍😊💪

IMG_8047.jpeg

IMG_8046.jpeg

IMG_7523.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine arrived yesterday. Filled it up and could hear it slowly leaking down immediately. Will send it back next week.
I would determine where it's leaking first, could be a gauge needs to be tightened or the bleed screw or something else that can be fixed in seconds without rolling the Christmas shipping dice.

I had a leak in mine it was the foster fitting I tightend it no leak since
well when you can hear it leaking, it's easier to find the leak..
makes me wonder if they don't test them prior to shipping.. id like to think that the factory pressure tests them but apparently not.. must be trying to get quantity and a bit less quality control.. or someone isn't doing their job.. likely the latter..
Mark

I have not tried floating the barrel by removing the oring I don't think you can float them both because there would be only one screw holding the stock on . I did get ahold of a bullpup barrel band and put that on forward helped a little

Assuming we are talking about an Avenge-X and not an Avenger, free floating is easy and has nothing to do with the stock screws.

The two o-rings in question can be removed (or just the top one if you prefer) very easily to float the cylinder and barrel assembly. Worth a try.

IMG_9109.jpg

well when you can hear it leaking, it's easier to find the leak..
makes me wonder if they don't test them prior to shipping.. id like to think that the factory pressure tests them but apparently not.. must be trying to get quantity and a bit less quality control.. or someone isn't doing their job.. likely the latter..
Mark

They do get checked prior to leaving China and on their arrival to the US. In fact, unless the gun is shipped to the customer by air, X models should have air in them already. Of course, things do happen and it's certainly possible for an issue to arise in transit or for someone to have missed a step in their checks. Actually, one thing I've seen on a few of the guns I've checked myself is that the bleed screw on the action isn't 100% tight and leaking just enough where you can't hear, but see it over the course of a day. Other than that, the gauges and the QD fill nipple are the things I would quickly check just to make sure they are tight.

They do get checked prior to leaving China and on their arrival to the US. In fact, unless the gun is shipped to the customer by air, X models should have air in them already. Of course, things do happen and it's certainly possible for an issue to arise in transit or for someone to have missed a step in their checks. Actually, one thing I've seen on a few of the guns I've checked myself is that the bleed screw on the action isn't 100% tight and leaking just enough where you can't hear, but see it over the course of a day. Other than that, the gauges and the QD fill nipple are the things I would quickly check just to make sure they are tight.
well if it's just a bleed screw, I'd think most would check it since it is user part with access.. but then again maybe people don't check.. as I have heard of others who couldn't get the empty gun to fill because it was empty and they didn't cock it to relieve hammer pressure so the valve can close..
I've got a american tactical liberty nova 22 that I got from AOA.. and apparently it is discontinued.. it's got a extremely slow leak 1000 psi per week until it gets to regulator pressure.. then it's stayed there for over a month.. I'm thinking it has to be something with the regulator atmosphere vent and sealing because it seems like if it was in the air tube or even after the regulator it would go empty..
it's very similar to the avenger or avenger X.. single tank pressure gauge and the port setting.. plus adjustable regulator from the outside..set at 2000 PSI
any ideas on it would be appreciated..
Mark

well if it's just a bleed screw, I'd think most would check it since it is user part with access.. but then again maybe people don't check.. as I have heard of others who couldn't get the empty gun to fill because it was empty and they didn't cock it to relieve hammer pressure so the valve can close..
I've got a american tactical liberty nova 22 that I got from AOA.. and apparently it is discontinued.. it's got a extremely slow leak 1000 psi per week until it gets to regulator pressure.. then it's stayed there for over a month.. I'm thinking it has to be something with the regulator atmosphere vent and sealing because it seems like if it was in the air tube or even after the regulator it would go empty..
it's very similar to the avenger or avenger X.. single tank pressure gauge and the port setting.. plus adjustable regulator from the outside..set at 2000 PSI
any ideas on it would be appreciated..
Mark

Yes, you're on the right track. Not terribly familiar with the Liberty, but since it leaks down to the reg pressure and stops, it should be leaking in front of the regulator. So could be cylinder o-rings, one of the external reg seals or the fill port.

Assuming we are talking about an Avenge-X and not an Avenger, free floating is easy and has nothing to do with the stock screws.

The two o-rings in question can be removed (or just the top one if you prefer) very easily to float the cylinder and barrel assembly. Worth a try.

View attachment 416702
Well on the wood stock or at least mine the wood rubs the sides of the tube on both sides I can sand that down for clearance the thing I worry about is that there will be only one screw holding the stock to the action and yes its a avenge x I will try removing the oring off the barrel shroud after the rain stops thanks for the help

Well on the wood stock or at least mine the wood rubs the sides of the tube on both sides I can sand that down for clearance the thing I worry about is that there will be only one screw holding the stock to the action and yes its a avenge x I will try removing the oring off the barrel shroud after the rain stops thanks for the help

You've still got the screw connecting the band itself to the stock, and of course, the trigger guard screw. So you're really not changing the attachment by removing both o-rings if you choose to try that. But the best place to start is by removing the shroud o-ring and testing, then go from there. Hopefully that fixes it up for you.

Anyone knows if transfer port on .25 caliber barrel is bigger than the Tport on the .22 caliber barrel?

I can't manage to shoot .25 grain pellets over 880FPS.. . . . . . .
don't they come preported? maybe check and be sure all the o rings are good on the barrel transfer port and pellet probe.. unless you are shooting slugs that are too tight.. in that case I'd try regular and heavy pellets.. if your speed is good then you might need to try a different slug..
just thoughts off the top of my head..
been asked to machine new barrels for the avenger, but they didn't want to ship the gun.. and I always hand fit my machine work.. besides I have machines before digital readings were even available but they work well for me.. and like a rebarrel I'd use the receiver to make the barrel set screws and the machines ledge on the new barrel to get everything tight and exact.. so I just said that if it is not worth shipping across one state line for a price of just retired hobby work.. it's not worth my time.. I don't want to do anything that makes people not completely happy..
they were wanting to rebarrel with a lothar Walther barrel blank, and longer and wanted to make their own moderator adapter and crown.. and I don't want to take a chance that it's not perfect.. I can recrown in the lathe much better and quicker then monkey around with a Dremel by hand.. the Dremel is likely by hand to not be concentric and then who knows where it is going to hit..
if all else fails with your rifle and you are comfortable pulling the barrel you should check by pushing a pellet through it to see if you have tight spots or if it's choked too tight.. especially if you rule out everything else. the two needing a new barrel had either the barrel set screws drilled to deep or tighten too much.. or both because they had indents protrusion into the bore.. and I don't know if it was that way factory or I suspect someone used tools that they should have not touched.. and overtightened them? but it's a guess not seeing it in person..
T patner up this thread will know for sure if different size ports.. he's a great guy.
Mark

Last edited:
don't they come preported? maybe check and be sure all the o rings are good on the barrel transfer port and pellet probe.. unless you are shooting slugs that are too tight.. in that case I'd try regular and heavy pellets.. if your speed is good then you might need to try a different slug..
just thoughts off the top of my head..
been asked to machine new barrels for the avenger, but they didn't want to ship the gun.. and I always hand fit my machine work.. besides I have machines before digital readings were even available but they work well for me.. and like a rebarrel I'd use the receiver to make the barrel set screws and the machines ledge on the new barrel to get everything tight and exact.. so I just said that if it is not worth shipping across one state line for a price of just retired hobby work.. it's not worth my time.. I don't want to do anything that makes people not completely happy..
they were wanting to rebarrel with a lothar Walther barrel blank, and longer and wanted to make their own moderator adapter and crown.. and I don't want to take a chance that it's not perfect.. I can recrown in the lathe much better and quicker then monkey around with a Dremel by hand.. the Dremel is likely by hand to not be concentric and then who knows where it is going to hit..
if all else fails with your rifle and you are comfortable pulling the barrel you should check by pushing a pellet through it to see if you have tight spots or if it's choked too tight.. especially if you rule out everything else. the two needing a new barrel had either the barrel set screws drilled to deep or tighten too much.. or both because they had indents protrusion into the bore.. and I don't know if it was that way factory or I suspect someone used tools that they should have not touched.. and overtightened them? but it's a guess not seeing it in person..
T patner up this thread will know for sure if different size ports.. he's a great guy.
Mark
Thank you Mark...

I've done my homework with the o rings, all are good... thing is my gu wont push a 25 grain pellet faster than 880 FPS even if I increase reg pressure to 2500 or 2800 and hammer spring all the way in....

Is it the hammer strength? Is it the valve? the regulator? transfer port size?

I've seen .25 caliber reg set to 2000 PSI and 25 grain pellets fly from 900 to 950 fps...

So dissapointing...

Thank you Mark...

I've done my homework with the o rings, all are good... thing is my gu wont push a 25 grain pellet faster than 880 FPS even if I increase reg pressure to 2500 or 2800 and hammer spring all the way in....

I've seen .25 caliber reg set to 2000 PSI and 25 grain pellets fly from 900 to 950 fps...

So dissapointing...
yes very disappointing.. you should message tpatner.. he's up farther on this thread I think.. but it is his baby along with the avenger X..he's a great guy and he likely will be able to help you..
I don't know where you are.. but if it was paid try to help you.. but I don't have a chronograph.. at 2500 regulator pressure it should break the sound barrier with crossman premier round nose.. although I'm guessing that you want to shoot heavy pellets but still the umarex gauntlet 30 caliber I think regulator pressure is 2800--2900 and it's pushing a lot heavier pellet or slugs around 1050 fps.. so I'm not sure what the problem is.. id be glad to look at it but I don't know where you live and shipping costs..
I'd try Tyler patner.. he's from pyramid air and the avenger X is something that he has worked hard to get made and available to us..
oh and well I don't know about most people, how they feel but you are welcome to pm me if you want to
Mark

Thank you Mark...

So dissapointing...

I assume the transfer port is set to the High ("H") setting?

Have you tested various hammer spring settings at that reg pressure?

If yes to the above, shoot me a message, I would like to see a few pictures if you don't mind.

Reactions: Robertt777